S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old February 17th, 2016, 10:16 PM   #1
MischiefNotManaged

Default New high tops dig into calves?

Hello, everyone!

I bought my first pair of skates - cheaaaap skates. Chicago 400? White high top boot with outdoor/indoor wheels (it doesn't give a specific durometer number) - 60mm.

The problem is that the very end of the boot that hits the back of my calves is digging into me? It might just be because I haven't broken them in yet, but I don't THINK it's a lace tightness issue since even when I leave them barely together at the top hook, they still hurt my calves. I'm a bigger girl, and I've always had pretty hard/big calves.

Is this something that breaking in the skates can fix, or should I return these and look into buying a new skate? One that is not a high top. I'm already considering buying new skates come May since I want to attend the Atlanta Roller girls Recreational League beginner sessions, but I wanted more ankle stability while learning to skate the basics because I have piss poor ankles (lots of sprains in my lifetime. If there's a hole in the ground, I will step in it and go down, lol).

Any suggestions? They're not uncomfy otherwise - a bit big originally, but I put in a sole insert that did wonders for cushion and sizing issues.

Thanks in advance!

Edit - it's to the point where, when I take off my skates, I have a huge indent in the back of my calf from where the boot was pressing into me.
MischiefNotManaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 10:52 PM   #2
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MischiefNotManaged View Post
Hello, everyone!

I bought my first pair of skates - cheaaaap skates. Chicago 400? White high top boot with outdoor/indoor wheels (it doesn't give a specific durometer number) - 60mm.

The problem is that the very end of the boot that hits the back of my calves is digging into me? It might just be because I haven't broken them in yet, but I don't THINK it's a lace tightness issue since even when I leave them barely together at the top hook, they still hurt my calves. I'm a bigger girl, and I've always had pretty hard/big calves.

Is this something that breaking in the skates can fix, or should I return these and look into buying a new skate? One that is not a high top. I'm already considering buying new skates come May since I want to attend the Atlanta Roller girls Recreational League beginner sessions, but I wanted more ankle stability while learning to skate the basics because I have piss poor ankles (lots of sprains in my lifetime. If there's a hole in the ground, I will step in it and go down, lol).

Any suggestions? They're not uncomfy otherwise - a bit big originally, but I put in a sole insert that did wonders for cushion and sizing issues.

Thanks in advance!

Edit - it's to the point where, when I take off my skates, I have a huge indent in the back of my calf from where the boot was pressing into me.
The best source of ankle stability is developing those muscles that work the ankle motion.

Unless they have very supple and flexible high ankle collars, choosing high top boots can not only give the problem you report, but they can also hinder the stability enhancing development of your ankle muscles.

You might consider cutting them down to a lower level, if you can't return them.

-Armadillo
Old February 18th, 2016, 01:24 AM   #3
ursle
Street Skater

Eventually, you want to tie them up to around your ankle bones or below, but in the meantime, until you get your balance, tie them a bit higher but not much past your ankle bones, a flat platform(roller skates) is somewhat stable, leave the tops open and let them wear, if they still cut you either get shorter topped skates or as mentioned, cut them, but resale won't happen if you modify them.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 03:27 AM   #4
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Lots of Layers to Potential Helps

Hi and Welcome,

I hope you post here under Beginner and under Derby. I stay away from Derby, even though I love it and them in real life.

<The problem is that the very end of the boot that hits the back of my calves is digging into me? It might just be because I haven't broken them in yet, but I don't THINK it's a lace tightness issue since even when I leave them barely together at the top hook, they still hurt my calves. I'm a bigger girl, and I've always had pretty hard/big calves.>

Since you plan to do Derby, I would get into a Derby Boot which is a low top as soon as possible. I mean I and others can make the transition back and forth yet it is sometimes harder for beginners.

http://bruisedboutique.com/onlinesto...Path=77_93_307

I use the above because I know this store and several of the workers up in Nashua NH. They have a good site as do several others. Click on more links to get the cheaper Derby set ups.

<Is this something that breaking in the skates can fix, or should I return these and look into buying a new skate? One that is not a high top.>

IF you were an Art Skater, OR just had to have a high top (Those skaters do exist) then I would help you out. Yet return to me is the better option to get as much money back as possible.

< I'm already considering buying new skates come May since I want to attend the Atlanta Roller girls Recreational League beginner sessions, but I wanted more ankle stability while learning to skate the basics because I have piss poor ankles (lots of sprains in my lifetime. If there's a hole in the ground, I will step in it and go down, lol).>>

Go On Line and get some Off Skating Ankle exercises. I probably wrote about them years ago, yet maybe I did not. A lot of good stuff in P.Therapy land now days.

I give the below without looking at it. Yet I am sure that some of it is good. They do list stretches as part of the routines. And get to weight loading as soon as you feel it is OK.

http://physicaltherapy.about.com/od/...anklerehab.htm

<The problem is that the very end of the boot that hits the back of my calves is digging into me? It might just be because I haven't broken them in yet, but I don't THINK it's a lace tightness issue since even when I leave them barely together at the top hook, they still hurt my calves. I'm a bigger girl, and I've always had pretty hard/big calves.>>

Read the above and I think I covered NOT sticking with the high top based on your Derby desire.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old February 18th, 2016, 10:46 AM   #5
Derrick

Quote:
Hello, everyone!

I don't do many skate recommendations, but those seem to be less quality than a skater who skate more than a couple of time a year needs.
Derrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2016, 01:05 AM   #6
MischiefNotManaged

Thank you, everyone!! So much!

I've decided to return these skates and get new ones. :3 Derby skates, to be exact. I don't want to be uncomfortable just because I'm cheap, lol. I figure if I'm comfortable, I'll enjoy it more and be less likely to quit skating if it doesn't stick with me.

Thank you for the link to the ankle exercises! I already know a few (read: 2 tops) from when I had PT a couple of years ago, but I don't regularly do them like I should.

I'm moving over to the derby forum to ask a more specific question about gear and skates. Thank you all for replying to this thread!
MischiefNotManaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2016, 02:58 AM   #7
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default You are on The Pathway

HI

Absolutely great,

I knew you were derby at the heart.

Quote:
Thank you, everyone!! So much!

I've decided to return these skates and get new ones. :3 Derby skates, to be exact. I don't want to be uncomfortable just because I'm cheap, lol. I figure if I'm comfortable, I'll enjoy it more and be less likely to quit skating if it doesn't stick with me.

Thank you for the link to the ankle exercises! I already know a few (read: 2 tops) from when I had PT a couple of years ago, but I don't regularly do them like I should.

I'm moving over to the derby forum to ask a more specific question about gear and skates. Thank you all for replying to this thread!
BTW, In the old days 4-5 years ago I saw so so many big big gals SHED Pounds I just could not believe it. Each one worked hard and had some really good trainers in Derby. It was great to watch first hand.

Enjoy Derby, Lots of Work is in front of you. AND Be SAFE, and Do Off Skating Exercises. If you have something uncomfortable TRAIN for it.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave