S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old September 11th, 2008, 12:57 AM   #1
XaviarCraig

Red face Almost 60 miles nonstop, cramps @ 53!

So college classes were canceled today and I had nothing planned so I decided to go skating! For those of you who dont know, I normally can only go skating once a week because my crazy schedule. Anyway, so I went to my local park (Island lake, right across the freeway from Kensington metro parks) and right before I started I noticed I had a good 9 hours of free time! SO, I decided "Hey why not try to see if I can do 60+ miles without stopping?"

That being my decision I filled up my friends 2 litre camel-back with Gatorade. The trail is 4.5 miles one way(assuming you go from one end to the other), and normally it actually crosses under the freeway to Kensington's trail loop which is 8-9 miles. However due to construction the part of the path connecting the two is sealed off(Sonab!tch) So I figured; hell I'll just go back and forth several times.

NOTE: The Island Lake trail has TONS of long uphill and downhill segments! I am also not exactly an athlete!

At first I kinda killed myself with relatively fast pace of 12mph which I managed to keep for 13.5 miles roughly, but then I slowed down to 8mph for a run, then slowly worked my way up to just over 10mph. After the first 17ish miles everything evened out and I found that sweet spot so to speak and kept at it. By sweet spot, I mean that pace that once you managed to find/maintain it you still pant, but you feel like you could keep it up forever!

I had no problems and a few hours passed, no real trouble outside of a few blisters. Then suddenly like 8 seconds after I hit the 53 mile mark (11 runs and like 80% through the 12th run) I got this cripplingly painful cramp in my right calve with no warning. I quickly shifted my weight to my left foot only to get the same cramp within seconds causing me to fall. Luckly I fell on the side of the trail and didn't get any bad injuries(no pads since they can get uncomfortable on distance runs).

I tryed to get back up, but the pain was so bad for some reason I couldn't even stand or move my legs in certain positions. I ended up deciding to just give it up for the day and waiting till the cramps cleared(took an hour before I could stand again).

Alas, I didn't make it to 60, but at least I know i am close! 5 hours and 16 minutes for 53 miles on lots of uphill + downhill. Not too bad

Anyone else every have something like this happen to them?

Peace ^_^
XaviarCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:21 AM   #2
BleeckerSt_Girl

Sounds like your body might have run out of electrolytes. (calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, etc...) Typically this will make you feel ill or give you sudden cramps, especially in your calves. Try mixing water and a sports drink half and half instead of drinking just plain water, or else try putting electrolyte tablets in your water. I use these packets when biking long distances:
electro-mix

Amazing skate, by the way!!
Old September 11th, 2008, 02:08 AM   #3
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

2 liters in 5 hours isn't quite enough. 2 gallons might be more like it, depending how hot it was.

I got the same calf cramp at mile 26 of the Road Rash marathon. It went away quickly, though. I thought I was going to crash, but didn't.

I agree with what BSG said. And make sure that you take in a large enough volume of liquids.

Really nice skate! Next time you will knock it out easily, I'm sure.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 02:56 AM   #4
BleeckerSt_Girl

Oh wow I didn't notice the 2 liters thing!- like YEAH, not nearly enough liquids taken in for a skate like that!
Old September 11th, 2008, 04:13 AM   #5
CrazyGambit
Socially Unacceptable

Congrats on the 53 miles. I agree with needing more fluids.
Old September 11th, 2008, 04:23 AM   #6
XaviarCraig

Yea, I think I finished the 2 litres sometime around the mid 30s. For some reason even though I got thristy, I didn't feel the need to stop to get more. It was like I was thirsty, but not that thirsty.

Of course, it could be like when you don't realize how tired you really are until it gets really bad. Kinda like 5 minutes ago @_@ I felt perfectly fine, just a little tired from the time I got back from the skate until a couple minutes ago. Now I suddenly feel really tired and sore... Ugh... I'll get back to this tomorrow.
XaviarCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #7
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

AWESOME!
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #8
BleeckerSt_Girl

There's a saying that cyclists use- "Drink before you're thirsty, eat before you're hungry."
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #9
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

Wow X/C that was quite a skate and you learned alot about what to do next trip. I'm not sure of your location, but here in the heat and humidity of central Florida, waiting until you are thirsty during active endeavors can be dangerous and even deadly. Stay hydrated and replinish the electrolytes on long skates. Very impressive, so ...

LezSk8!