S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Hockey and Other Roller Games
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hockey and Other Roller Games Discussions about hockey played on inline skates, quad roller skates, and ice skates. Also includes discussions about other games played on skates such as roller basketball and rollersoccer.

Old January 10th, 2018, 07:02 PM   #1
gewoon_rik

Default Powerslide reign series... wichone to choose?

Hello,

Since some months I play inline hockey but for now with my powerslide megacruisers 125 (added smaller wheels tho)... (<ó-lol)

Since Iím all into powerslide I started looking into the reign series... but I really have no idea wich model to choose... who got reigns and what are the proís/cons?
Thx! And have a nice day!
gewoon_rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2018, 07:06 AM   #2
gewoon_rik

No one got them? 😥
Old January 16th, 2018, 01:30 PM   #3
ursle
Street Skater

As you notice, 120 people have looked at your post, but, everyone here uses quad roller skates and skates in circles, indoors.
Very few use inline skates, and fewer play hockey. As I recall, one member posts links to the yearly hockey final's competitions, but not lately.

Roller derby is favored over hockey, pity, hockey is fun, no one gets injured, it takes skill (I played ice hockey from 3-15 years old), and any age can participate, roller derby on the other hand has a lifetime season of one and a half years, yes, 1 1/2 years before injury retires a roller derby player, it's a nonsense game, you skate in a circle and try to injure the other team, it doesn't come up much here because the players turn over so fast, now and then a new player posts for a short period, then, oops, injured.
Of course the people that coach are around, they are always recruiting, they need more "fresh blood", anyway, seek advice from your team mates, watch what the most prolific players use for equipment and have fun.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2018, 06:10 AM   #4
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Default Hurdle is right.

Nearly all quad users here on this forum.

Also the injury rate for derby players is super high since they didn't know how to skate when starting(well like 90% it seems anyway)

Then you have the 2 year old skater teaching poor habits, like stomping an edge down hard at a 90 deg for a plow stop when the newbies aren't ready for the pressures and torque they need to resist. Boom broken stuff, dislocated knees, etc. Actually have seen seasoned long time skaters teaching bad techniques to fresh players. 3 ankle injuries in 1 class/clinic.

On topic....

Smaller wheels with thicker urethane on a smaller hub will help corner a bit better. This will also give you a lower ride height by 1/2 The decreased diameter. So 125mm down to 100mm will drop you 12.5mm or so, about 1/2 an inch.

This changes feel and feedback, as well as makes you feel less like you're "on stilts ".
Softer wheels aid in carving tighter circles in 2 ways, they grip more, and they compress easier, So when you apply a hard edge, the front wheels can deform a bit easier, helping the turning radius if one knows how to manipulate it.

Most good hockey skates use a 243 frame with 80mm wheels. I don't get sold on the 3 wheel vs 4 wheel crap Urban skates like most slalom skates are great for street hockey. Easily adaptable. I've played roller hockey at the rink in quads and inlines. Caught a puck to the soft leather boot of the quad before which sucked. A hardshell urban skate is more than sufficient for roller, even if using a plastic puck.

Actual hockey skate boots that they sell with inline chassis on them are annoying IMO. None of them have an articulating cuff and require heat moulding to get a good fit, as well as a skate key to really snug the laces up. PITA.

This may be a non issue in the newer powerslide models, it's been a long time since I had inline "hockey" skates on.

I did not see a weight comparison of their 3 wheel 110 wheels vs 4 80mm wheels. Nor did I check the price difference. A 4 wheel frame can be rockered with wheels, or come rockered (as in the frame itself is rockered.)

See if you can try a full hardshell hockey boot before committing to buying it. I like the articulated cuffs myself.
Old February 7th, 2018, 04:10 PM   #5
gewoon_rik

Thx for the replies guys 👌🏽 The thing is... I only know one guy using the powerslide hockeys, rest of them uses bauer or mission...
Iíll fit my powerslides in a few weeks... keep you posted 👌🏽
Old March 8th, 2018, 10:49 PM   #6
nickajshelden
Blades

sorry I didn't see this earlier.
I tried the kronos, on good recommendation that they were better than down the line stuff. They were better than my mission hockey skates, but I wanted something just a bit stiffer. I looked at the design differences and ended up buying the Helios skates. I now abuse those every day. Best (and 2nd most expensive) skates I've bought for around town use. Sure, my speed skates are faster, but these have glide and power in a neat little package. If you want comfy, you might want to go with the kronos, however, you will grow (after a few blisters) into any skate. The responsiveness of the helios is not challenged. If you have the money, the helios is the better skate.
From what I've heard, the Triton, Zeus, and Perseus are just lower price points. You get what you pay for. I would recommend not going lower than the kronos, as the others will not last as long. I have done my worst to my helios, and they are just fine (other than shattering a bearing when I tried to jump a 30+ step staircase).
Lemme know if you have any other questions about them.
I'm a powerslide guy primarily, but my bearings, wheels, and speed skates (quads and inline) are all bont.

Tags
hockey, powerslide, reign