S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old July 6th, 2015, 11:25 PM   #1
Oblivionrising

Default Back in the game!!

Well, it took a while, but I am back to skating. I dusted off my skates last night, got my indoor wheels back on my skates. And I am totally hitting the rink tomorrow. I am still terrified of skating on Houston sidewalks and parking lots, they are all horrible with cracks and rocks. It's like a death trap out there.
Oblivionrising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 07:21 AM   #2
FRGL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivionrising View Post
Well, it took a while, but I am back to skating. I dusted off my skates last night, got my indoor wheels back on my skates. And I am totally hitting the rink tomorrow. I am still terrified of skating on Houston sidewalks and parking lots, they are all horrible with cracks and rocks. It's like a death trap out there.
Me, too! I've been off the wheels for 2 months while I recovered from a broken wrist. This is my first week back.

Have you considered all-terrain/nordic skates?
FRGL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 01:29 AM   #3
fierocious1

Default quads and outdoors

never did it for me. Too risky on unswept paths or skating areas. I used to skate under covered areas in town but kept having to sweep them first. Got old quick. Glad to see you are back.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2015, 10:26 PM   #4
cbergens

Default Considering returning to skating.......

I wonder if you could read my post in the general discussion entitled Should I return to skating? by Cbergens.

I had a bit more than a broken wrist due to a bad fall and having a hard time deciding wether to return to skating or not.

thank you!
cbergens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2015, 03:23 AM   #5
Dontburnout

A ship is safe in harbor, but that is not what ships are for.

Give the nature of your injuries, you should consult a sports doctor. Tell them how you feel and ask if your body is at any extra risk. Mental health is pretty damn important. Namaste.
Dontburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015, 05:22 PM   #6
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Yep RETURN to Skating

Hi cbergens,

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbergens View Post
I wonder if you could read my post in the general discussion entitled Should I return to skating? by Cbergens.

I had a bit more than a broken wrist due to a bad fall and having a hard time deciding wether to return to skating or not.

thank you!
Look this sounds like my wife. One fall 40 yrs ago or is that 50 and she can't skate of even give it a chance. Some people are RISK Disabled.

You can check me out on this site for my badly busted lip at skating indoors. Yep bad as all get out, yet I came back. It was my most recent skating fall. Also had a step ladder give away on me, a few days ago, and am back working outside on stones for a shrub box, and loam for the yard. BtW The old 40 yr step ladder is finally a goner. Also crashed into a blader who fell in front of me indoors and dang thought I broke my ribs, nah. That one was hard sleeping for a few days. Broke a foot too, not at skating, and I have a blog post on that one. That was a scary one on coming back. Never knew skates were so dang high. And a few more falls and scrapes over the years including a broken wrist. And Shoe Laces coming untied can give you a nasty hiney bruise.

I planned to go blading again this year yet too many projects and yard work has me piled up. Bought more wood last night to fix some of my deck. Even know the RollerBlades I want (from a 20 yr old skater) yet Dang it can't GO. And I miss skating with this kid and his brother.

Anyway from me, almost 67, and if you read the Derby Gals who have had far worst injuries than me.

YOU can come back. And Skate WELL

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
P.S. As always being P.C. check yourself out with OnLine info, or go to a Doctor or Clinic to make sure you are able
Old August 16th, 2015, 10:11 PM   #7
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Pad Up/ Helmet Up/ Roller Gal

OK,

If you are afraid to return, and have been checked out by you or some medical person. Pad On Up and restart skating indoors. Now I know it looks like a Dork to be padded on up, unless you have seen tons of Derby Gals starting from almost NO Coordination.

Get a Helmet, Wrist Pads, Knee Pads, and basically look like a Derby Doll. In Addition Harold SkateVideoGuy has some full butt pads that many others use to protect from a Tail Bone Fall. Harold from Kansas is older than me by a year I think 68 or 69 and still does Art stuff that makes him sometimes fall. They fit under tights and are not bulky, a gal from NewZ or Aussie made these herself with her sewing. BTW I should buy a set of these yet don't fall enough that way. I know excuses.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave