S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old October 8th, 2006, 07:08 PM   #1
Huy

Default Foot Ache/Cramp

Does anyone know how to help my problem with my foot whenever I rollerblade? The middle of my foot aches whenever I rollerblade for more than 10 minutes.
Here's a picture of where it hurts:
Huy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 07:47 PM   #2
Ice Ramps

It may be something as simple as your feet are not conditioned to skating yet. but there may be other factors such as skates are not the right size, Do you have flat feet?, if so do you have some type of arch support that you use even when skating? also different brands of skates fit differently (some maybe wider or more narrow) so it may be you need to try a different skate. What are you skating on now?

Dale Campbell
www.iceramps.com
Ice Ramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 09:01 PM   #3
Huy

I started skating about 3 weeks ago, I use Rollerblade's Spiritblades. No, I do not have flat feet, that picture at the top is not mine.

Edit: Btw, it only happens on my right foot.

Last edited by Huy; October 8th, 2006 at 11:04 PM.
Old October 8th, 2006, 11:52 PM   #4
NWGlenn

Hi Huy: I don't have flat feet either but definitely need arch supports in my daily work boots and all my skates. In the work boots I have had to double up with an arch support insole and a three-quarter length arch support. My weak side (quicker to ache) is the left but the right will catch up if it doesn't get propped up too. Try some arch supports first, the in-soles most likely won't cut it on their own. Mid-range cost @ Wal-Mart under $10.

Hope this helps...I can empathize with foot pain.

Glenn
NWGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 01:10 AM   #5
fablemaker2
Pathological skater

The way that you walk and maintain your balance for your entire life determines partly how each of your feet "pronate" (I believe that's the word). It's the process of your foot flattening out as you step on it. In a confined space such as a skate boot, your pronating foot on the right side probably needs a different "environment". A good gel insert might help, but a visit to a chiropractor (one that specializes in feet) would be the perfect idea. Who knows, maybe your insurance covers it!
fablemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 03:27 AM   #6
Huy

I don't know if it's that serious that I'd need to see a chiropractor just yet . I think I am going to try for the insoles at Wal-Mart . My family is very poor, I've grown up in a very bad environment so I can't really afford the good expensive stuff. I also have scoliosis, my back curves to the side (more to the left).
Old October 9th, 2006, 04:28 PM   #7
online inline

Hey huy, probs like this are very common at first, partially becuase people's feet are different, and fpartially becuase your feet will strengthen in time from skating.

What you have is the arch of your boot is higher than the arch of your foot. The common way of dealing with it is to rise the heel up a slight bit, and maybe even the ball of your foot too, so you take the weight off the arch area. They have neat little rubber pads (inserts) that can be slipped into the bottom of your boot for this, an dcost about fifty cents each. The best bet is to visit a skate shop and they can set you up. Make it a good skate shop that does fittings, not the big box sports stores. Or lacking that, a good ski boot shop would probably understand the issue as well.

If they are not favailable, jsut get Dr. Shculls foot bed inserts- the foamny ones, and cut them to size. Remember the idea is to get the weight off the arch, so build up the other areas to take the weight.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 05:05 PM   #8
Soup

Hey Hui,

I definitely agree with the suggestions above...I've been skating in hockey skates (on ice), quads, the original rollerblades, modern fitness skates and am recently new to speed skates. Since I've been skating since I was 3 years old (I'm 31 now), my feet are so thickskinned and rough they could probably withstand a powerful gunshot without me even noticing (not necessarily something to be proud of).

Before developing my "bulletproof" feet, whenever I used too much might and tie my laces extremely tight, I always found that I ended up with pain in the arches as well as the middle part of my foot opposite the arch. To avoid this problem, a doctor suggested I started using three separate laces on each skate. With that, I tie the toe area semi-tight, the middle of my foot semi-loose, and I tie the upper portion of my foot and ankle very tight. I found that using three separate laces on certain skates enables me to, in a sense, customize my fit and take pressure away from the arch, or, in my case, lack of arch.

Good luck finding the solution that works for you...
Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 05:33 PM   #9
Huy

online_inline you may be right about the pressure on the arch of my foot, in my right foot I can feel the boot (at the arch area) press into the arch of my foot. In my left boot, everything feels fine. Do you suggest, if I use the Dr. Scholl's inserts that I do for both feet?

