S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old February 5th, 2008, 01:40 AM   #1
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Default Hammer Recoverite, Couple of Gels, and Honey Review

Tried some new products (for me) last long skate.

I had a mocha flavor Clif gel thing. It was like chocolate frosting. Mighty fine.

I had a raspberry Hammer Gel. Tasted like raspberry jam. Mighty fine.

After I finished I had some Hammer Recoverite recovery drink. Oh, man, it was awful. There was some kind of weird gacky sweetness to it, like Big Red soda has. I would recommend whatever homebrew you can figure out on your own (or just rip off O/I's recipe) wayyyy before I would recommend this stuff. Maybe it's good for me, or builds character, or something, but, bleah.

After eating the gels, I was wondering about just drinking honey, or honey with some electrolyes in it, on a long skate. Does the type of sugar in honey make it slower to absorb, or something negative like that? I did a search and I don't think that this has been seriously discussed lately...

Last edited by Bill in Houston; February 12th, 2008 at 03:57 PM.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:02 AM   #2
BHerrick
I can haz speed?

I really like the using the gel. I had the rasberry(have to order more) and the tastes pretty good. One of the skaters I know is in a bike club and him and a # of people in his club use it as well.
After your review of the drink I think I'll stick to Accelarade.
I know different sugars have different absorbtion rates though I couldn't say which. Usually gels contain a few forms and honey would only be one. Taste good. Maybe it would help the taste of your Recoverite.
Old February 5th, 2008, 03:04 AM   #3
online inline

Another strategy, if gels and recovery drinks don't interest you, is to go for recovery snack, which is basically some kind of easily digestible snack consisting of carbohydrates and protein, consumed preferably within about 20 minutes of finishing your workout.
Some examples are yogurt with fruit, yogurt smoothie, bagel and cream cheese, turkey and cheese sandwich on whole wheat bread, nuts, etc.
There's a lot written about this, and i bet if you google post workout recovery snack, you'll have more than you care to read.
Hydrating properly after a workout is probably even more important, and hydrating during is a good idea, too.
I like a recovery drink just becuase it covers both bases and it's convenient. You might want to throw a little protein in if you are trying to build muscle mass.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 10:05 AM   #4
speedysktr
President of Everything

I tried the Hammer product called Heed in the Mandarin Orange flavor and I have to say it tastes pretty bad (kinda like watered down Tang except worse) They're product line is so diverse, I'm not sure where to put it, but I'd most likely lump it with Gatorade. Not quite the horsepower of Accelerade. I haven't given up on it because if it works better it, taste will become secondary. It wasn't so bad that it would deter me if I was out on a hot, hard ride so maybe that's the real test.

edit: I'd be the first to admit that I still have trouble getting past the taste of things. We have to remember that food is fuel when we are working out. It's always fuel, but taste should be secondary when you are working out. Ease of consumption when you are physically stressed seems to be the standout factor for me. Anybody remember a little thing called a Powerbar? Sheesh, does anyone even use those things anymore other than for a jaw workout?

Last edited by speedysktr; February 5th, 2008 at 12:06 PM. Reason: corrected the name of the HEED
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #5
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

I have never understood the appeal of a PowerBar. I think I burn more calories just chewing and digesting one of those than the bar contains. Yeech.
Old February 6th, 2008, 12:20 AM   #6
gopherfan

I think a lot of the negativity towards Recoverite and Heed are the lack of simple sugars. Recoverite has 2g of sugar. I believe Endurox is around 20g (both are recovery drinks with protein). IMHO, simple sugars should be limited for exercising and eliminated otherwise. A few years ago I stopped eating simple sugars as part of my regular diet. This may be why I don't mind the taste of Recoverite. I actually think it tastes sweet, but I would not expect many others to agree. I'm surprised the gels aren't getting the same bland tasting review.
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 01:42 AM   #7
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherfan View Post
This may be why I don't mind the taste of Recoverite. I actually think it tastes sweet, but I would not expect many others to agree. I'm surprised the gels aren't getting the same bland tasting review.
To me the Recoverite was grotesquely sweet. I can't even describe it. It was sweeter than sugar. It was like sugar with nutrasweet and saccharin. Anyway, it's not for me but I hope it works great for those who like it.
Old February 11th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #8
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Sooo, I tried honey on my long skate this weekend. Seemed to work well. I started the skate without having had a real lunch, so I was in a bit of a food-deprived stated already. I had a big slug at about 40 minutes, and some more at about 1:20 (out of 2:05 total time skated). I drank some very watered-down gatorade to wash it down.

My total consumed was about 4.5 ounces at 1030 calories per cup, so about 570 calories worth.

No stomach upset or bloating or anything like that.

Worth experimenting with further. Might try to add electrolytes to it and only drink water.
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #9
speedysktr
President of Everything

Oh snap, I completely flaked out on the honey thing. I've been using honey as a pre-training food for some time. I take a large tablespoon of peanut butter and make a dent in it (like a gravy pool in mashed potatoes) and fill it with honey. I hork that down and then add a little more honey to the spoon and finish it off. I do this and 16 oz of accelerade before indoor practice on sundays and have never felt short of energy. It's a nice little dose of fuel without being too heavy. Also, before I leave for practice, I'll down another 12-16oz glass of water. I usually drink mostly gatorade during practice, but sometimes water.
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #10
speedysktr
President of Everything

If the honey thing was working, you could fill a GU flask with it and be all set.
Old February 11th, 2008, 11:01 PM   #11
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
If the honey thing was working, you could fill a GU flask with it and be all set.
Instead of taking the little bear? :-)

Thanks for the tip. I was thinking of the gu flasks, too.

I like the peanut butter idea too. I need to try that.

I probably should have made a different thread for the honey stuff instead of wandering off like I did... At least the "search" feature will pick it up in the future...
Old February 13th, 2008, 01:15 AM   #12
sk8scott

Count me among those who think energy gels are vile, and power bars sit in the gut like a ton of bricks. My next experiment for long-distance skating fuel will be jelly beans. No-nonsense simple sugars, don't melt, non-sticky...what's not to like? A small bag of those could keep me rolling all day!

----Scott
sk8scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:43 PM   #13
gospeedracer

Simple sugars make most crash though. This is why more and more products are using Sucrolose (which is what Splenda is made of). Sucrolose is several times sweeter than sugar with no calories or nutritional value at all. Plus sucrolose doen't give you the huge amount of insulin swing like simple sugars. Most Gels have Dextrose or Maltodexstren. I don't use anything with High Fructose Corn syrup. Simple sugar is just another name for processed table sugar, not good. Many people can't use simple sugars because of the upswing in insulin and then down spiral (crash) way below their limit. Its been studied that simple sugars deplete your endurance. I know a guy who cut out all bread and sugar in his diet and he lost 70lbs in a matter of months. Plus his energy level went through the roof. I like and take the "Advocare" line products. I mainly use the Sports line though. The energy products are great and give me many more hours of being able to maintain my miles of skating. It is a distributor sell only type company but I don't push it as a distributor....I just take the product. On another note, there are dozens of types of Caffiene out there so not all energy drinks are made equal. Caffiene is put into drinks mainly as a carrier to the brain neurotransmitters.....gives you a boost.