S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old December 12th, 2019, 06:40 PM   #1
BMW325TI

Default Guys do skate skate in rain and winter periods?

I have no experiences yet skating in rain (no rain wheels in stock).
Also do you skate in in winter?

I do skate in winter with these kind of skates ( I have blue boots), slow slow...

If skating in raining condition any recommendations to e.g. prevent rust, falling etc.... ?

Thanks mates!
BMW325TI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2019, 01:43 AM   #2
DerrickM

Hello! I joined the forum just today, and I'm also looking for guidance in skating in wet weather.

I bought a set of Powerslide Torrent rain wheels and so far I've been out in the rain twice. The wheels do work--I have more grip on wet pavement than I would have expected. Not anything like skating on dry pavement, but good enough to skate confidently.

My first time out the water leached all the oil out of my bearings and my boots got wet.

Today I put a plastic layer between the outer shell and the boot, so my feet stayed dry. Didn't have as much standing water, so wasn't quite as hard on the bearings.

I've read a lot of posts here on SLF that say to use grease instead of oil. I'm planning to try that for my rain skates, but I wonder how to clean the bearings once you get solid grease in there.

I'll try to post some pictures soon.
DerrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2019, 02:32 PM   #3
BMW325TI

Thanks mate for sharing your experiences. Yes I have seen those while searching for raining wheels.

I just use alcohol for cleaning bearings.

Will have look for new stainless steel bearings.

I have Chinese knock off semi ceramic bearings, but too much play....
Old January 1st, 2020, 07:46 PM   #4
BMW325TI

I have been skating outside with my new wheels: MPC Slalom dual density 110 wheels. Weather was cold around 0 degrees celcius, surface was wet and dry at different spots.

I have to say, yes more grip :-), but a degrease of speed as expected.
Skate frame is Chinese no brand frame 3x110 (290mm).

Too bad these wheels are discontinued model
Old January 27th, 2020, 08:16 PM   #5
Mobjack
Cookn Frog Legs 'n Greaze

Don't use oil for any bearings..... oil will only attract dirt. Always use a bit of low-temp grease. Just a bit though. Too much and it will produce too much drag. Too little and it won't lube the bearing races and balls. Also remember that your bearings work the best when there is a force upon them (your body weight and pushing force). Merely because a bearing rotates for a longer time on a frame held off the ground does not mean it will be faster when skating.
I always use older greased bearings when skating on wet pavement or slushy snow. They seem to last forever if they're some 'swiss' bearings and lightly packed with a low-temp grease. I've found very good results with Finish Line grease. http://www.finishlineusa.com/product...-fluoropolymer
Mobjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2020, 07:02 PM   #6
BMW325TI

Thanks for your info mate.
I am using cheap Chinese hybrid bearings (ceramic balls and stainless steel cage).

I skate through water and some dirty spots.
So after skate session bearings are kinda dirty....

In summer period I am using more high graded bearings