S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old January 3rd, 2011, 04:42 PM   #21
TRDB_Coach
Brat Coach

Practice your falls and get comfortable with the idea of going down as a way of recovering. A lot of injuries happen because new skaters try not to fall when off balance and end up going down all out of whack and with strange muscle groups tensed up.

Once your comfortable with that then everything else is done with a good safety net. Just get out there and skate as much as possible, if someone (except a little kid of course) gets tangled up with you because of their actions, so be it.

Keep in mind, derby is very mental. You will need to develop a tough skin and learn to let things slide by. Off the track most derby girls are very friendly and willing to do anything for each other. On the track... not so much.

In the end you will only get better by skating as much as possible. Keep it up, most of them girls sucked when they started as well.
TRDB_Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 06:25 PM   #22
amaranthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDB_Coach View Post
Practice your falls and get comfortable with the idea of going down as a way of recovering. A lot of injuries happen because new skaters try not to fall when off balance and end up going down all out of whack and with strange muscle groups tensed up.

Once your comfortable with that then everything else is done with a good safety net. Just get out there and skate as much as possible, if someone (except a little kid of course) gets tangled up with you because of their actions, so be it.

Keep in mind, derby is very mental. You will need to develop a tough skin and learn to let things slide by. Off the track most derby girls are very friendly and willing to do anything for each other. On the track... not so much.

In the end you will only get better by skating as much as possible. Keep it up, most of them girls sucked when they started as well.
No worries there. I'm very comfortable with falling. What I'm not comfortable with is intruding where I'm not welcome, which is what happened at the rink that evening. And I'm also not willing to hurt someone who slams into me (either through their fault or mine) who is not wearing pads when I AM wearing them, just for being young and spirited. I'm just going to avoid the entire situation until I skate well enough that I know I can get out of their way - I can go to other open skates where 'normal people' (as opposed to just rink rats) are welcome.
amaranthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 07:14 PM   #23
okie

Exclamation Your so silly!

One of the "reasons" you should be skating with the rink rats and kiddies.

Is you will learn to skate much quicker,improve your skills,accident avoidance maneuvers,if you have to think its usually to late.

Just like driving your car or motorcycle,if you need to think what to do in a panic stop etc or avoidance maneuver. Famous last words,

BUT he was supposed to stop.

If you do it over and over your brain gets it and programs you for it. Oh no! It's a kid on the floor in front of me. JUMP quick the brain says.
okie
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 10:56 PM   #24
Stormi
Join the Quad Squad!

Okie is right, it is good practice for derby when you have to dodge kids. Early on at a session I can work out which kids to avoid (normally non skaters at a party). The rule at our rink is the beginners are supposed to skate near the barriers while the better skaters skate around the inside edge. Doesn't happen, they cut across from inside edge to outside, go in the wrong direction, or just stop in the way of everyone. It's good for your predictive skills. As I skate toward a bunch of kids, I quickly scan them all to see who looks steady and who doesn't, if I see arms starting to flail, I check for body lean and which way skates are pointing to try and predict their fall so I an avoid it. Doesn't always work, I had one kid who I was sure was falling to the left so I dodged to the right and at the last second he fell in front of me so I had to jump over his legs. These things become reflexes rather than conscious thoughts. That stuff will help with derby when someone falls over in the pack and you only have a split second to react before you end up on the ground on top of them.
Stormi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 12:22 AM   #25
amaranthe

Well, I appreciate the input, but (like I said in my original post), dodging KIDS is not the problem - I'm actually pretty good at that. The nonskaters are not an issue - dodging "kids" in their teens who are damned great skaters but also skating like self-absobed assholes IS the problem. An entire rink filled with only them and me - added up to me being ganged up on, shoved (probably accidentally - did not fall; see, I do have some small skills), and otherwise intimidated by their inconsiderate and rude skating. No wonder this particular 'open skate' has been abandoned by everyone but this group of "kids" - no one else wanted to put up with their crap, either.

Like I said, I will continue going to open skates at other rinks, where the rink rats are not the only species of life that attends, and will continue to practice (and enjoy) dodging skaters of many ages, sizes and skill levels. I will continue to dodge falling birthday-partiers, step over splayed out kiddies, and even scoop up and carry them out of harm's way if they blunder into me too quickly for me to dodge them (yes, did this my last successful time out) , cheerfully and as often as possible. But I won't go back to that particular open skate. Let the rink rats keep it and have their own private little 'open' skate night. I'll go have fun somewhere, instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormi View Post
Okie is right, it is good practice for derby when you have to dodge kids. Early on at a session I can work out which kids to avoid (normally non skaters at a party). The rule at our rink is the beginners are supposed to skate near the barriers while the better skaters skate around the inside edge. Doesn't happen, they cut across from inside edge to outside, go in the wrong direction, or just stop in the way of everyone. It's good for your predictive skills. As I skate toward a bunch of kids, I quickly scan them all to see who looks steady and who doesn't, if I see arms starting to flail, I check for body lean and which way skates are pointing to try and predict their fall so I an avoid it. Doesn't always work, I had one kid who I was sure was falling to the left so I dodged to the right and at the last second he fell in front of me so I had to jump over his legs. These things become reflexes rather than conscious thoughts. That stuff will help with derby when someone falls over in the pack and you only have a split second to react before you end up on the ground on top of them.
Old January 4th, 2011, 02:29 AM   #26
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

You need to be at the point when you are not concentrating on your own skating so much that will give you the time to study the room. On an open skate night, I take a mental inventory of who is out there. Who is slow, who keeps falling, who is playing a chase game with their friends, who keeps cutting through the infield, who is going fast, who isn't paying attention. Then it becomes a matter of knowing where your trouble people are at all times. Well, at least most of the time. It takes a while. But once you can skate well on autopilot, you can have fun weaving in and out of traffic. I do!
Old January 4th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #27
amaranthe

Yes, I agree! That is how I have felt at all of the other open skates I've been to. I enjoy scoping the room, using my peripheral vision to track 'trouble skaters' and keep an eye on the kid who fell in front of me every time around so far, etc. It's a challenge, and it's great practice. I really enjoy that.

That, however, would not have helped on the particular occasion mentioned above, as that was not the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
You need to be at the point when you are not concentrating on your own skating so much that will give you the time to study the room. On an open skate night, I take a mental inventory of who is out there. Who is slow, who keeps falling, who is playing a chase game with their friends, who keeps cutting through the infield, who is going fast, who isn't paying attention. Then it becomes a matter of knowing where your trouble people are at all times. Well, at least most of the time. It takes a while. But once you can skate well on autopilot, you can have fun weaving in and out of traffic. I do!
Old January 4th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #28
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaranthe View Post
Yes, I agree! That is how I have felt at all of the other open skates I've been to. I enjoy scoping the room, using my peripheral vision to track 'trouble skaters' and keep an eye on the kid who fell in front of me every time around so far, etc. It's a challenge, and it's great practice. I really enjoy that.

That, however, would not have helped on the particular occasion mentioned above, as that was not the issue.
Ahh, so it was more like they were testing you. Seeing if you could "hang" with their harassment. I have seen that a few times.
Old January 4th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #29
amaranthe

Right, you've got it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Ahh, so it was more like they were testing you. Seeing if you could "hang" with their harassment. I have seen that a few times.
Old January 5th, 2011, 02:32 AM   #30
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Time for one Story.

Hi Again amaranthe,

Yeah, Yeah I realized later I wasn't so mean. I tried, I did I did!!

Quote:
Dave, if that's what you consider giving me a hard time, I'll count myself as getting off light. o - o but apparently the rink rats have scared off everyone else from that skate so they have the rink to themselves) which was terrible. o - o
First note and then I will see what Okie and others wrote.

Remember one time that one young black kid (black isn't so important other than the fact he was young and black) said "Hey OLD Guy what are you doing out here". Now, , this is intimidation guy speak... So I asked him to show me his moves and I did a few he couldn't do. Well he sat down most of the rest of the session. I have had others I have had to go back and tell them hey come on back out.

Most yet not all improving Derby Gals aren't quite like me, or Okie, and the good ones are good to really good like when we were both younger. The good ones use the young kids and even us adult skaters as cones on the floor to practice their side cutting skills.

So when you go back to the late teen skate be prepared to take a tad of grief on your first outing. One of the great things about it is you will have enemies, or friends on all sides to practice your skills including total vision. I love skating with teens except the music is too high when it is crowded. BTW in Indiana, Mass and other places I have skated a former hot shot parent skater or maybe many sometimes comes out to join their kids.

If you can find out when those hot shot parents skate you might have a partial ally

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; January 5th, 2011 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Clicked Too fast, big Edit
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 03:14 AM   #31
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Google Map On Dundee

Hi Again,

Just did a google map on Dundee in MI

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=dundee...ed=0CBoQ8gEwAA

The kids in your area should be normal aggressive and probably light on the aggressive. I was out there in 2009 and Marshall on this map has an interesting history as does Battle Creek.

Anyway, when you go back to teen night enjoy, as the teens will enjoy you.

Old January 7th, 2011, 04:12 AM   #32
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Default Doctor Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by slhallford View Post
I just want to give you a HUGE hug. I'm a beginning art skater and I have felt exactly the same way on many occasions. Out classed and out skated by kids a quarter of my age. I've cried about it too.

You can DO THIS. And you are not a failure because you left a situation that felt unsafe for you and others. I didn't skate art practice all summer long because I was trying to learn to skate backwards and just couldn't handle the stress of being in everyone else's way all the time.

Don't be too worried to go back. Remember you are doing something most people would only DREAM about doing. You're just starting out but everyone who is good at something we admire started at some point. Stick with it and you will get there, too.

S
You always seem to have the kindest, most thoughtful replies to offer people. Sarah Brisson Hallford, Skate Psychlogist
Old January 7th, 2011, 04:28 AM   #33
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Default Loose the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hi Again,

Just did a google map on Dundee in MI

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=dundee...ed=0CBoQ8gEwAA

The kids in your area should be normal aggressive and probably light on the aggressive. I was out there in 2009 and Marshall on this map has an interesting history as does Battle Creek.

Anyway, when you go back to teen night enjoy, as the teens will enjoy you.

And if you do go back, do away with all the protective gear. You won't stand out as much.
Old January 7th, 2011, 04:29 AM   #34
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Default Lose the gear

deleted

Last edited by sk84luv; January 7th, 2011 at 03:04 PM. Reason: double post
sk84luv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 04:34 AM   #35
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Sarah is a Sweety

I agree,

She is a sweety and she can stay that way. She struggled, failed, struggled some more, failed, struggled and is on the path. I like her messages as do you.

Sugar and Spice and All Things Nice (modified by the struggle)
BTW: Is that Sugar and Spice thing Still Politically Correct

Old January 7th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #36
amaranthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84luv View Post
And if you do go back, do away with all the protective gear. You won't stand out as much.
Yeah, that's not gonna happen. Our derby leage has a rule for fresh meat - all the gear, all the time.
Old January 7th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #37
amaranthe

Talking Fantastic return to the rink (OK, a different rink) last night! :)

Went to another open skate last night, but listened to the advice this time and went to a different rink. Turns out a lot of the girls from my league skate there at open skate, as well as our Coach and the personal trainer for the team. It was an 'adults' skate, so there were no rink rats there (at least not under 18). The rink was pretty crowded. There were a ton of excellent skaters, but they were all actually considerate and aware of what other fools (like me) were doing around them. They were friendly and helpful while skating awesomely - which made it a lot easier to feel comfortable, get my bearing, and actually get to practice learning how to skate quads.

I made a lot of progress last night. I discovered (after 'tailing' a couple of the more experienced derby girls for a little while) that instead of doing what I usually do and worrying about how to keep from going too fast (due to wobbly balance, lack of control, etc.), I was actually pushing and deliberately
going faster. Not fast, mind you - but a big step forward for me. Yay, me! Also, as I mentioned before, I haven't ever been an athlete, and have been relatively sedentary for the past year, so my endurance is for crap. Last night I made a big improvement in number of laps skated before needing to rest the pins in my back - and it was also the first night my back didn't hurt afterwards in that place. (I just started doing Pilates also, to help strengthen it.) Double-yay, me!

Of extra-cool note, so many of us that are 'fresh meat' showed up for the open skate, that Coach took us into the smaller 'practice rink' area and we had in impromptu class. Our first official 'fresh meat' practice isn't until Sunday, and that one is off-skate, but it was cool to get some practice on the things we'll be working on.

Really, really glad to have found this other rink for open skating outside of practice. It's great to go somewhere where half the folks are bundled up in gear like I am, because it's 'all gear all the time' for us - at least most of us. Feeling way, way better about things.
Old January 7th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #38
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

That is wonderful news! I'm so glad for you.

S
Old January 7th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #39
amaranthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by slhallford View Post
That is wonderful news! I'm so glad for you.

S
Thanks, me too! I've got a looooooooooong journey ahead of me, but at least I've taken another step, and I feel good about it again. The encouragement helped a lot.
Old January 7th, 2011, 11:00 PM   #40
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

Quote:
Thanks, me too! I've got a looooooooooong journey ahead of me, but at least I've taken another step, and I feel good about it again. The encouragement helped a lot.
I'm glad it helped. I have personally had enough snarky, backhanded comments to last me a lifetime. I've resolved to only put good stuff out for others.

Skate on, sister!

S