S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old January 11th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #1
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew24 View Post
And noone has said anything on what the difference between inline and quad skates are. i.e. what they are used for, or what they are good at accomplishing.
Quads are most commonly used at indoor rinks and inlines are typically more for outside, although either can be used in both locations. Inlines are better outside because they are more efficient over long distances and are more stable over obstacles like sticks and rocks. Quads are far more manueverable and are more fun for session skating than inlines. Inlines seem to have taken over most of the specialized disciplines of skating other than artistic. Hockey, speed, aggressive all seem to be exclusively inline. I'm sure there are exceptions, though.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #2
chunchmeow
nyc quad addict

oh Drew if you use the search feature you'll see that we talk about this quite a lot.
chunchmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #3
Bill

For the most part I'll agree with Speedy. However there are a few other types of skating that are quite popular and done on quads. Rink Hockey, very popular in many countries, is a quad sport. Jam skating is mainly a quad sport. Roller Dance, (not Artistic Dance) also more popular on quads. Roller Derby? also on quads for the new/old derby today.

Foe me, it's Inlines outdoor, and Quads indoor. Indoors I'll also skate inlines and still have fun.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #4
Drew24

awesome thanks. So one isnt faster than the other, or more limiting in some fasion.
Drew24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #5
speedysktr
President of Everything

inlines are considerably faster than quads, no question about it.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #6
Bill

Quote:
awesome thanks. So one isnt faster than the other, or more limiting in some fasion.
Inlines are faster, and cover less then perfect surfaces a lot easier. Quad skaters prefer quads for doing what they like to do. The typical fitness inline skates today are too long and too fast for indoors. Hockey inlines are a good match for rink skating, but not everyone likes them.

The quad rink skaters I know, who I skate outdoors, use inlines for skating outdoors. I'm one of the few rink skaters that will on occasion use my inlines for skating sessions.

One big advantage for quads I found are quad skate boots are a lot more comfortable then most inline boots.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 12:51 AM   #7
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS

Go to France, Spain or India. There are outdoor quad skaters all over the place. They also know how to properly build outdoor quads there, not just stick a set of outdoor wheels on a pair of indoor dance skates as is done in North America.

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 07:02 AM   #8
Drew24

So basically inlines = speed, quads = spinning in circles.
Drew24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 09:24 AM   #9
mentally dull

personally I feel lost on Quads, but that's just me
One of the strangest experiences I've had was playing Rollersoccer with mixed teams, ie some people on Inlines, some on Quads - it's such a different game, depending what you're rolling on!
Old January 12th, 2007, 04:56 PM   #10
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS

Quote:
So basically inlines = speed, quads = spinning in circles.
Basically no.

http://www.quadskating.com/videos.html

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #11
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
So basically inlines = speed, quads = spinning in circles
Inline skates are faster then quad roller skates and they handle things like cracks in the road better then quads.

Quad skates are more maneuverable which makes them very suitable for roller dancing, artistic roller skating, hockey, and other skating styles that require maneuverability. Most people at public roller skating rink sessions wear quad skates.

But that being said, there is no reason you can't skate trails in your quads and indoor sessions in your inlines. People do it all the time.

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #12
urbanknight

These searches have bad news for me. My wife tried inlines recently and can't stand them. I don't like quads, and we're trying to find a fitness activity that we can do together. Am I going to feel like I'm standing still if I use my 5 wheel fitness skates while she huffs along on a pair of quads?
urbanknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #13
Greenetuckian

Search for Quadline Skates on this forum. You can see a pair here - Quadlines at Skates.com
Old May 12th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #14
HVSkater

It really depends on what you want to do on the outdoor trails when you are skating. I skate outdoors almost exclusively and I'm on my quads probably 90% of the time.

If you simply want to go fast, in the basic forward position for long distances or you are basically in it for a "workout," go with inline speed skates. Sometimes I do this, but I tend to get bored with it quickly (that's just me; some people live for this style of skating).

If you want to do more "artistic" things along the trail and you are not so worried about just going fast, go with quads. This is what I'm on most of the time becasue I don't really care about going fast. I like to jump, spin, skate backwards, sidesurf, switch-up, practice fancy footwork, and just generally "goof off" along the trail. For me, quads work better for this sort of thing. Not that inlines can't handle it (ie extreme inliners), but it's just more fun on quads in my opinion.

Most skaters I see along the trail are obviously just in it for the workout. They are on inlines and just straight skating at a good pace. And that's fine, but I run also, so I get my workout with that; so when I'm on skates I tend to want to mess around and have fun--this is quad territory IMO.

Another factor is the trail conditions. Outdoor quad wheels do pretty well, but when the trail gets to a certain point with the clutter, using quads will become annoying. Inlines will handle the junk on the trail better. Of course, there is the new qudline also, which seems to be promising in debris fields.

Basically, I feel like I'm in a sports car when I'm using quads and I feel like I'm on a rocket sled when I'm on inline speed skates. All of this is just my take and others may not agree, but it's a very subjective question and the response is prone to be influenced by what the responder is most used to.
HVSkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #15
HVSkater

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanknight View Post
These searches have bad news for me. My wife tried inlines recently and can't stand them. I don't like quads, and we're trying to find a fitness activity that we can do together. Am I going to feel like I'm standing still if I use my 5 wheel fitness skates while she huffs along on a pair of quads?
I would say no... unless you are on speed skates and are seriously training to race. I pass inline skaters all the time on my quads, and they pass me all the time too.

If you are just planning on doing the "typical" skating on bike trails, your wife (depending on her condition and her quad equipment) is just as likely to be waiting for you as you huff along. It's a misconception that quads are slow (unless you are talking racing and comparing them to inline speed skates).
HVSkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:03 PM   #16
merlin
Caribbean Speed Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVSkater View Post
I would say no... unless you are on speed skates and are seriously training to race. I pass inline skaters all the time on my quads, and they pass me all the time too.

If you are just planning on doing the "typical" skating on bike trails, your wife (depending on her condition and her quad equipment) is just as likely to be waiting for you as you huff along. It's a misconception that quads are slow (unless you are talking racing and comparing them to inline speed skates).
Agreed. I flip-flop from quads to inlines all the time (both indoors and outdoors), and so I can say with some surety that in a straight line, quads can keep up with inlines no problem, indoor or outdoor. Top speed isn't quite the same, but in anything other than a flat out sprint, there is no problem keeping up. Indoors on a tight rink inlines have a major advantage, however.

Frankly, individual ability is probably at least ten times more relevant than the inherent differences in the type of skate to anyone but a speed skater.
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #17
roller_dudette
skate addict!

I agree, unless you are going for straight speed, quads can do everything inlines can. I can do ramps on quads, lol, so they can handle the outside good. Just never did heavy trails. I also saw a lady skate artistic on inlines with a 3 wheel set up. Not ideal for dance but it can be done. I think its up to what "feels" better to you. Inlines require more side to side balance, quads more front to back balance.
roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #18
PowerSnatch
Roller Derby Queen

I skate indoors and outdoors in only quads. I have nothing against inlines, but since I play derby, I want to focus on the skates I need for my sport. Inline skate technique is different (double push) and could throw me off my quad game.

With a good set of outdoor wheels, you won't have any problem negotiating rough streets and sticks/rocks. We have about the worst streets here in New Orleans, and we skated through a mardi gras parade this past season.

I'm not the fastest skater in the world, but I can keep up with recreational skaters on inlines with no problem. It's pretty funny to see their faces as they look at my boots. Now, keeping up with anyone who is in a skinsuit and speedboots--not going to happen, but that has more to do with them being faster. It would be the same if I was on inlines.
New Orleans, Louisiana
PowerSnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:54 AM   #19
urbanknight

Thanks! Ability is a factor, as I am generally more active and she had no time to herself until she graduated from college last year. But that will change as she starts getting more involved. I'll see what she thinks of those quadline skates. They should handle the MUP around here nicely, maybe even better than my 80mm wheels.
urbanknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:25 PM   #20
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanknight View Post
Yes, you will be bored, and she will feel bad. I would try to find out what her problem is with inlines. Maybe she just had a bad set of skates.
When I skate with my wife, I use my fitness skates instead of my speed boots, and I keep a fast set of wheels and bearings for my wife's skate. I still have to put on a good show as if I am getting exercise, which is a joke, but I am doing it for her.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote