S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:21 PM   #1
Jenn
Monkey with a rope!!!

Default Cycling Trainers

I know a lot of you skaters out there also do cycling. A few months back, Bryan and I bought ourselves new hybrid bikes for exercise/transportation use. Now that I've started school, it's hard for me to get out and take the couple hours it takes to go skating because of all the studying and blah blah blah. I don't want to fall completely out of shape during the semester, so I was wondering if you guys that do cycle could give me some feed back on cycling trainers. Which one to get? Which is the best? What all do need? Etc Etc...

Thanks guys!
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 07:41 PM   #2
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Mine is a Cycle Ops Fluid trainer. I got a good deal from Amazon.com, and I freaking love it. It was my savior when I broke my wrist. I use it all the time, including today
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:08 PM   #3
speedysktr
President of Everything

I've heard the best stuff about fluid trainers. If you're gonna do the trainer, the HRM is an absolute must. Towels, a fan and music. You can get all kinds of workout dvd's that are like going to a spin class. Very handy if you aren't likely to really get motivated. Make sure you put a towel under where you sweat so it doesn't soak into the rug and make a stinky spot (or melt the carpet depending on how toxic your sweat is)
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 09:16 PM   #4
Pepper Montana

Should I wear a helmet when I use the trainer?
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 09:34 PM   #5
speedysktr
President of Everything

man, as soft as your damn head is you orta wear one all the time!
Old January 23rd, 2008, 09:47 PM   #6
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
I've heard the best stuff about fluid trainers. If you're gonna do the trainer, the HRM is an absolute must. Towels, a fan and music. You can get all kinds of workout dvd's that are like going to a spin class. Very handy if you aren't likely to really get motivated. Make sure you put a towel under where you sweat so it doesn't soak into the rug and make a stinky spot (or melt the carpet depending on how toxic your sweat is)
I can't ride my trainer on the carpet. The value of the house would drop instantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper Montana View Post
Should I wear a helmet when I use the trainer?
Only if you try to do tricks.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 10:27 PM   #7
Jenn
Monkey with a rope!!!

Hmmm fluid trainers look expeeeeeennnnsive. What's the major draw backs between something like the Cycle Ops Fluid trainer and the Cycle Ops Mag below it (other than almost a $100 price difference).

And, this may sound like a really retarded question, but what supports your front wheel?
Old January 23rd, 2008, 10:32 PM   #8
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

They are, but I think it's worth it. From what I've read and talked to other cyclists about, the magnet trainer isn't nearly as reliable as the fluid one. Either way you're spending a lot of money, so I figured since I knew I'd be using it a lot it was worth getting something good.

As for the front wheel - you can get for about $20 a plastic star looking thing that supports it, or you can just kind of put two heavy things on either side of the wheel or some other do it yourself contraption. I was lazy so I bought the plastic thing.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:56 PM   #9
JandKLarson

We also have fluid trainers, but bought a "lesser known name" Travel Trac from performancebike.com. They were about the same price as a higher end magnetic trainer and they've worked great. You may also want to check out nashbar.com. Both performancebike and nashbar have periodic markdowns/sales on trainers and you may also find some additional variety in terms of selection. We also have the star tire riser block Jessica was talking about - those are made by Cycleops. It lets you adjust the front tire to three different height levels. I see they have them on Amazon. We bought them the same time as the two trainers, but I don't see them now on performancebike. Good luck!
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #10
CKmost

I was going to buy a trainer to go with a new bike, but then I thought I'm not that serious on a bike, it would just be to be able to do some cardio during the week. Plus it meant that i would have to lug the bike in and out of the garage and hope that it was clean enough to bring inside. The trainers are not cheap either, as you have found. I ending getting a relatively small stationary bike..

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...s&sName=Cycles

did some research and it turned out very good, its very quite (important to me, to not drive other people insane), easy to put together and it does the trick. I don't have a very big place, but it fits nicely in the corner of the family room. It was 75 bucks at K-mart, can't really beat that. And in the worst case you don't use it at least you didn't spend 200+ on a trainer. Figure 75 bucks its almost disposable. Just my thoughts.
CKmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #11
rwsz

i use a great recumbent stationary bike by made by wynne,,,,kind of pricey but worth it,,,,about $550 when i bought it a couple of years ago.
Old January 24th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #12
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
And, this may sound like a really retarded question, but what supports your front wheel?
anything will work, like a phone book <what's a phone book? > or a couple boards stacked up. I can never say enough about the benefits of spinning and cycling for skating. It is the best cross training and it's also great for just loosening up the legs the morning after a hard skate or warming them up for a nice stretch.
Old January 24th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #13
Jenn
Monkey with a rope!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandKLarson View Post
We also have fluid trainers, but bought a "lesser known name" Travel Trac from performancebike.com. They were about the same price as a higher end magnetic trainer and they've worked great. You may also want to check out nashbar.com. Both performancebike and nashbar have periodic markdowns/sales on trainers and you may also find some additional variety in terms of selection. We also have the star tire riser block Jessica was talking about - those are made by Cycleops. It lets you adjust the front tire to three different height levels. I see they have them on Amazon. We bought them the same time as the two trainers, but I don't see them now on performancebike. Good luck!

I looked at performancebike.com and they have some cheaper fluid trainers there that are in the 150 range. They were the Travel Trac brand. I will probably end up going with one of these since you are giving them good reviews. They do have those 20 dollar star shaped risers - I found them on a separate page.

Thanks for the advice everybody!
Old January 25th, 2008, 06:11 AM   #14
Daddy-O
Seņor Member

Default 1 Up

If want the best and don't mind paying for it, the "1 Up" model continues to win awards and get great reviews. I would like to get one, but I think I will wait for the summer and find one on Ebay. You can find a lot more at cheaper prices in the summer if you are willing to wait.

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/tr...5_1663crx.aspx
Daddy-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #15
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandKLarson View Post
We also have fluid trainers..
Julie, I am envious that there's two of you ("Hi, Kevin!") in the same household dedicated to skating and training, and i can't help but think of the advantages...

If you ever wanted to work on the slideboard, Kevin could pull for you on the trainer. We all know of the benefits of drafting, not to mention that you just can't get too much paceline work.

Or with one trainer lined up directly in front of the other, DAMN! "Not passing on your left, honey!!!"

Come to think of it, i wonder if the spin class at the gym would really mind if i brought in my slideboard? (I know ! I know! ...Don't tangle up the cyclists' pacelines. But if i stayed in the back, didn't hug anyones back tire, and used good trail ettiquette.... )

Man, this is opening up all kinds of possibilities!

Thanks, guys. You got me thinking...
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #16
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
Man, this is opening up all kinds of possibilities!
Collect the whole set! Get a runner on a treadmill, and somebody on a Nordic track, and somebody on a rowing machine. :-)
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 04:23 PM   #17
online inline

Okay, but it's your living room. And you'd better have a/c, Bill in Houston.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #18
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
Okay, but it's your living room. And you'd better have a/c, Bill in Houston.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #19
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

I used to have a trainer that was a large squirrel cage fan. Do they make those anymore?

It worked pretty well, if you really hit speed it would really add the resistance. Plus, it was't too expensive. You could even feel a little wind up your back, depending on how much you wear while cycling. (work safe, but don't click on the links!)

It was adjustable if you shifted - the higher gear (faster the wheel) the more resistance.
== John ==
JGwinner is offline   Reply With Quote