S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old February 7th, 2014, 02:34 AM   #1
hdmx539

Default Moxi skates?

What do you guys think of Moxies for outdoor skating?

Right now I have decided if I were to try outdoor skating again, my short mounted Bonts won't do. I need a longer mount for stability. I currently have a pair of Labeda Knight Rider G-80 quad speed skates that I started to be quite successful with in outdoor skating. (Until I took a spill got road rash on my thigh about the size of my hand. )

So I'm thinking that, for me, some ankle support and a standard mount (or maybe even a longer mount? ) for outdoor skating might be my best bet.

For those who <3 inlines, thank you, but I will pass. Inlines and I don't do well together, hence why I am posting in the "Outdoor Quads" forum.

I do have a wide foot. As an alternative to Moxies, I'm considering Sure Grip's Boardwalk skates.

I'd really like to try outdoor skating again, but I'm really scared (I almost typed "skared" ) of falling. I do that A LOT when outdoors. I'll be going bike trail skating so at least I won't worry about cars.

Thanks.
hdmx539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 03:49 AM   #2
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Well…… there is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR17...layer_embedded

Kinda-sorta seems like it works ok outdoors.
Old February 7th, 2014, 04:12 AM   #3
hdmx539

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Well…… there is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR17...layer_embedded

Kinda-sorta seems like it works ok outdoors.
Why am I not surprised to see this post??? LOL

In fact, while I don't expect to instantly be turned into Ms. Steilen, it was this video that piqued my interest in the skate.

Btw, I grew up in Long Beach and I did used to ride my skates and bike.along the beach. *sigh* I so miss home.

Anyway, I wonder about the quality of the skates.
Old February 7th, 2014, 05:22 AM   #4
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

The Moxi Lolly is the suede leather candy colored boot with a Triton plate. Workable for an outdoor skate. I didn't see a price though.

Estro-Jen is cool peeps. She is always up to something. An energizer bunny she is. And MAN, can she hip check.
Old February 7th, 2014, 01:48 PM   #5
ursle
Street Skater

You've got comfortable boots and plates, why not just get a set of Krypto rt59's, and use what you've got, smaller wheels turn in smaller circles, and are easier to start and stop. What's the big deal with outdoor skating, find a tennis court and skate there, unless you need a crowd outdoor skating is still skating, and it's free...
I would advise wrist guards, sunglasses and earphones, get some hours in.

Those skates (G-80 quad speed skates) the boots would melt in a month, those plates would distort and to ground you would go, those wheels and bearings would...end up in the trash.

BTW, I happen to have a set of lightly used rt59's, 50$ in your hands
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 02:32 PM   #6
Fancy-Kerrigan

I too love the look of those skates, however I would caution a new skater about going from a boot with no heel (your Bonts) to a boot with a heel and back. For a couple reasons:

1. your weight distribution on a boot with a heel is going to be different.
2. Even after one skate with the heeled boot your body will get used to it being there and you will have the sensation of falling backwards when you go to skate in your bonts again. Not every second, but for those times when you would shift your weight to the back wheels.

I really don't think that your outdoor boot is all that bad. If I were you I'd skate it like I stole it. I don't think you need different equipment, I really think what you need is just time and experience at free range skating. Maybe head out with some girls that are more experienced at it and watch what they do. Possibly they can give you some tips that will help you.
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 04:37 PM   #7
hdmx539

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
You've got comfortable boots and plates, why not just get a set of Krypto rt59's, and use what you've got, smaller wheels turn in smaller circles, and are easier to start and stop. What's the big deal with outdoor skating, find a tennis court and skate there, unless you need a crowd outdoor skating is still skating, and it's free...
I would advise wrist guards, sunglasses and earphones, get some hours in.

Those skates (G-80 quad speed skates) the boots would melt in a month, those plates would distort and to ground you would go, those wheels and bearings would...end up in the trash.

BTW, I happen to have a set of lightly used rt59's, 50$ in your hands
hehe, thanks.

I don't use the wheels that came with those skates, I put Radar Pures on them. And when I go out with the Bonts/avengers I seem to CONSTANTLY be falling and not be at all stable. So I was looking for a standard plate mount (or a longer mount.)

BTW, believe it or not the plates on the G-80s are far sturdier than the ones on the R3s I had. (I have since given away the R3s to an occasional session skater who likes how much of a "cushioned ride" they feel to her. :P )
Old February 7th, 2014, 04:39 PM   #8
hdmx539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Kerrigan View Post
I too love the look of those skates, however I would caution a new skater about going from a boot with no heel (your Bonts) to a boot with a heel and back. For a couple reasons:

1. your weight distribution on a boot with a heel is going to be different.
2. Even after one skate with the heeled boot your body will get used to it being there and you will have the sensation of falling backwards when you go to skate in your bonts again. Not every second, but for those times when you would shift your weight to the back wheels.

I really don't think that your outdoor boot is all that bad. If I were you I'd skate it like I stole it. I don't think you need different equipment, I really think what you need is just time and experience at free range skating. Maybe head out with some girls that are more experienced at it and watch what they do. Possibly they can give you some tips that will help you.
I'm really glad you brought up those two points, especially #1. That was also a concern of mine. I was thinking about this and the Moxi skates this morning and I kept thinking, it's bad enough I already put too much weight on the front of my feet. Maybe I shouldn't get a boot with a heal like the Moxies and get used to it.

Excellent point. I'll pass on the Moxies, as cute as they are....
Old September 5th, 2014, 05:04 AM   #9
psychointraining

I'm wondering if these are good too. I love the look of them!

Estro-Jen rocks these skates, but it seems like she'd rock anything.

I'm currently rolling Starfire 500's (which do have heels) so if the quality of the Moxi's are good then I'd gladly buy a set.

Thoughts?
psychointraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2014, 11:43 PM   #10
Live2sk888
Skate Whisperer

The Moxi boots do run narrow. I have to order a narrow in Riedell speed boots, but the regular width Moxi was already pretty narrow on me. I have not tried on the Boardwalk yet but I would bet that it runs wider, just because every Sure Grip boot I've ever tried on ran wide.

Also, going from a heel to no heel will feel strange at first, but after a while you probably won't think twice about it.
Live2sk888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2014, 02:14 AM   #11
psychointraining

Cheers Live2sk888

Thats perfect for me actually, I've got small and narrow feet. Good to know that they do run narrow, I always look for that in any shoe etc.
psychointraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 06:25 PM   #12
Eleone

I wanted to buy the Moxi's too, but I couldn't find my size in Europe so I ended up buying the SureGrip Boardwalk. I was very disappointed at first, but I hadn't realised that the new model of the Moxi skates has a cheaper plate and worse bearings. I don't know why the quality has gone down but the price stayed the same...
Anyway, I don't know if I'm contributing much to the discussion, sorry , but I wasn't aware of the existence of the new model, and since there seems to be some confusion in the online shops I checked out (mixing pictures of the old model with the characteristics of the new one) I figured out I should write this just in case it helps someone decide.

But yes, the Moxi's do look great!
Eleone is offline   Reply With Quote