S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old August 30th, 2014, 11:39 PM   #1
Oicusk82huh

Default Why is slalom so unpopular here?

All summer I've had my cones up in a highly visible place, plenty of people have skated by, everyone loves watching, WHY IS NOBODY SLALOMING HERE????

It's a super high traffic tourist attraction area, many many people go by, I've met lots of nice people, but why?

What is it????!!!! Why? I have to travel two hours by train (and that's before subway and/or bus rides) on my weekends off to have actual people to skate with! I know there are other slalom skaters out there that are in the same boat.

It's hard to understand why the most fun thing on the planet is not enjoyed by more people.

What is it?
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 06:28 AM   #2
Akema

I live in england and have never seen anyone slalom before. Ive only been skating slalom a week or so but i have begun skating in a very public place where i also ride my bike. Im surprised at the level of attention people pay even just to the cones. Had random people taking photos of even me setting the cones up lol. You would think a lot more people would slalom since it is great fun and good excercise. I guess im really grateful as i have a friend who begun at the same time as me. Hopefully we can get some passers by interested.
Akema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 05:37 PM   #3
Rink Rat
Rhythm Skater

There's another thread here called "Slalom requires patience." That's it in a nutshell. To become fluid and skilled takes a lot of practice. Most skaters aren't willing to invest that kind of time. Here's my posting in the thread...

"[G]ave up on slalom, early on, for a lot of the reasons mentioned, not the least of which is that it's boring. Even watching videos of the experts, once you get past the awe, after a while it becomes repetitious. And you end up thinking, 'Wow, that's very cool, but so what?'

The analogy I'd use is that people who are great at slalom are like jazz musicians: highly skilled technically and, often, very soulful and creative. But for the mere mortals among us, playing rock-'n-roll or r&b is good enough to experience the joy of music. So we don't aspire to become jazz musicians. We learn some chords, riffs, cover tunes, and enjoy ourselves.

Incorporating a few slalom moves into my overall rhythm style was enough. I decided life is way too short to become obsessive/compulsive about things that are just hobbies."

Hope this helps!

P.S. On a metaphysical level, submitting to the restrictions imposed by the cones seems to stifle the feeling of freedom associated with skating.
Rink Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 03:40 PM   #4
SVT CAMR
At the rink!

Pretty much what Rink Rat said was nice way of putting it.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 03:14 PM   #5
Oicusk82huh

On a less metaphysical level, with greater discipline comes greater freedom.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 04:58 PM   #6
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Healthy habits are far and few here in the states, let alone one where theres lots of repetition. I suppose thats why it hasn't taken off. Heck even when I was a kid most of the people I knew were at home playing vid games instead of skating/hockey/boarding
Old September 3rd, 2014, 11:38 AM   #7
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

Slalom skaters in the US may be in luck. USARS has decided to put efforts into promoting slalom.

Lets hope they don't fubar it like they did artistic, speed, hockey and derby.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2014, 07:01 PM   #8
WJCIV

Over in the speed forum a couple people also claimed that our discipline is hard, and that is the reason for our low numbers. I don't buy it. Speed skating wasn't any easier 20 years ago (might have been harder with more competition), and many people were just as lazy, but the numbers were much higher. Many other sports are hard to do well, but they still have a recreational following and some people competing on a more local scale.

I think what we are missing is that there is a difference between being an exhibitionist for the sport and being an ambassador for the sport. An exhibitionist shows off and can be fun to watch, but doesn't make someone think, "I can do that." An ambassador reaches out to people and guides them through the initial contact. This does involve more people skills and takes away from your training time, but you might garner more interest.

So instead of just slaloming yourself, every once in a while actually say, "I need a break. Who wants to try?" Don't just assume someone will jump in. If no one says anything, pick out the kid who has been eyeing you the longest and say, "I know you want to try it." When they do try be supportive. Don't try to fix everything at once, and point out the things that are being done correctly.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 12:36 AM   #9
Oicusk82huh

That's a good point. You look at someone like Naomi, and it seems that maybe her biggest gift is in connecting with people. And she's not such a bad skater too. I remember being a little kid and watching the skaters (roller skaters) doing slalom type things in the central park in the 70's. I could not remove myself from their presence. Some of my proudest moments this summer came from introducing non slalom skaters to slalom and having success. (But this was in NY, not close to home) IF I'm lucky (now that school's back in session and I have to do parent type things) I get 2 hours a day skating at this point, and really, what am I training for? Nothing. (It's a great thing my kid is SUPER into skating too.) I guess connecting with people isn't my biggest strength. Maybe I'll just have to leave it alone and chalk it up to bad social skills.

On another note I just want to put out there that I've never had more fun in my life than I've had this skating season. Every weekend off I've been able to go to NY and skate with the dancers and the slalomers. IT DID NOT RAIN ON ANY OF MY WEEKENDS OFF!!!! That's nothing but luck.
Old October 10th, 2014, 08:56 AM   #10
Oicusk82huh

Default Good news everyone!

I found a slalomer in town!!!! AWESOME!!! He's totally hooked!!! Is there any advice you guys found helpful when you started slalom? So much fun skating with others!