S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old October 13th, 2015, 05:53 PM   #21
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default The Brain Retrains If We Force It

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcorce View Post
More than an issue of balance - is learning the balance needed for your maneuvers.

I lost all my balance five years ago due to a stroke. o - o
You would have to check technical medical journals for what I am going to write.

Yet from what I know, you have to retrain another part of your brain, and shut down the part that was working before. Continual effort like a little child is needed to regain. A little child with no damage is easier than your brain retrain job. They have a blank slate with chemicals growing them almost everywhere.

Some things can not be fixed, due to aging or injury. In my right eye due to the vitreous material change in older age I have a "Wrinkle" over the macula and scaring tissue, with cones and rods on the retina that will never allow full detailed vision in the Right Eye. On my left knee I have a Meniscus tear, again currently not repairable.

Yours in Science, Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old October 13th, 2015, 11:05 PM   #22
zcorce

I was very fortunate with the part of my brain which died. Most of what I lost can be relearned - many more brain cell available.

Lost ability to see stereo - needed to wear a eye patch at first to keep the double vision from making me sick. Was seeing normal again after two weeks.

Lost control of one vocal cord/fold. Could only talk for a minute or two at a time before I couldn't speak. No issue now but my voice is significantly lower. Wife likes it better this way.

Left side of my body had no feeling. Crazy watching doctor poke me with splintered tongue depressor and not feel anything. Feeling is back but when I am really tired my arm feels like its cold. Happens even on the hottest days of summer.

Lost all balance but not any muscle control. Could get up from sitting and it would take 2 to 3 steps before I would realized I could not stay up. Needed a walker for a week, then a walking stick for a month. Was able to start skating again after a few weeks but am limited but still relearning slowly (Slowly due to not pushing so that I do not fall - my falls are no longer controlled and typically end with me hitting the floor hard).
*) Wheel slide/slip in the corners is totally unnerving.
*) Was a proficient normal, and goofy, side surfer. Now I am only good going goofy.
*) Can go from backwards to frontwards in the counterclockwise direction but the clockwise direction sucks.
*) Can no longer switch skates - even very similar setups are more than I handle at this time.

I am sure that skating has greatly sped up my relearning balance. Obviously what I lost took 50 years to learn - hopefully in another 5 years I will have most of it back.

All in all - I was extremely lucky.
zcorce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2015, 05:07 AM   #23
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Thanks, Turning

Thanks

I just lost my entire note by some backspace or what>. Burns me up when I try to be personable and associative and then the PC does me IN.

In closing after my long note back to you, I wrote that turning in both directions is difficult for even experienced skaters. It takes lots of concentration, SO since you are working on it you are doing the left side, right side, eye brain trade off. Good

Also I wrote, work on those things you can figure out that caused the Stroke in the first place. My wife works now with a Director that has had a Stroke and it seems like she is repeating some high performance, no time for her activities.

Now Skating is Great, and going in circles in complex ways is great, yet learn to lay down and rest every single element of your body after a Skate. That rest or meditation takes work too. Every finger, every toe RELAX and stress it out.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave