S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old March 10th, 2011, 05:33 PM   #1
wm_b
Upgrade to matching shoes

Default A massive bruise has appeared

about half way up the inside of my thigh on one leg and there is a faint discoloring on the other one. I just cranked up my skating over the last two weeks and really worked hard as well as moving up to 100mm wheels. Could skating have caused this?

The only place on my body where I've really felt any lingering soreness has been the muscles on the inside of my thighs but I was totally surprised when I saw this massive bruise this morning. I took two days off because work and got back to skating today.

Wm.
wm_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 04:59 AM   #2
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm_b View Post
about half way up the inside of my thigh on one leg and there is a faint discoloring on the other one. I just cranked up my skating over the last two weeks and really worked hard as well as moving up to 100mm wheels. Could skating have caused this?

The only place on my body where I've really felt any lingering soreness has been the muscles on the inside of my thighs but I was totally surprised when I saw this massive bruise this morning. I took two days off because work and got back to skating today.

Wm.
I would see a Doc. asap. this could be bad.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 05:11 AM   #3
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Sounds like a Blood Clot

Hi wm_b

Normally this is AbNormal as all Hell,
I mean bursting output heart blood or back to the heart blood that shows
on the skin surface is NOT good!!

My only guess is a Blot Clot so I agree with Slow

Get ThySelf to a Doctor in double time.

Yours in Skating, Health, MA/NY Skating Dave

P.S. Crap happens, just fix it and then return to skating

Edit-01: If you still haven't gone before you read our replies, please take an aspirin. And give us some feed back when you find out what happened. My hope is for a GOOD come back to Skating

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; March 12th, 2011 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Take an Aspirin
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #4
wm_b

Well, I haven't been to a Dr and the bruises are fading but still present. I've skated about 25 miles after a taking a couple days off for work (also when the bruises appeared). The sore muscles I was experiencing after a week of intense workouts (80+ miles in 9 days is something I haven't done in a long time) are not sore at all.

My gf is a nurse and after some discussion with her the bruises may have been self inflicted by firmly massaging the muscles after the last 16 mile skate before my two day break.
Old March 15th, 2011, 04:00 AM   #5
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

hey, here's a hint. Get your nurse GF to do the massaging. Tell her that it is obvious that you don't know how to, and she is trained to.

This is a no brainer.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 04:46 AM   #6
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default See a Skin/? Doctor

Hi Again wm_b,

Since you might not yet be dead I will reply again.

Again I would check this out with an appropriate doctor. A Dermatologist is one thought, a hematologist another. Something is really off on you getting these bruises. Don't buy the massaging UNLESS you are one of those that - - easily skin bruise. It happens.

BTW, Dermatologists are known to be a little weird (funny), and can be a bit funny if you like dry humor.

As for nurses, RNs, LPNs, etc, lets just say I would still see a Doctor of the appropriate specialty. Know several nurses and they cross the spectrum. One would not let her kids take a day off from school and would have them go almost puking. She was a nice lady and very responsible on night shift, YET.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old March 20th, 2011, 01:01 AM   #7
topcarbon

I third the decision to go see a doctor......stat.

massaging should not cause bruising. Heavy activity and sore muscles do not cause bruising.
Old March 26th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #8
Myuu
Svoxy is not Boxxy.

Depending on etiology, you could end up with a vascular surgery consult.
Old March 28th, 2011, 03:43 AM   #9
wm_b

Not dead yet.

The bruises have gone away. I think I traumatized my groin muscles by over exerting myself on my new 100mm wheels. My normal skate at that point started with a 3 mile uphill climb interrupted by really steep sections every few hundred yards. Each of those steep sections was really challenging on my initial outings. I suspected lots of stuff but I'm pretty sure that's it. A groin muscle injury can cause bruising in the inside of the thigh and it's pretty consistent with my experience.

The bruises persisted for about a 10 days or so after they appeared and would seem to flare up (become more visible) after a skate (I pretty much skated every day from the point where they started). After some weather kept me off the trail for about 4-5 days the bruising completely disappeared and didn't show up again when I resumed skating. I've skated about 70 miles since the bruises have gone away without any signs of them returning.

Otherwise I am healthy and skating faster and longer than ever. It was definitely a concern when it occurred and I thank everyone for their suggestions.
Old March 30th, 2011, 02:12 AM   #10
PBLsQuad450

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWI-Sheldon View Post
hey, here's a hint. Get your nurse GF to do the massaging. Tell her that it is obvious that you don't know how to, and she is trained to.

This is a no brainer.
Unless you are actually dead...

+1 over and over....
PBLsQuad450 is offline   Reply With Quote