S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum > Buying Skates
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Buying Skates Tips and advice about buying aggressive skates plus information and opinions about all of the different aggressive skate models.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 08:08 AM   #1
therealdjiceman977th
DJ Iceman @Skatelan.

Default I'm picking my Christmas gift? Wow..

Okay, so my parents want to know what I want for Christmas. I told them a new pair of skates. They said which ones? I have no idea >_< A couple of my friends said the Carerra's (spellcheck) at the rink ($142) were good starters, and I was looking at some on sites like the GTX500. I'm probably going to be skating REAL fast () and probably try to learn how to jamskate, and I don't want to invest a sh*tload of money. Which would be better? As long as it's under $200, I'll be happy.
therealdjiceman977th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:16 PM   #2
biffsk8er

For 215, you could get THIS. Once you go under 200, the quality goes way down. You could get THIS for 160. However, I like THIS for 173.

If you want to look at these skates, go HERE.
Old December 9th, 2009, 06:24 AM   #3
ameliak

I've been skating on Carreras for the past month or so, and I'm liking them. (I know how to skate well, but am a beginner to roller derby and all the skate terminology.) The wheels that come with them are pretty hard and should be great for indoor speed skating. The Abec rating of the bearings is only a 3, so you may want to upgrade as you get better. The pros will tell you Carreras aren't the best, but they're really fine for a beginner/semi intermediate. Don't waste your money on expensive skates until you progress as a skater and know what you want in a skate. Wheels and bearings are easy to upgrade, and when the time comes to upgrade skates you'll know.

As for sizing.. Should be the same as your shoe size (I'm assuming you're male.. if not, chose one size lower than your shoe size). I've heard it's imperative to try a skate on before you buy it. Even if your local skate store doesn't have Carreras, another Riedell boot may be fine.
ameliak is offline   Reply With Quote