S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum > Buying Skates
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Buying Skates Tips and advice about buying aggressive skates plus information and opinions about all of the different aggressive skate models.

Old June 22nd, 2012, 04:55 AM   #1
D Major

Default Short forward vs standard mount for vert skating

Hi :-)

A possibly naive question - and I know the eternal argument of SF vs standard has been done to death for other types of skating.

My 11 yo daughter has gone mad for vert skating, but particularly loves bowls. She was playing junior derby and has an extreme short forward mount on cheap SA10 plates. She has good balance, so not having the wheels under her heels doesn't concern her too much. While she loves the agility the forward mount gives her, she lacks a bit of speed so can't get the height she would like and being forward/on her toes on the ramps all the time does tend to crunch her toes a bit after a while.

But the biggest problem with the short forward mount for her (specifically) is the trucks are so close she can't fit in a (nylon) grind bar because her feet are so small [... the casual way she does drop ins without one is terrifying]

She's just about to outgrow her current skates, so we need to put something new together for her and I'm particularly interested in views on plates (and, to a lesser extent, trucks) for vert skating.

Other than that "falling backwards" feeling of having a very short forward mount when dropping in, are there any vert skaters out there who can share their opinion (based on the experience of trying multiple set ups) on the pros and cons of a short forward mount vs standard mount - specifically as it relates to vert skating?

Also, I know it's been done to death in other disciplines, but is there an experienced view on the pros and cons of SA vs DA on ramps? Seems to me that the DA will make pivoting and whatnot more straightforward, while the SA will be better for the lumpy surfaces. It's going to be the usual 'try them both and see' thing, isn't it? ;-P

Hope that all makes sense and someone is able to help out :-)
D Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 01:35 AM   #2
G-Man
Derby skater, ex rink-rat

I skate a short-forward mount on my speed, road & derby skates. I finally found something that short-forward isn't good for... ramp skating. I'm going to mount a longer plate on my ramp skates.
Old June 24th, 2012, 07:43 AM   #3
biffsk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
I skate a short-forward mount on my speed, road & derby skates. I finally found something that short-forward isn't good for... ramp skating. I'm going to mount a longer plate on my ramp skates.
Good call!
Old October 12th, 2012, 05:09 AM   #4
D Major

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
So yeah ... turns out this is exactly right. The additional things that can be done with a longer plate and wider trucks is unbelievable. Although watching someone drop into a half pipe backwards is kinda scary.

Went with the xk4-da10s with wide trucks and the nylon grindbar. They may be heavy but they can take a pounding and they're rock solid.

Thank you for the feedback.
D Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 06:06 AM   #5
biffsk8er

No prob! Always use wider trucks and a longer wheel base for ramps! It's the only way to go.

Tags
plates, ramp, vert