S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old April 9th, 2016, 03:29 PM   #1
htcruiser

Default Shuffle?

First I want to thank any seasoned skaters for checking this forum and posting. Second, I have seen skaters cross their legs back and forth while skating forward (not talking about doing crossovers in a turn). Is that called shuffling? Are they just doing figure eights really fast or what is the breakdown of that move. And no idea if I am calling it the right name.

The closest I've seen on youtube for what I'm talking about is the 'figure eight sticky skate' but even that is not totally what I'm seeing other skaters do fast while skating forward.

Last edited by htcruiser; April 9th, 2016 at 05:30 PM.
htcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 12:03 PM   #2
larryoracing

Smile Let me take a shot at this question...lol!

I consider myself an old skater...lol! I don't know if I'm a seasoned skater.

Can I look at this question skating backwards? Two nights ago, I went skating at Northridge, Ca during a College Night. Session started at 9:00 PM and ended at 12:30 AM.

I was skating backwards and looked like a beginner. A beginner will weave his feet in and out, kind of like a fish swimming that waddles through the water. A fish kind of wags side to side as it swims. That's how you learn to skate backwards. You wag your feet one at a time to propels yourself backwards.

Since I had not skated in a long time...I will say one year since I last skated last, I just wagged my feet in and out rapidly to keep myself propelled skating backwards.

Did I look foolish and like a beginner. Heck yes, but guess what, not to many people were skating backwards and I was. After you get better with your balance you learn to glide more on one skate before waddling with the other foot. After a while you gain rhythm and learn to "figure" eight/waddling on one foot and transitioning to the other. It looks like figure 8, waddling, in and out motion/side to side of the feet/skates while skating to the music.

When you think about it what more can you do when you skate to music? You can throw in a jump, a one foot turn/"three turn", swing the legs, do the spits etc, but the basic move will be moving the feet..in and out, weaving/shuffling/figure 8 or whatever you want to call it.

I call it rexing/dancing to music on skates like at a hop on American Bandstand of the late 50's and early 60's.

Sincerely,

Larry O and happy skating....
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 02:49 PM   #3
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post

When you think about it what more can you do when you skate to music? You can throw in a jump, a one foot turn/"three turn", swing the legs, do the spits etc, but the basic move will be moving the feet..in and out, weaving/shuffling/figure 8 or whatever you want to call it.
Cross-pulls, cross-rollls, cross-overs, stroking, moon-walks, arebesque, spirals, spins, weave on one foot, bounce off edges, use the upper body, toes, heels, heel-toe, mohawks,two foot transitions, spread eagle, side surfing. Just off the top of my head, and all of them have lots of variations.

You can do the splits? (Lucky)
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 05:11 PM   #4
htcruiser

So Larry what you're saying is in time the moves come naturally when muscle memory takes over. There is no breakdown per say or something to practice specifically? I can glide and push off from one foot to another. I can start to weave my skates with all eight wheels on the ground (preferred actually). I hate being on one foot.

Derrick, THANK YOU for naming all that stuff. I am limited on vocabulary.

Thanks for your responses.
Old April 10th, 2016, 09:24 PM   #5
DannyBoySk8s
Style Skater

Default How To Shuffle Skate

Hi HT
There should be some Shuffle Skaters at your local rink. A good way to learn to Shuffle Skate would be to follow them and watch what they do and how they move. Better yet, you could ask them to show you how to Shuffle Skate.

There is an old adage, “a picture is worth a thousand words” this is never truer than for those of us who are visual learners. To this end I have added Becky’s video’s on How to Shuffle Skate below. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgEr6-Tf_bU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al9KlV7tgCI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX2jrXqh1jI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-z79M6Bm1o

Cheers,

Danny
DannyBoySk8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 02:05 AM   #6
htcruiser

Awesome Dannyboy, thanks! Those links are great. In the third link around 3:50 is what I've seen other people do and wanted to know how to do it. The people at the rink are so nice to entertain my questions but I could not really get people to understand what I meant because to them it is just skating, I think. lol
Old April 11th, 2016, 07:21 PM   #7
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by htcruiser View Post
So Larry what you're saying is in time the moves come naturally when muscle memory takes over. There is no breakdown per say or something to practice specifically? I can glide and push off from one foot to another. I can start to weave my skates with all eight wheels on the ground (preferred actually). I hate being on one foot.

Derrick, THANK YOU for naming all that stuff. I am limited on vocabulary.

Thanks for your responses.
Yea, I was being overly sarchastic (as usual). I'm sure Larry can out do me on all those elements. Listen to Larry he knows his stuff.
Old April 12th, 2016, 03:03 AM   #8
larryoracing

Smile htcruiser I'm just trying to figure this out too.

There are lots of skaters who skate better than me, but I have always tried to do what they do.

DannyBoySk8s suggested to follow somebody but for these low speed moves I think it can be difficult.

A lot of what these people are doing, I think is UN-weighting the skates. If you can imagine jumping into the air then moving the skates underneath you, the skates would not really have that much weight on them. As you go up you move the skated/wobble the skates underneath you. In and out, side to side, wobble, crossover or whatever.

A lot of skaters do a lot of trick stuff at very slow speeds. Of course when you get better and bolder and confident you can do these tricks at high speed.

There are a lot of suddle tricks that these people do also. Did you notice this girl had no toestops. She also had fairly low top boots and I bet they were not laced up very tight.

I will be quite honest with you my trucks are very loose. You barely have to put any weight on the skates and they will start wobbling. So what this means is you have to be a very good skater to give the illusion of having great balance but the skates underneath you are ready go out of control at any moment....lol!

A lot of people also have very hard wheels. This allows the wheels to slide very easily on the skating surface. Very little Grip, but if you have good balance you give the illusion of being in great control, but if you got off balance you would fall because the wheels are not grippy.

Do me a favor try to skate and kind of jump in the air and while you get airborn /kind of light on your feet try to move the skate below you, side to side..... wobble. If you can get the skate to wobble a little bit you got the basis for the shuffle move. If you are great you can wobble both skates at the same time. Many people can do this and I'm embarrassed to say I can't.

Hope this helps,

Larry O

I just got some old/new stock wheels. They are listed at figure wheels. They roll like crazy. I don't have push and my skates are going very fast down the rink. A lot of these old time skater I see have very old school hard wheels.

Just for the info the wheels are Ex, Caliber/Vanguard wheels 63 mm. I even want to try some harder wheels, but these wheels are so hard/figure wheels that they will cause flat spot on the wheel if you even barely drag the wheel on the skating surface.
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2016, 01:02 PM   #9
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

One thing that's usually common to most shuffling moves is the knees. You're constantly soft on the knees, which allows you to "bounce" up and down.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2016, 10:45 PM   #10
DannyBoySk8s
Style Skater

Default Shuffle Freestyle and Creative Flair

Hi HT:

I just had to add this video to challenge and inspire you!

Once you’ve mastered the art of Shuffle Skating in a forward direction you should be ready to add in your own creative flair. Perhaps slow it down and add in some Rexing (Backwards Skating) and some Free Style. This is when you begin to move and flow with the music as it inspires you. Personally, when the music is right and tight and I’m in the groove, an hour can go by without notice. Slow and easy! See below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwHZT6jDrj8

I just had to add this additional video for your viewing pleasure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev49vpvaXZ0

Cheers,

Danny

Last edited by DannyBoySk8s; May 24th, 2016 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Additional Information
DannyBoySk8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 11:43 AM   #11
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
A lot of what these people are doing, I think is UN-weighting the skates. If you can imagine jumping into the air then moving the skates underneath you, the skates would not really have that much weight on them. As you go up you move the skated/wobble the skates underneath you. In and out, side to side, wobble, crossover or whatever.
Yes, this is why I had a bit of concern about the original poster not liking to be on one foot.
Old April 13th, 2016, 10:47 PM   #12
htcruiser

I could watch that all day Dannyboy. I will aspire to look that effortless someday. And thank you Larry, Chuck, and Derrick for replying.

I decided to start a no pressure skate class for all levels that I really enjoyed. It's nice just to have the place to myself with like minded people that want to groove or learn skills. I just can't believe I waited this long to get back into it.
Old April 14th, 2016, 12:48 PM   #13
JamesH

Hi HT,

Wanted to chime in here with my understanding, disclaimer. I am not a forum veteran I skated from 1988- 2001 and then quit until a few months ago. I do have one interesting perspective. I have skated in the west coast, east coast, south west , mid west and the south as I live in each for multiple years and became a rink regular in each.

Here is my perspective.

Skating style is regional and is similar to accent or dialect. It's interpretive.
When I lived in the west and skated in Cali/Reno/Sacremento/Arizona it was called rexxing and was fast moving predominantly forward facing with exaggerated crossovers, with cool points for an exaggerated slide doing the crossover. More cool points for the fluidity of the movement. It was usually more fun to do in pairs or teams but a solo show off could easily be found. My favorite group of these was called the Reno rexxers- the typical skates were speed skates, color matched wheels, laces and plugs, we wouldn't have been caught dead with figure boots or hi tops

Then in the east and north east I would see very similar skating called shuffling, the movements were less exaggerated with the legs and crosses. The beat movement was the same the general forward facing was the same. - mix of speed skates and artistic skates, even people doing it on blades (yuck)

In the mid west it was called Bounce it's basically just shuffling - Same as east with skate types

Now I'm in the south and none of those terms exists. Here they call it Jam skating , the only people who are any good where I'm at are older adults and it looks like a mixture of all. -All different skate types, haven't seen anyone try it on blades.

Lastly and it seems consistant no matter where I'm at is there are the obviously older people who skated in the 70's and early 80's you will know them because they have high top artistic skates with small wheels and they spin a lot. In the center of the rink or while going around.

The only thing that was so consistent no matter the age or region was the moves in the middle of the rink, since I grew up in the west we called it spot rexxing, or boxing, throw in a grapevine here or there.

Also saying blades in context with any of these things makes me sick. Hope this helps.
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 01:03 PM   #14
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

See if you can find a copy of Roll Bounce somewhere online. There are some good shuffling moves in that movie.
Old April 14th, 2016, 01:44 PM   #15
JamesH

You can stream roll bounce and Atl free online.

Role bounce being more disco/shuffle
ATL being more south and west coast style

My opinion only, I liked ATL more. The music is more in line with what I grew up skating to in the 90's. Same relationships . I remember going and not even skating some times. Just sitting with friends, kissing the girls and drinking soda/pop depending on where I was.

Great times..
Old April 14th, 2016, 01:45 PM   #16
JamesH

They are making ATL 2 I hear as well
Old April 16th, 2016, 01:38 AM   #17
htcruiser

I'm west coast so I'll check those movies out, ATL in particular. Thanks.
Old April 16th, 2016, 01:41 AM   #18
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

I watched both today. I've seen Roll Bounce a few times before and love it. It's centered around skating and has music I grew up with. (I started skating in '74 at age 9)

ATL just had segments of skating and the story wasn't centered around skating. I really didn't care much for it or half of the music.
Old May 6th, 2016, 07:03 AM   #19
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Forward Crossovers Left and Right or ???

Hi,

Yes I am OVER-Seasoned. I would have never guessed that when I restarted skating.

I see Derrick gave you some good names that I know, yet let me just tell you that this is a balance and fun move. And it isn't necessarily called Shuffling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htcruiser View Post
First I want to thank any seasoned skaters for checking this forum and posting. Second, I have seen skaters cross their legs back and forth while skating forward o -o The closest I've seen on youtube for what I'm talking about is the 'figure eight sticky skate' but even that is not totally what I'm seeing other skaters do fast while skating forward.
Done this for years, yet not sure if it has a name. I think it is just an adaptation when you want to have good balance and do stuff funny on your skates. You just flop your one skate on one side and then flop your other skate on the other side of center and keep skating. You could throw some heel kick ups into the equation, or some hand taps of the foot going forward.

Sometimes I have seen Derby gals do this move again just to gain balance on both skates in any situation.

Shuffling COULD have some one or more appropriately a gang in unison doing the move you described, and a whole lot more.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

P.S. Hey Chuck hope you are still going to Skateland on Thursday. Got more stuff to do before I come back on up to Haverhill, MA.. I do miss Thursdays and Connie and Johnny and
Old May 6th, 2016, 12:37 PM   #20
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
P.S. Hey Chuck hope you are still going to Skateland on Thursday. Got more stuff to do before I come back on up to Haverhill, MA.. I do miss Thursdays and Connie and Johnny and
I haven't been to an adult night at Skateland for a while. Mostly, because I have speed practice and/or spin class on that same night and Skateland is a 75 minute drive for me.

I also had an incident at a Saturday that left a bad taste in my mouth about management and security there.

Maybe when I get my new skates from the Doc, I'll head back up there on a Thursday. All of what I didn't like about that other session (kids and skate mates on the floor) are not an issue at the Thursday session.

Last edited by chuckboucher; May 6th, 2016 at 01:48 PM.