S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old April 25th, 2014, 02:41 PM   #1
Derrick

Default That lightning quick one foot turn

I see the pros turn directions on one foot at the blink of an eye. Anyone know how this is done? Are they actually just using front or back wheels and almost skim the other two? Or do they actually scoot the wheels? They don't appear to use an edge. Or is there some other physics I did not think of?
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 03:26 PM   #2
jbgerman

This? Three-Turn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YkgZXtoOY8
jbgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 03:30 PM   #3
Pikaia

You're seeing pivoting on either front or back axle. The wheels on the other axle lift up a tiny bit (a couple of millimeters at most) and swing around. You can try pivoting with both feet down before trying it on one foot.

When going from skating forward to skating backward, I turn my head to look over my shoulder, shift my weight forward to take weight off the back axles, and twist at the hips to turn. With weight off the back wheels, they lift very slightly and spin around. When doing this, I feel more stable if I stagger my feet a bit. If I'm turning to the left (counterclockwise), I position my left foot slightly behind my right foot.

To go from backwards to forward I (attempt to) shift weight to the back axles and (attempt to) swing the front wheels around. But I'm pretty awful at that. I need a lot more practice!
Pikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 08:12 PM   #4
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Sounds like a 3 turn. Stiffish plate, front axle under ball, HARD wheels, part pivot part back wheels sliding. It is done on either edge, if very briefly, weight on the front axle and bring it around. With or without a little rear axle drag. The video above shows it.
Old April 26th, 2014, 02:24 AM   #5
matguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Sounds like a 3 turn. Stiffish plate, front axle under ball, HARD wheels, part pivot part back wheels sliding. It is done on either edge, if very briefly, weight on the front axle and bring it around. With or without a little rear axle drag. The video above shows it.
If we're talking about the turn that's demonstrated in that video it doesn't have to be a stiff frame or hard wheels. I do it on a Mistral with clear ("flexible") cushions that're not cranked down at all and Red (soft/grip) Power Plus wheels. I do pivot on the front wheels and my front axle is under the ball of my foot.
matguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2014, 03:23 AM   #6
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by matguy View Post
If we're talking about the turn that's demonstrated in that video it doesn't have to be a stiff frame or hard wheels. I do it on a Mistral with clear ("flexible") cushions that're not cranked down at all and Red (soft/grip) Power Plus wheels. I do pivot on the front wheels and my front axle is under the ball of my foot.
Ah. Bear in mind, my last "art" skate was a DA45. When I had softer cushions, I had to turn more. I then put a rock hard barrel in with a purple gummie cone. I 3 turned easier. Your Mistral has less action to begin with. I also skated that same art boot with a 10 degree plate. It seemed like the axle flip point came easier on that skate. I have no scientific proof here, but it seems that the sooner a truck maxes out in turn, the quicker it wants to flip. YMMV.
Old May 4th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #7
jotson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgerman View Post
I grew up at that rink! Spent most of the 80's there a couple times a week. Nowadays I prefer a different rink, so I've only been to the Depew rink a couple times in the past 20 years.
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 10:52 PM   #8
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Derrick, can you link a video that has the turn you want to know about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
We do this but use soft grippy wheels, and try to focus on the heel axles not touch the floor. Its something that takes a lot of practice, though a sliding condition is MUCH easier to deal with!

Another type of turn can be executed, typically on the ball of the foot with a flick of your ankle. This type of turn is pretty sick looking even for an experienced skater. I have no idea what its called, I just know how to do stuff. :/
Old July 13th, 2014, 02:36 AM   #9
Derrick

Default Back on three turn practice in the dining room

I totally overthink these turns. It's a bit like my golf swing ( I quit golf years ago, I can slice the ball so bad after 200 yard it hits me in the backside, jk). Thinking too many things at once.

Anyway, I made some progress.

One problem I started with is this: since I was in the dining room I push off to get up to speed and I wasn't totally up over my skate before attempting. That'll pull you off balance.

I also noticed I was trying to do RIB-ROB too much on my toes. One only presses the toe for the flip, right?

I was also trying too much jump around, not enough axel flipping.

Then finally concentrating on the exit helps. The rest comes more natural if I concentrate on the final edge. Just like a jump, just a mohwk jump in my case. Imagine the turn do it.

Told you I over think it.

Well I'm getting better anyway, hope I can do it at speed soon.

Last edited by Derrick; July 13th, 2014 at 01:59 PM. Reason: clarity
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
turn