S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old March 26th, 2008, 04:42 AM   #1
brsnyder

Question Skate/bearing/spacer question

Hello --

I have what must be a silly question. I just bought new wheels and bearings to replace my old ones. So when I took the old bearings out of my old wheels, just to practice removing bearings, to make sure I still knew what I was doing, I found what I guess is the spacer. The new wheels didn't come with spacers. Should I use the old spacers in the new wheels? Do all wheels need spacers? I couldn't quite figure out what purpose the spacers serve. Should I buy new spacers?

TIA -- Barbara
brsnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 06:04 AM   #2
chacata
Skinsuited at last

Just put the spacers in the wheels to be installed. Yes they need them.
chacata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 09:35 AM   #3
Davey_Speedstar

With some quad wheels you can get away with not using spacers, however they they are especially important on in-lines.

They prevent excessive loading on either/or the frame, wheels and bearings. Also they stop the bearing being pushed into the wheel when the axle is tightened up.
Old March 26th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #4
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Ya, wheels usually do not come with spacers. You just reuse them.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #5
BleeckerSt_Girl

So if spacers don't come with wheels, do they also not come with new bearings? Are you supposed to buy new spacers for every extra set of wheels you keep on hand ready with bearings in them?
Is this not applicable to quad skates? I have fugitive wheels with reds bones bearings on my speed quads. I would like to have another set of outdoor wheels ready to go with their own bearings, so I can just switch wheels easily. Do my Fugitives have spacers inside them?- I have not taken them apart to look. I need to buy spacers for my new outdoor quad wheels when I buy them?
Old March 26th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #6
Wolfgang

You can always re-use the spacers if they're not broken/cracked (duh...).
At a skate shop, you can buy either just bearings, or just spacers, just wheels, combos, whatever.
Back in the day when skating was 'in', some of the sports stores had various kits, sometimes the whole wheels + bearings + spacers package, sometimes the so-called 'hop-up kits' with aluminum spacers and 'better' bolts.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 03:52 PM   #7
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
So if spacers don't come with wheels, do they also not come with new bearings? Are you supposed to buy new spacers for every extra set of wheels you keep on hand ready with bearings in them?
Is this not applicable to quad skates? I have fugitive wheels with reds bones bearings on my speed quads. I would like to have another set of outdoor wheels ready to go with their own bearings, so I can just switch wheels easily. Do my Fugitives have spacers inside them?- I have not taken them apart to look. I need to buy spacers for my new outdoor quad wheels when I buy them?
They don't usually come with wheels or bearings.

I'm not sure about quads and spacers. I was just answering the OP, who I may have wrongly assumed was asking about inlines. Oops.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #8
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
In the world of inlines, I'd be inclined to hazard a guess that most of us have about 63 sets of spacers and at least 6.3 sets of bearing. At least, I do......

JB
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 07:01 PM   #9
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Does anyone remember the "three piece" spacer, and axle sets, with the threaded spacers. Man, were those a problem.
Old March 26th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #10
brsnyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
I'm not sure about quads and spacers. I was just answering the OP, who I may have wrongly assumed was asking about inlines. Oops.

Sorry, I didn't specify. I was indeed referring to inlines.

-- Barbara
brsnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:50 PM   #11
beep1o
beep1o

Quote:

NO your Fugitives do not have spacers in them nor do they need them. None of the quad speed wheels being made today need spacers. Only inline wheels generally need spacers.
beep1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #12
skaterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B. View Post
In the world of inlines, I'd be inclined to hazard a guess that most of us have about 63 sets of spacers and at least 6.3 sets of bearing. At least, I do......

JB
Yeah...that's about right. I've probably got about 10 sets of bearings
Old March 27th, 2008, 02:06 AM   #13
BleeckerSt_Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by beep1o View Post
NO your Fugitives do not have spacers in them nor do they need them. None of the quad speed wheels being made today need spacers. Only inline wheels generally need spacers.
Thanks!
Old March 27th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #14
Eberbachl

I remember bearings with integrated spacers. Whilst the bearings were garbage, I thought the idea was good.

Eberbachl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #15
fireproof

What spacers? I just got a new pair of Rock-50 with twister wheels and I see no spacers.
fireproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #16
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

I know that lots of us have experimented with spacers over tha years. all in an attempt to eliminate slack in the system. the problem stems from the fact that there is built in clearance, between the bearings and the axle. all the spacers in the world won't get rid of that. What I would still like to see, and will make one day, is a 7mm axle properly sleeved for 8mm bearings. Problem solved. No side play, no wiggle. Simple as that.
Old March 31st, 2008, 03:29 AM   #17
inlina
ABEC42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
I know that lots of us have experimented with spacers over tha years. all in an attempt to eliminate slack in the system. the problem stems from the fact that there is built in clearance, between the bearings and the axle. all the spacers in the world won't get rid of that. What I would still like to see, and will make one day, is a 7mm axle properly sleeved for 8mm bearings. Problem solved. No side play, no wiggle. Simple as that.
Spacers are primarily to stop the bearing binding under preload, not to eliminate play.

CG
Old March 31st, 2008, 03:51 AM   #18
Tessiemew

I've noticed that most in-lines have the same type of spacers and you'll use the spacers that came with your skates through many sets of wheels.
If you feel like getting new spacers it's up to you.
I have never seen wheels come with the spacers.
No question is dumb btw, never feel ashamed to ask. I guess there could be silly questions though...
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:16 AM   #19
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlina View Post
Spacers are primarily to stop the bearing binding under preload, not to eliminate play.

CG
True enough. That is the problem. With good Inline spacers, they do both, and they have a much better set up. No slop at all to deal with.
Old April 17th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #20
Armadillo

Default Spacers mandatory for optimum bearing performance!

I have worked as a precision thread gage engineer, mechanical engineer, and machinist for many years.
All this talk about spacers not being needed is totally bogus, unless you have no concern for optimum performance. Perhaps you even like the risk of having your wheel resistance go totally crappy at any moment?

The main problem with Quad Skate wheel setups starts with the horrible scheme used for some truck/axle designs where the axles are threaded all the way through the wheel, well past the beginning of the truck end, or all the way thru it.
This allows for use of cheap nuts, tightened against the trucks. to capture the axles, centering them in the trucks.
This scheme forces the inner races of the bearings, which SHOULD NEVER be touching any threads, to be riding on the tips of the threads. Since the ouside diameter of the threaded axles DOES NOT have the proper matching size to the bearing hole diameters, the result is way too much gap! Even if the axle is not threaded all the way, it's often a 5/16" diameter instead of 8.00mm.

Proper bearing performance demands an axle (shaft) be smooth and sized to no more than about .001" smaller than the bearing hole where it engages the bearing. A 7mm or 8mm thread is not SMOOTH and does not have this proper diameter - not even close to optimum. Once this situation exists, bearing misalignment can develop. Combine this with no spacer in between the bearings (to keep the two bearings aligned parallel to each other), and performance is further degraded.

In this scenario the only option for elimination of the obvious looseness of the wheel on the axle is to try tightening the axle nut.
If a properly sized sleeve is in place, with its length along the axle just a TAD LONGER (.005+") than shoulder inside the wheel, which separates the bearings, then the tightening of the axle nut will only push on the two inner races of the bearings and the spacer sleeve in between them, driving them against the truck end until a solid resistance is felt which aligns them all in compression.

As the nut tightens this stack of race-sleeve-race down along the axle and against the truck, the inside faces of the bearings move closer together. If the inside bearing faces make contact with the wheel hub shoulders BEFORE the inner races make contact with the axle sleeve, then the bearings will become "pinched" by further tightening. Yet it is exactly this pinching that is still needed by the inner race-sleeve-race stack along the axle, in order to establish perfect bearing alignment, and a solid bearing-to-truck engagement for carrying the loads.

This is the catch 22 of most quad skate setups - without further tightening, wheels float/wobble on axles; with further tightening, bearings get pinched. The only way out of this dilemma is to obtain AXLE SLEEVES sized properly with respect to the wheel hubs. This is no easy task. With the serious prices charged for a set of premium grade wheels these days, it is an absolute insult that the wheel manufactures do not bundle these spacers. Yeah, Yeah, how will they know whether to bundle 8mm or 7mm? Put them BOTH in with the wheels -- maybe I have skates with both size axles and I rotate my wheels!
The first wheel manufacturer to wake up and address this problem by bundling both 8mm AND 7mm spacers, properly sized to match their wheels, is going to realize a real boost in sales to the more serious minded skate gear buying segment of the market.

Last edited by Armadillo; May 5th, 2008 at 02:40 AM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote