S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old June 10th, 2009, 09:30 PM   #1
scaredstiff

Default 8 weeks off and then back on our skates

We've been trying to get out on our skates for a fortnight have have been thwarted by work, weather or simply running out of time.
Today we decided that we WERE going down the cycle path on our skates come hell or high water. We got high water, gallons of it, gushing down the cycle path rolling bricks with the force of the water.
We decided on the rink, unsuprisingly. We managed to sort the timings out and got an hour and 10 mins in the rink before they turned the music up.

After an 8 week lay off, things were not too shoddy. Still getting the hang of swizzling backwards though but it seems much easier. Next to learn is turning while swizzling backwards. It was all so easy when we were kids.
Any ideas on turning while learning to go backwards?

We skate on inlines. Mr ScaredStiff on K2 Flight ALXs and Mrs ScaredStiff on lovely Rollerblade Twister IIs.
scaredstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 01:44 AM   #2
Curious Cat
Hockey Nut

Do you look over your shoulder when swizzling? If so, do you find you creep to one side? I know I do, and I pseudo steer by changing the shoulder that Im looking over.

I dont really turn, per-se when doing swizzles, its more of a creep. You could do a few one footed swizzles to allow yourself to turn quicker i.e you swizzle the outside leg of your turn, whilst having most of your weight on your inside leg. Your inside leg will be on an outside edge, to facilitate your turning.

I find the one leg swizzle is a good pre-cursor to doing crossovers. We are made to do laps of face-off circles doing this during hockey training, its a great thigh workout!

Edit:
A few tips to help with your swizzles. Im sure you know all this already, but seeing as I had already written this out for a mate, I thought Id post it here, incase there is anything new, or something that may be helpful.

Quote:
Backwards Swizzles:
1. start with your toes touching and your heals apart so you feet look like A (inverted v)
2. apply pressure to your inside edges so you roll until your feet are parallel, then you pull your feet back together (you roll off you inside edge and up to a more "middle" edge when you do this, but never an outside edge)

The way I have helped people to get started if they are having troubles is to start off by doing a single forward swizzle and then rolling back to where you started from, so you end up doing something that looks like <>. Then when you are comfortable with those, do two in a row (i.e. <><>), then three, etc.

The important thing is to start on a nice flat surface. When you start linking them up, make sure you look over the shoulder in the direction that you are going.

I also have my weight a little closer to my toes than normal when going backwards
Curious Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #3
scaredstiff

Thanks CC

I did notice that my weight was over my toes more, funny you should mention it. Both leg swizzling seems to be going ok but I'm travelling fairly straight even when looking over my shoulder. Perhaps I should twist more

I'll try the one foot swizzle thing for turns while we are re-acquainting ourselves with 'backwards'.

It was a nice evening yesterday so we popped off to our local cycle path. One of us (me) wanted to go further down the path before putting on skates but MrScaredStiff decided that nearer home was better so decided to start skating opposite the deserted kids play area. All was well until we got back and it was full of gobby teenagers shouting the odds "you can't skate ner-na-ner-ner-ner". Swearing and cursing away. Then the icecream man arrived. We might not be that hot at skating but we can jog to an van without falling flat on our faces!! Serves them right.

We may well get out for a quick hour today after work (dashed in for some lunch before getting back to work) but going somewhere else this time. Nowhere near a teenage hangout.
Old June 15th, 2009, 07:19 AM   #4
Curious Cat
Hockey Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredstiff View Post
Then the icecream man arrived. We might not be that hot at skating but we can jog to an van without falling flat on our faces!! Serves them right.
Ooh icecream and a show, hehehe.

Kids can be cruel. Not to worry, there is a forum full of people here who think you are awesome!
Old June 16th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #5
scaredstiff

Aw, thanks CC.

We skated last night as well. Got some fab tuition from a nice man. He had us with more bent knees, loads of drills. Swizzling backwards and forwards. Mr-Scared was starting his parallel turns to the left. He has a mental block going left. Goes right perfectly though.
I felt much happier after that 2+ hours of tuition too. We were starting to slalom around cones and all sorts. It was brilliant. Back again next week for some more, I think.
We worked really hard and are as stiff as boards this morning. Summoning the energy to walk the dogs then off to the pool for a looooooonnnnnngggg jacuzzi session.
Old June 17th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #6
Curious Cat
Hockey Nut

Wow sounds like you had some awesome tuition, definately take advantage of that!

I have the same problem as Mr-Scared, one side that just refuses to do certain things. He will get there.

Did the dogs get their walk? Dogs are great motivators, they just stare at you with those big brown eyes until you give them what they want!