S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Outdoor Trails
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Trails Tell us about your favorite outdoor skating trails.

Old August 12th, 2006, 03:56 PM   #1
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Default Tell Us About Your Favorite Skating Trail

Everybody is invited to use this discussion to tell us about your favorite paved skating trail. Please include the country and region or city where the trail is located, and please spell out country/city/province/state names, so skaters from all over the world will be able to find your favorite trail. If you have any photos, we would love to see those also!

In another discussion I mentioned that the TrailLink.com Web site is one of the best places on the Internet to learn about paved skating trails in the United States. You can either search for all trails in a particular state (paved and unpaved) or you can search for all in-line skating trails in the United States. Searching by state is best, because otherwise you get too many search results. The descriptions for each trail indicate whether or not it is suitable for inline skating.

- Kathie

Last edited by Kathie Fry; August 12th, 2006 at 05:34 PM. Reason: changed title
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 05:36 PM   #2
janneman

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieFry View Post
about paved skating trails in the United States.
uhhh where is that?
Old August 12th, 2006, 06:30 PM   #3
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Janneman, I thought that link would be useful, but I would love to learn about similar resources for other parts of the world. Someplace I have a link for a similar Web Site in Belgium. Off to hunt for it...

- K
Old August 15th, 2006, 11:00 AM   #4
janneman

Default irony

Ah, kathie - don't you know me by now?
Never noticed that I *love* to point US citizens to the fact they only form less then 5% of the worlds population and the spot many people consider center of the universe is only less then 2% of the area called planet earth.... ?

Maybe even you do not notice, but there are numerous US-based websites, newsgroups, companies, .... that are solely targeted to this limited area - however pretending they serve everybody everywhere.

When filling out a form on the internotweb it happens quite a lot you can only choose a state in the us - and when you're lucky there is "other" . That "other" covering 98% of this planet - with many cewl skatingtracks
Old August 15th, 2006, 11:18 AM   #5
Pepper Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
Never noticed that I *love* to point US citizens to the fact they only form less then 5% of the worlds population and the spot many people consider center of the universe is only less then 2% of the area called planet earth.... ?
OMG! This reminds me of when I went to Epcot at Disney world! It was freaky because everything was so different. My mother in-law wouldn't/couldn't even eat any of the food. It was as if we were in a different country! It really opened my mind to the idea that not everyone is so fortunate to be from America.

Are you saying that 5% of the world's population is "crammed" onto just 2% of the earth's surface? Look out Mexico and Canada... seems that an "adjustment" of the borders is necessary.

Sorry for being so ridiculous... just playing!
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #6
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
Maybe even you do not notice, but there are numerous US-based websites, newsgroups, companies, .... that are solely targeted to this limited area
Janneman, I have noticed that, and I have noticed that you have noticed it, so I hope you have also noticed that I try very hard not to be one of those sites.

For example, I try to add "U.S." when people post a thread title that only says National Championships, and I try to remember to add USD when I am talking about how much things cost, I try to mention provinces when I mention states, I expand on abbreviations or phrases in other people's titles that might not be understood by non-U.S. visitors, I ask our visitors not to worry too much about spelling in this forum because we have many international visitors, and I try to do anything else I can think of to make this forum and my other Web sites friendly to the international community.

I hope you don't think that because I linked to a very nice search engine for U.S. trails, that I assume all of our forum visitors are from my country, or that it means I only want to hear about trails in the U.S. I think (I hope!) you know me better then that. I love having so many international visitors in our forum, and I will do whatever I can to make all of them feel comfortable and welcome here.

- Kathie

PS: Now you are reminding me that I need to add a "Spelling and Grammer in this Forum" message to the "About This Forum" forum.
Old August 15th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #7
Pepper Montana

Janneman,
Thanks for the thoughts about how we in the U.S. perceive the rest of the world. It is a thought to ponder and the current news from the Mideast reminds us that we need to work together to solve global and regional issues. I am just as guilty as the next person when it comes to shortsightedness and self-centered thinking.
Old August 15th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #8
janneman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morgan View Post
It really opened my mind to the idea that not everyone is so unfortunate to be from America.
yes, you are so totally right there

Quote:
Are you saying that 5% of the world's population is "crammed" onto just 2% of the earth's surface? Look out Mexico and Canada... seems that an "adjustment" of the borders is necessary.
Did you ever noticed watching the globe there is pretty much blue coloured places? That is sea and ocean. Some of the clever people can turn that into living area!

Quote:
just playing!
Try me, smarta$$

and oh, back on topic; look at this!
Old August 15th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #9
janneman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieFry View Post
Janneman, I have noticed that, and I have noticed that you have noticed it, so I hope you have also noticed that I try very hard not to be one of those sites.
Yes, my sweets. I noticed that you do your best because you noticed that i noticed that thingy.

You are also a brave girlie that sets foot aside of your own turf every now and then. But cant help teasing you. sorry (not too much)
Old August 15th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #10
Pepper Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
Try me, smarta$$

My bad, didn't mean to offend. Trying too hard to be funny is all.
Old August 15th, 2006, 03:54 PM   #11
janneman

Default oops

Quote:
My bad, didn't mean to offend. Trying too hard to be funny is all.
ehhh sorry too...absolutely no offense taken
lol are we flooding this forum now to exchange apologies? I now learned "smartass" is not a word easily seen as poking fun.

back to world order and skating tracks?
Old August 15th, 2006, 08:31 PM   #12
skaterdog

Janneman ...how crowded are the trails you skate on?

I'll put that question out to others too. I spend some time on bikeforums.net and there are all sorts of cyclists who considers MUPs (multi-use paths) to be too crowded and dangerous...they prefer the road.

My experience is that of the two MUPs that I use one that is a very smooth 30 miles long is used by very few people.

http://www.lmb.org/pmrt/

And the other which is about 10 miles long is a bit more crowded but still very easy to skate.

http://tinyurl.com/k9le3
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 03:25 AM   #13
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

Default The World

Self absorbed, selfish country called the USA. Hmmm. I need to ponder this one. We do have the World Series for petes sake! We get fat easily. Our President is a World Leader . You can find our culture almost anywhere. Then again we have all the Europeans represented in our country and their cultures to boot. We have other nations represented in our country as well. "We are the world" (Go for it Stevie Wonder)! The way I got it figured if you skate you are a "skater" in this forum. If you don't skate then you are the "other". Now this applies to everyone evenly except Californians who definitely represent the other.:

Almost forgot to post my favorite trail. "A long winding road" (John forgive me) lies next to the Rio Grande River in Albuquerque NM. It is about 15 miles each way, paved and well maintained. It is smooth and level. The up side is you can skate your heart out for as long as you wish without cars, trucks and airplanes. The downside to it are the bicycles, dog poop and folks who own the world and don't like to share. The beauty is found on the South end where the trees conspire to make a shaded almost magical skate. Nothing traumatic, just a trail in the middle of a high desert.

Last edited by motosk8ter; August 16th, 2006 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Forgot to say what I meant to say
motosk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 03:31 PM   #14
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by motosk8ter View Post
Almost forgot to post my favorite trail. "A long winding road" (John forgive me) lies next to the Rio Grande River in Albuquerque NM.
I'll be in ABQ for Christmas. I'll have to work on explaining to the family why my skates take precedence of the presents
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 06:05 PM   #15
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

[QUOTE=mvirtue;430]I'll be in ABQ for Christmas. I'll have to work on explaining to the family why my skates take precedence of the presents [/QUOTE

Just want you to know the weather may have snow and ice in it during December. If the weather is bad you may be forced to skate at Roller King. Not a bad rink, a bit small but a good workout nonetheless. I'd be honored to have someone from the forum skate in Albuquerque! Let me know when you will be here...Phil
Old August 19th, 2006, 04:03 PM   #16
Ice Ramps

Default Favorite place to skate

My all time favorite place to skate is Padova, Italy, well it's really more like three in one listed in order of precedence.
1. "Pratta Della Valle" A huge open area nicely paved, 1996 world cup site for inline speed, each lap is like 1km in length.

2.also nearby is a apx 500m track with slight bank on curves with two rinks in the center of the track. this is really close to above listed #1 like 1/2 mile or so away. it is the FIHP center for training in Padova.

3. "The Amusment Park" also in Padova though not as close as the other two its in a small town on the out skirts of Padova. It had comp trampalines, bowling, putt putt, various rides, pool hall/bar, and a outdoor skate park.

www.iceramps.com
Ice Ramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:11 AM   #17
gbo
once faster than a wocket

skaterdog wrote:
Quote:
of the two MUPs that I use one that is a very smooth 30 miles long is used by very few people.
My parents live 3-4 miles from this trail. I skate it whenever I'm up there and the weather's nice. I tell the mgmt that it's like skating on ice. Absolutely, positively not to be missed. A piece of skater heaven (in my book).

gbo
gbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 04:45 PM   #18
cdsdave

and chances are always there that the rains will eventually set in, soaking the gear:

Online, where do you buy your wheels and what kind of 110's are you using. I want to try another 110 to replace the Supersonic 110's I have been using for the last year and a half. I am looking for a fast but durable wheel since I mostly city skate and need to do t stops often.
cdsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 01:12 AM   #19
online inline

i get my wheels from PC-Vane USA. They are the bomb, which if my slang is at all accurate, is "really good".

The boosters are very hard but good in the rain, the white TrueSpeeds are high rebound but maybe a tad soft, and stink in the rain, and the red TrueSpeeds are in between in hardness and okay in the rain. They come in various widths: 18mm. 20mm. and 22 mm. I think most skaters will feel most comfortable on the 22mm in the 110mm size.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 02:51 PM   #20
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Got some great video footage this morning of one of my favorite trails - it's about 45 minutes long so I have some editing to do, but I'll have it up as soon as I can