S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old February 17th, 2010, 05:42 AM   #101
Bill

WENT TO THE CHRISTAIN MUSIC NIGHT tonight. typically I'm the only one, its a good night to practice, as I'm recovering from an injury. it's also the night the special olympics train but to ight therer were 60+ skaters big surprise, second week in a row that has happened. sunday night was also crowded. getting thw feeling rinks are getting a surge in popularity.
Bill I hope so, very nice crowd. having fun.mainly young adults and a few kids.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 03:28 PM   #102
1beastnstl
314 roll 24/7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
WENT TO THE CHRISTAIN MUSIC NIGHT tonight. typically I'm the only one, its a good night to practice, as I'm recovering from an injury. it's also the night the special olympics train but to ight therer were 60+ skaters big surprise, second week in a row that has happened. sunday night was also crowded. getting thw feeling rinks are getting a surge in popularity.
Bill I hope so, very nice crowd. having fun.mainly young adults and a few kids.
Our christian/gospel nites typically have about 150 skaters. I love it because it's a session with fewer kids zipping in and out and the music is more mellow to kinda "groove" to.
Old February 25th, 2010, 01:36 AM   #103
1beastnstl
314 roll 24/7

just a quick update...........my wife and I are going to the "closed" rink tomorrow to assess the building and see if it is worth saving (i REALLY think it is). if it goes well, i'll start a new thread so you guys can follow our journey to rink ownership.

PS....i have seen some post dealing with rinks and the fact that they have 2-3 sessions a week? what is up with that? the two rinks I go to have seesions (general as follows)

MONDAY EASY-MONDAY 45&OLDER 7.00PM-10.00PM PRICE 6$

TUESDAY RINK AVAILLABLE FOR RENTAL 7.OOPM-10.00PM

WEDNESDAY EARLY SKATE 18&OLDER 9.AM-12PM PRICE 4.5$; 35&OLDER 7.O0PM-10.00PM PRICE 5$

THURSDAY NIGHT 30&OLDER 7.OOPM-10.00PM>PRICE 5$

FRIDAY SKATE EARLY SKATE 18& OLDER 9.00AM-12N00N PRICE 4$; PRAISE-SKATE-GOPSPEL-MUSIC-7.00PM-10.00PM PRICE 4$; COLLGE NIGHT18&OLDER 11:00PM-2:00AM PRICE.5$

SATURDAY SKATE LESSONS 10.00AM-12.00 NOON ALL AGE SKATE RENTAL INCLUDED PRICE 4$; SATURDAY TOT SKATE 12 AND UNDER 1PM-4PM PRICE$ 3.50(SKATE RENTAL INCLUDED); TEEN SKATE AGE 13-17 6:45PM-9:45PM PRICE 5$ EVERY ONE MUST SKATE; RINK AVAILABLE FOR RENTAL 11.00PM TILL 2:00AM

SUNDAY EARLY SKATE 18& OLDER 9:AM-12:00PM PRICE 4$; 12 AND UNDER 1:00PM-4.00PM PRICE $3.50(SKATE INCLUDED); FAMILY SKATE 5:00PM-8:00PM PRICE 4$; ADULT SKATEING 25& OLDER 9:00PM-MIDNIGHT PRICE 5$

you can do the math for the rink with 300+ per session (minus sat lessions) BUT tot and teens being in the 900+ range!
Old February 25th, 2010, 03:47 AM   #104
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1beastnstl View Post
PS....i have seen some post dealing with rinks and the fact that they have 2-3 sessions a week? what is up with that?
I think some rink owners have other jobs. They do their day job, and then they run two or three sessions a week... Just a guess for why it might be that way.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:36 AM   #105
1beastnstl
314 roll 24/7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
I think some rink owners have other jobs. They do their day job, and then they run two or three sessions a week... Just a guess for why it might be that way.
I can see that..............

Last edited by 1beastnstl; April 6th, 2010 at 07:28 PM.
1beastnstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 07:40 AM   #106
rlgodbold

Default Rink Closings

Several people have commented about rink rules and such. If a skating rink wants to make money they have to enforce rules. Very few of our skaters are good skaters. The money in the skating business is not in the good skater. It is in the skater that goes skating to have a good time and for social reasons. We normally won't allow backwards skating, everybody must be going just about the same speed or we slow them down, strict gum rule, and only allow food and drink in the snack bar. This makes the new skater or the social skater comfortable and that is where the money is. We have one session a week on Wednesday nights that is geared towards the good skater, we play 70's and 80's disco music and let the speeds get on up and allow shuffle skating and such. Attendance for that session is normally only around 100. Besides that we keep the speed down for every other session.

Good sound, lighting, floor, customer service, rental skates, and rule enforcement are key to having a successful rink. To many rinks try and skimp on all these areas.

Also, here is our schedule:

Fall, Winter, and Spring

Monday: 3 Hours of Inline Hockey
Tuesday: 4 hours of Inline Hockey
Wed: 1:00-5:30 $6 ADM, 7:00-10:00 $5 ADM plus rental, Flashback Wed.
Thurs: 4 hours of hockey
Fri: 1-5:30 $6 ADM. 7-11 $10 ADM
Sat: 10-12 Age 10 and Under only $5 ADM, Sat 1-5 $6 ADM plus rental, 7-10 $9 ADM
SUN: 1-5 $6 ADM plus rental

Rental: $2 quads $3 Inline/Speed

Summer:

Monday: Free Pizza Monday, $6 Adm, 6:30-8:30
Tues-Fri
Weekend Sched. the same.
rlgodbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #107
Boru
Quad's All the Way

I agree with most of these statement, the rink business is not very profitable and requires many hours of work to keep up your image and drum up new business.

But it is key that the Rink Regulars do not run the rink and that there are adults to enforce the rules. On bad apple spoils the fun for everyone.
Boru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 10:53 PM   #108
SkatingBeauty

Default More after school sessions

If possible, I think adding more after school sessions throughout the week could help. Some even provide after-school care, like the jump caslte places do. If I could skate 6 days a week, I would, but with the schedules I am seeing, it would not be possible.
SkatingBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote