S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old July 24th, 2014, 03:11 AM   #1
The Skating Skier

Default Best knee/elbow pads Demon vs Atom vs Deadbolt

No one knows protective gear better than you all in Roller Derby. Is there a consensus for the best knee/elbow pads: Demon Skate Knee/Elbow X d30, Atom Elite 2.0 Knee/Elbow or Deadbolt Jammer Elite (knee)?

The pads need to be: low profile, not bulky, have good articulation, be very comfortable (I want to forget they are on and not have to constantly adjust the pads...they need to stay put), and have good protection if a fall occurs during long distance fitness skating on an asphalt surface.

Thanks for the info.
The Skating Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2014, 04:09 AM   #2
Kiepur_Inlein
'cause B!tch£s misbehave!

You're from Mass... (I'm from Maine, so know I'm not joking) Do you have a set of hockey elbows? There is no comparison between a good hockey elbow-pad and a great skater elbow pad, with regard to ergonomics and protection. It's hockey elbows hands down. They stay put better also. Just the other day we had one of our roller-derby guys crack a rib on his skid plate when landing on his side. The "cool kids" are only just starting to figure-out that hockey pads and helmets have it all over the stuff that's been commonplace in street skating for years, so -in a lot of circles- they're fashion suicide. If you HAVE to use a skate pad, maybe Atoms are a better choice...don't they have a model with the high-impact plastic on the inside of the foam (more like a hockey elbow)? Personally, if I was forced to wear skater-type pads, I'd probably go with Smith, and hope I didn't have any real velocity involved when I did come down on my elbows. As for knees...again if you had to go with a skater pad, the Smith system sounds more like what you're looking for (in my humble opinion). I know this probably isn't the answer you were looking for. If not,
give this a few hours and you'll have something you can work with.

Last edited by Kiepur_Inlein; July 24th, 2014 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Just 'cause...
Kiepur_Inlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 03:52 AM   #3
The Skating Skier

Thanks for the info Kiepur. I will check out hockey elbow pads as well as the Smiths and Atom knee pads. I am presently using G-Form's new Pro X knee pads, which offer good comfort, good coverage and good putty depth. Great for really warm weather days. I would still like to try another pair of knee pads with a plastic caps that will slide in case I ever fall on my knees (and not a linear fall forward).
The Skating Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 01:33 PM   #4
Kiepur_Inlein

Yeah...as far as the Atoms (fabric/foam covered) I was talking for a possible elbow alternative which may be more "rib-safe". You definitely want plastic caps on your knees for exactly the reason you said. Good luck!
Old July 26th, 2014, 01:05 AM   #5
Terror Australis
Happy Little Vegemite

I wouldn't recommend Atom elite elbow pads. After 4 years using some run of the mill elbow pads (so old I don't even remember/know what brand) I bought the Atom elites and first fall onto an elbow ended up with a massive bruise on the elbow. It was like I was was wearing no protection at all. I went straight back to my old ones as I never sustained an injury wearing them. Now I feel like I can't even resell the Atoms as I'd hate to pass on equipment that does not protect.

https://www.facebook.com/DollsOfHazzard?ref=ts&fref=ts
Terror Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 02:31 AM   #6
Kiepur_Inlein

Yeah, Terror... That's why I was using qualifiers like "might" and "maybe". Most skater pads really are scant when it comes to protection from serious falls. I've never tried the Atoms. I just know that a skid plate in the ribs can really mess up your day.