Can anyone please link me to the foam inserts online_inline is talking about, or any other ones you guys recommend? I cannot find the ones online_inline is suggesting.

And thank you to everyone that has replied.

Soup: I have spiritblades, so I think I have laces for my toe area, velcro straps for the middle, and plastic straps for my ankles. I've tried loosening up the middle, it doesn't seem to get any looser, the weird thing is, is that my left foot feels okay where as my right foot is in tremendous pain after a couple of minutes.
Old October 9th, 2006, 06:32 PM   #10
online inline

maybe sonething like this: http://www.footsmart.com/P-Adjustabl...ift-30060.aspx

fact of the matter is, probably a piece of cardboard would work- we are just trying to lft the geel of the foot up a 1/16 of an inch to maybe an 1/8 inch to get the weight on it rather than the arch. you may try the same with the ball of the foot.

Split laces is an excellent idea too. I use this method and have for several years.

Stay tuned. i will fire up digital camera and take some pics of inserts i have.
Old October 9th, 2006, 06:57 PM   #11
online inline

The split laces is a better idea, and if that works, don't fool with putting things in your boot, unless you have to.

heres a shot of them on the floor. These are for pronation so they are tapered to one side, not uniform over the whole heel. You want ones that would be even, not tapered unless you pronate or suppinate.:

heres a shot of one in the boot:

And here's a regular old insole available at any pharmacy durg store thatt you could cut up to make your own:
Old October 9th, 2006, 10:21 PM   #12
Huy

online_inline, you're awesome , thanks for the pics and all your help. Next time I'm on my blades I'll definitely stop by a pharmacy to get one of those, thanks again!
Old October 10th, 2006, 03:58 AM   #13
Huy

Found some old insoles in my closet, they weren't used that much. Do you suggest the thing foam insert or the soft rubber/gel insert?
Old October 10th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #14
online inline

you just need a structural boost to get the arch lifted up off the arch of the boot. The rubber one probably is better becuase it will compress less, bt the foam one will work if it's thick enough. THE goal is to lift all the parts of the foot except the arch. Give it a try. In a recrational boot, this is no big deal, becuase there's room to spare, and i even have used SuperFeet insoles in a rec boot, which has a hard plaxtic footbed that support the arch nicely. Available in stores for about $22.
Old October 11th, 2006, 01:03 AM   #15
Huy

Hm, tried out the foam insert, it helped me last only a little longer and then the pain comes back, I think next time, I'm going to try to loosen the laces so the sides of my skates are further apart and try the gel insert.
Old October 11th, 2006, 03:27 AM   #16
fablemaker2
Pathological skater

Another thing to try is double lacing your skates. Tie the laces closest to your toes loosely, and the ones at the top tightly. If that doesn't work, try reversing that. Try several combinations to see which works best.

I learned this from hockey players, and it works.
fablemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #17
Spins

Default Arch Support Needed?

Huy,

I'd say you are experiencing a lack of arch support.

Glad to hear that foot you showed is not your own foot--note the huge swelling of the ball area. You must have found a medical photo somewhere.

Gary
o-o

Old October 13th, 2006, 01:00 PM   #18
jlerp

I had terrible pain in my right foot similar to what you describe when I first started back skating last year. I found my skate was too tight. When I loosened the laces across the toe & arch section, it was much, much better. Then I was able to skate enough for my feet to get stronger. Now, no problems at all.
jlerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2006, 07:15 PM   #19
Huy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlerp View Post
I had terrible pain in my right foot similar to what you describe when I first started back skating last year. I found my skate was too tight. When I loosened the laces across the toe & arch section, it was much, much better. Then I was able to skate enough for my feet to get stronger. Now, no problems at all.
Awesome, that's what my friend told me too, that my foot muscles aren't adjusted to skating yet. I don't know where I placed my gel insoles, looks like I'm going to have to go get them.
Old October 16th, 2006, 12:28 AM   #20
online inline

yes, i had debilitiating foot pain earlier, which i was able to work through with some help from Simmons racing boot company re-working my boots for better fit. Now the pain ahs gone away entirely, and what a relief. But i have noticed that if i tie up the lower portion of my boot really tight, i can get the pain to return. That's my message: don't tie the lower portion of your skate any tighter than it needs to be.