S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old August 20th, 2009, 11:26 PM   #1
Ignatz
Brick House

Default Can ANY outdoor quads compare with inlines?

My question, are there ANY outdoor quad skates that offer as smooth a ride as inlines? I've tried classic Quadlines and was very disappointed. Still, I'd prefer quads if I could find some that didn't feel bumpy. My outdoor surface is medium asphalt (paved park trails and oval around football field)
Ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 12:04 AM   #2
Mystic
SWM So Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
My question, are there ANY outdoor quad skates that offer as smooth a ride as inlines? I've tried classic Quadlines and was very disappointed. Still, I'd prefer quads if I could find some that didn't feel bumpy. My outdoor surface is medium asphalt (paved park trails and oval around football field)
Big soft wheels equal a smooth ride.

We just started a wheel review thread. Here

Hopefully we can get them all reviewed soon.

www.socalskatingreviews.com
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 01:51 AM   #3
Armadillo

Default More than TWO axles is what smooths the inline ride

Quote:
The challenge of quads outside is NOT so much the smaller wheel size, it is MORE the result of having ONLY TWO axles. This means wheels/axles are certain to ALWAYS pivot up & down => dropping into and rising back up out of cracks, holes, pits, etc. This generates VIBRATIONS.

With 3, 4, or 5 axles, the inline wheels hold each other up so they do not fall into every surface imperfection. This is a tremendous smoothness advantage! Quadlines do not add any axles & so do not overcome this disadvantage.

Yes, the bigger wheels do help some, but the multiple axle advantage is the main reason for inline smoothness.
The 70mm size quad wheels of the softer 78A-82A hardness help a lot - especially the good formula ones like Velocity Race & Twister.

Getting much of your weight off your front axle also helps. The longer plate forward mounted addresses this too, as it reduces the amount of force driving the front axle up & down as it passes over surface imperfections.

-Armadillo
Old August 21st, 2009, 03:48 AM   #4
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
My question, are there ANY outdoor quad skates that offer as smooth a ride as inlines?
Nope.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 08:06 AM   #5
CARTchamp

Quote:
Can ANY outdoor quads compare with inlines?
This question really has more than one answer. The black and white answer is no, inlines are better suited for the rough surfaces encountered outdoors.

Now when you factor in that you prefer quad skating then there is no comparison, you won’t get the same skating experience out of inlines because they are to totally different pieces of equipment. A lot of people fear quads outdoors these days but I say bah. As long as you are a reasonably good skater and have a real outdoor wheel and really good one at that you’ll be fine. Just be aware of the road conditions and wear safety gear.
Old August 21st, 2009, 01:46 PM   #6
Ignatz
Brick House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
Big soft wheels equal a smooth ride.

We just started a wheel review thread. Here

Hopefully we can get them all reviewed soon.

Thanks, I will check out the wheel review thread. Here's what I have

http://www.conniesskateplace.com/boxerquadline.html

100mm 82a hardness. You'd think that would be plenty soft.
Ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 03:21 AM   #7
DrQuad

Thumbs up Difficult to answer ...

>> Can ANY outdoor quads compare with inlines?

Yes, you can compare them. However, there are many, many variables. In addition to wheel layout (Quad vs. Inline), there are many different types of quad skates and many different types of inline skates. For Quad skates, there is boot type, plate, and wheel. For inline skates, there is boot type, frame and wheels. Additionally, there is individual skills and goals, purpose for skating, and skating surfaces.

On smooth pavement (or a rink), a quad skate is as smooth as an inline skate. When the surface is not smooth (uneven), Inline skates roll over obstacles better than quad skates when the uneveness and obstacles are perpendicular to the direction of travel (e.g., sidewalk cracks, sticks). When the uneveness and obstacles are parallel to the direction of travel, Quads roll over obstacles better than inlines (e.g., grooved roads and road snakes).
Skate direction-> Obstacles
Inlines do better: --->> | | |

Quads do better: --->> - - -

In street skating, I encounter obstacles perpendicular to my direction of travel much more commonly than obstacles parallel to my direction of travel.

For both Quads and Inlines (in general):
Big wheels == smoother ride and obstacles are less noticible. Harder to turn
Small wheels == harsher ride, won't roll over some obstacles. Easier to turn
Harder wheels == faster, harsher ride, easier to slide
Softer wheels == slower, smoother ride, harder to slide

For me, I feel the "ride" on my Quads with 76 mm Krypto Classics 80A hardness == faster, smoother than the "ride" on my Hi-Lo Mission hockey inline skates 72/72/80/80 82A hardness. The ride on my 4x90mm inlines is less work and less bumpy than my Krypto Classic Quads.

However, Quad vs. Inline is a very personal preference - some people like the "feel" of one vs. the other. A "smooth" riding skate may be a "rough" riding skate to another skater.

Hope this helps ...
DrQuad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 04:17 AM   #8
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrQuad View Post
>> Can ANY outdoor quads compare with inlines?

Yes, you can compare them. However, there are many, many variables...

... For me, I feel the "ride" on my Quads with 76 mm Krypto Classics 80A hardness == faster, smoother than the "ride" on my Hi-Lo Mission hockey inline skates 72/72/80/80 82A hardness. The ride on my 4x90mm inlines is less work and less bumpy than my Krypto Classic Quads.
Good info & clearly presented too, DrQuad!
Do you have any PICs of your oudoor "Quads with 76 mm Krypto Classics 80A" setup?

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; August 23rd, 2009 at 08:37 PM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:20 PM   #9
yedaki_de
Outdoor Quad Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
good info drquad.
Do you have any pics of your oudoor "quads with 76 mm krypto classics 80a" setup?

-armadillo
+1

pic pic pic
yedaki_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 09:15 PM   #10
Armadillo

Default Quads with slightly offset wheels?

Has anyone ever considered if it would be possible to make a quad axle & truck with a small end-to-end axle offset, so that the axle would have a slight "Z" shape that would shift the inside end forward ~1/4" and the outside end rearward ~1/4"?

This would give each wheel on a truck its own independent axle line with a 1/2" spacing between the two lines. I'm not sure how this would impact the steering, but I think it would help smooth the ride some by having four virtual axles replace two straight axles.

When you rolled over a crack, three wheels would remain out of the crack to keep the 4th one from dropping into it as much. There would be 4 thumps instead of just two as each wheel hit the crack, but they should be much smaller thumps - thus a smoother ride.

-Armadillo
Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:24 PM   #11
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

the pivot action of the truck would allow the wheel to drop down into the crack. this would also steer the other wheel...
Old August 24th, 2009, 08:41 AM   #12
Armadillo

Default Yes, but wheels would not be driven down so hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
the pivot action of the truck would allow the wheel to drop down into the crack. this would also steer the other wheel...
If only one wheel engages the crack at a time, wouldn't each wheel drop in & climb out of it with much less force and loss of momentum? Seems like the pivot would let one wheel in & out more easily than both at once.

-Armadillo
Old August 24th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #13
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

hmm, maybe so...
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #14
Armadillo

Default Coned wheels - another way to offset quad wheels

Here is another concept I'm considering as a way to smooth the outdoor quad ride by shifting the wheels of each truck so they are not on the exact same line at 90 degrees to direction of travel => deliberately coned wheels.

Suppose all four wheels are coned 5-10 degrees, with the left sides all smaller.
This would make the skate want to curve left.
Now we bevel our cushions to steer back to the right, just the matching amount enough so that when they are in neutral the skate goes straight again.

This gives us axles rotated clockwise (looking down) 5-10 degrees away from their normal position of 90 degrees to the direction of travel, and this makes our inside wheels encounter the surface a bit ahead of the outside wheels.

Someone with a lathe and a set of old wheels & cushions could easily test this. Would it make any improvement on the smoothness? For cracks it could, but overall, perhaps not.

-Armadillo