S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old March 14th, 2020, 07:37 PM   #1
fitnessskater

Default Looking for info on adult push scooters

(mods if this belongs in OT, please move it)

Trying to get back into exercise. Dropped 50#.

Love, love, to blade. But don't feel safe after 2 dislocated shoulders in last 5 years.

Had an old push scooter (K2 but like a Razor). Trying it out for the first time. Gives me more glute/core work than biking or walking (my other exercise modes).

Looking for any info on adult scootering for fitness. (I am 54, not a spring thing.) Forums, type, safety, overuse injuries, etc.

Oh...and do the skaters hate scooters how the sk8ers hate scooters.

P.s. I know it looks uncool but I feel myself building Jane Fonda buns of steel.
fitnessskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2020, 06:18 AM   #2
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitnessskater View Post
(mods if this belongs in OT, please move it)

Trying to get back into exercise. Dropped 50#.

Love, love, to blade. But don't feel safe after 2 dislocated shoulders in last 5 years.

Had an old push scooter (K2 but like a Razor). Trying it out for the first time. Gives me more glute/core work than biking or walking (my other exercise modes).

Looking for any info on adult scootering for fitness. (I am 54, not a spring thing.) Forums, type, safety, overuse injuries, etc.

Oh...and do the skaters hate scooters how the sk8ers hate scooters.

P.s. I know it looks uncool but I feel myself building Jane Fonda buns of steel.
50 lbs is a significant amount. And, you already have some injury history. I would suggest something with the lowest chance of injury, and significant setbacks to your goals. Something like an Airdyne, eliptical, or that Bowflex stairclimber/eliptical. I did a post in the skatelog replacement, SkateDebate, about getting away from biking as my get in shape exercise, to an airdyne. The bike worked nice, so long as the weather cooperated. Then when there was too much rain, the trail gets closed. Now I do my airdyne workout, so that when skating day comes along, I ALREADY paid my fitness dues, and can just enjoy the skate.
Old March 15th, 2020, 10:31 AM   #3
fitnessskater

thanks kindly. Do you have a link to that discussion?

I really want to be outdoors. So a stationary bike no good. But maybe an elliptigo? You go slower, I think (donno). It is standing unlike biking. I find the benefit of the kick scooter is much slower than blading...more inefficient essentially. So less fall at high speeds danger. I am cautious around hills though.

Biking has some danger also, but I somehow don't think I would fall the same way (arms over head) as a forward fall blading.
Old March 15th, 2020, 11:38 AM   #4
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitnessskater View Post
thanks kindly. Do you have a link to that discussion?

I really want to be outdoors. So a stationary bike no good. But maybe an elliptigo? You go slower, I think (donno). It is standing unlike biking. I find the benefit of the kick scooter is much slower than blading...more inefficient essentially. So less fall at high speeds danger. I am cautious around hills though.

Biking has some danger also, but I somehow don't think I would fall the same way (arms over head) as a forward fall blading.
http://skatedebate.com/index.php?p=/...skating#latest

There ^ is the link. One bit of wisdom you'll find in my write up is, last year I got in nice shape after nearly having a heart attack. But when the weather prevented my rides, well, I lost a lot of fitness ground. Having something, like an airdyne, is good because it is weather proof. It is also shorter, though harder, to do. Given your age and weight, I am 58, keeping fit is pretty important. Being able to get at it regardless the weather will keep you in shape year round. Not that getting outside is bad. I LOVE it. My bike trail ROCKS. I'm just not going to let myself fall into the trap of using outside exercise as my only get in shape tool.
Old March 15th, 2020, 01:03 PM   #5
fitnessskater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
http://skatedebate.com/index.php?p=/...skating#latest

There ^ is the link. One bit of wisdom you'll find in my write up is, last year I got in nice shape after nearly having a heart attack. But when the weather prevented my rides, well, I lost a lot of fitness ground. Having something, like an airdyne, is good because it is weather proof. It is also shorter, though harder, to do. Given your age and weight, I am 58, keeping fit is pretty important. Being able to get at it regardless the weather will keep you in shape year round. Not that getting outside is bad. I LOVE it. My bike trail ROCKS. I'm just not going to let myself fall into the trap of using outside exercise as my only get in shape tool.
TY for link. I just walk if it's raining.
Old March 17th, 2020, 08:06 PM   #6
slowsk8

Try this https://www.bing.com/shop?q=adult+la...A47AA8A2C1A9E4 hope the link works.
If not just goggle big wheel scoters for adults.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2020, 04:15 AM   #7
ese002

This a Hudora 205 I bought in 2007. I have mostly used it for short hops at lunch time. Scooters cut out the gear up time needed to skate and the parking time needing to bike.

I've used it for longer workouts when I was recovering from an injury and not yet confident to skate. It does get the heart going, though the asymmetry is annoying. I have to stop periodically to switch feet. The "right" way to do this is to momentarily put both feet on the platform but that is impossible for me as the platform is only barely big enough for one of my 13US feet. Most scooters I couldn't use at all because the platform maxes out at about size 10. The Hundora also has a higher weight capacity than the razors all while being quite a lot cheaper than high end adult scooters.
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote