S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:00 PM   #21
beckstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by domsablos View Post
Ive skated on inlines for years now, I came to it relatively late in life skating for the first time aged 25 progressing quickly to fairly hardcore street skating.

Last night i went to a roller disco and tried on some quads, upon which i feel less stable as its seems too easy to fall forwards onto the toe stops and the skates seem to have a mind of their own.

Now the turning circle, I've tried speed skates with better maneuverability! the only advantages I see in quads are.

a) Their easier to learn (i'll have to take your word on this)
b) your more stable when your not rolling?????

I'm not bashing quads here, but i'm honestly looking for someone to put me straight on this, what am i missing?
They are just the coolest, ok!

In all seriousness though I believe that it is just a matter of preference. I can skate on blades, but I find it more difficult. I just feel more balanced on quads.

Last edited by beckstar; February 4th, 2009 at 05:33 PM.
beckstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #22
Larry_PA
When life was simple

In my youth, when sneakers were made of canvas, and skates had wooden wheels, I skated on quads....as that's all there was. I skated with my children on quads. Then stopped skating for a number of years. I started inlines, and it took me about 2 days to get the hang of them. I skate inlines now, but I went to an Adult session in Delaware and saw how kewl everyone was dancing and skating, and thought that I would like to learn that. So the next week I rented a pair of quads, and I could barely skate at all. Maybe I got a bad set but they were lumbering to skate with and I could not get much speed up, nor do crossovers well. I don't know what happened cause I used to be pretty decent.

I would like to do some skate dancing, and I think the quads are the way to go, but not sure if I want to put the time in.
Old February 4th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #23
roller_dudette
skate addict!

My simple comparison

quads (to me) are more fun since you have trucks so you sk8 in circles (trucks rock) rather then straight.

inlines are faster.

I cant sk8 on traditional quads with the front trucks under the ball of the foot either. I move them up forward an inch to make them stable and usually use a longer plate too.

Pick and choose your skate, there isnt a right/wrong answer. If you just want to be the fastest possible, yes inlines are better for that. I go for what is the most fun.
Old February 4th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #24
7Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_PA View Post
In my youth, when sneakers were made of canvas, and skates had wooden wheels, I skated on quads....as that's all there was. I skated with my children on quads. Then stopped skating for a number of years. I started inlines, and it took me about 2 days to get the hang of them. I skate inlines now, but I went to an Adult session in Delaware and saw how kewl everyone was dancing and skating, and thought that I would like to learn that. So the next week I rented a pair of quads, and I could barely skate at all. Maybe I got a bad set but they were lumbering to skate with and I could not get much speed up, nor do crossovers well. I don't know what happened cause I used to be pretty decent.

I would like to do some skate dancing, and I think the quads are the way to go, but not sure if I want to put the time in.
I'd def. suggest getting your own. No matter what style, once you find a pair you like, that actually works, you'll learn a lot faster. Rink skates, even the speed skates, aren't the greatest. If you want to get serious, our own pair is the only way to go.
7Skaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #25
domsablos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_PA View Post

I'd be tempted to say its because compared to inlines quads are slow and awkward, you just don't realize it untill you've skated on inlines. I do believe that Quads have advantages over Inlines and my point in starting this thread was to discern what these advantages are. Such as, you look better doing artistic skating... but it this because so few people skate on pic skates?

Possibly we need the opinion of people who have changed from inlines to quads.
Old February 4th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #26
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

If it's got wheels that roll, I probably try it. Fell in love with skating as a kid with clamp-on metal quad wheels, skate key, etc. and trying to beat my playmates in skating around the block.

As a pre-teen and teenager I rented quad skates at the rink and that was a blast. Especially when a buxum, 21+ & slightly tipsey gal grabbed you for the "last skate, couples only." (Hey!, I was a normal, hormone raging adolecent boy! What can I say?) Fun date nights out too.

While in college in New England, I tried ice skating on borrowed hockey skates and like it. I also found out that all ice isn't smooth, i.e. when the pond freezes over with a strong nor'east'n blowing in. Rink ice, only a few times. Don't like the seragated toe rental skates. Last rink skate in Gatlinburg, Tn. a year ago on rented hockey skates. It was different experience after 10 years of inlines outdoors but sure beat not skating at all our during vacation week.

Inline speed skates are my passion as it beats the boredom of walking, running, rink circles, etc. I like excursion skating into areas I haven't skated before. I like the adrenalin rush of newer top speeds, chasing down bikes, conversation with my skate buds on long trail skates, etc.

It's all good, so...

LezSk8!
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:14 AM   #27
inlina
ABEC42

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
quads (to me) are more fun since you have trucks so you sk8 in circles (trucks rock) rather then straight.
This is the key. The trucks allow for you to carve a tight arc. You can carve on inline, but it is a totally different dynamic.

CG
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:29 AM   #28
roller_dudette
skate addict!

To me quads are like surfing a wave versus riding on a street. Not awkward at all but hecka lot more fun for me. Takes a bit more skill, again, I think they are more fun. Stability is a lot of the setup too. As soon as my dr. attaches wings to me during my next surgery, I'll also prove that quads can be faster then inlines hahahaha.
Old February 7th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #29
therealdjiceman977th
DJ Iceman @Skatelan.

I've used inlines all my life, and I'm about to make the big switch. I just see a lot more abilities in them, shuffle skating from what I can tell is a LOT easier in quads than on inlines.
therealdjiceman977th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #30
Mitchell P.

I skated inlines for years when I was growing up - great for outdoors, speed, downhill, jumping off stuff, etc.

Now I skate quads - they are better for rink skating, shuffle skating to music, and dancing. If you like the dance/artistic aspect of roller skating, then quads are the way to go. You can do a lot on inlines, but the rigid set-up is inferior for dancing.

So, what it really comes down to is what type of skating you like to do. Old school quad skating is all about gettin' down to music at the rink. On inlines, you'd be limited in this type of skating... not to mention out-of-style.

But if you prefer speed, outdoor or aggressive skating, then inlines have a lot of advantages.
Mitchell P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 10:49 PM   #31
evilzzz

Quads are cool, no doubt. I love watching "the quaddies" do their thing. But they are more popular indoor, no doubt. Outdoor skating is dominated by inline because the larger wheels and smaller contact area are much better for coping with uneven and rougher surfaces.

Inline skates can be really versatile - lending themselves from anything from speed, to slalom, to aggressive.

Quads aren't really build for speed (although you do get some marketed towards "speed/derby") or coping with outdoor surfaces, but are much better suited for dance/artistic. I'm crap at dance and artistic and like to skate outdoors, so my quads hardly ever get a runout, and it's fair to say that I haven't really been converted in any way, shape or form.
evilzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 11:51 PM   #32
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

My quads got huge after I started doing spin class. They match my calves and rear better now.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 06:00 AM   #33
Armadillo

Default Why quads are my only option

I have skated quads outdoors for 15 years, mostly on the custom built skates shown in my avatar PIC. I have tried inlines a few times outdoors too, but could not handle them. Why? Too heavy, too much ankle crush, to much leg tilting to make them turn.

There is a BIG difference between the two, but lets FIRST point out that, within the category of inlines, there is a massive difference between elite 1000-1100gram low ankle racing skates and the heavyweight, clamp-on, plastic shell boot, high ankle style inline.

While I might enjoy the elite type of inline skate experience, I would NEVER reach the ankle strength & skill level needed to use these elite skates, if I had to get there by starting with the other kind. I just can't tolerate HEAVY things clamped tight on my ankles. I never even lace the top two holes of my avatar quad skates either, and my new outdoor skates are REAL low cut with ankle bone uncovered,

Now lets talk about the differences of turning. Quads can be made to turn easily and sharply by just shifting WEIGHT to inside or outside of the foot. Your LEG CAN STAY VERTICAL, and just your weight shift & foot tilt can initiate turns. With inlines, much more leg lean over is needed. This leg lean over demands much more left-to-right skeletal motion of the knee and hip joints. I don't like the stress on these joints that results from the inline body dynamics required for turning.

Perhaps an elite inline skater can approach the same level of turning action using just ankle and weight shift , but it takes MUCH stronger ankles to acheive this. Way stronger than mine will ever be.

The ULTIMATE REASON why quads are better:

My new quad skates weigh 1100grams and use skateboarding shoes. These shoes are instantly detachable from the plates (patent pending), allowing me to walk around in perfectly normal shoes until I want the plates back underneath me again (30 seconds per foot). You will not see ANY INLINE SKATE that can do this for quite some time!.

-Armadillo
Old February 16th, 2009, 06:28 AM   #34
Curious Cat
Hockey Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
My new quad skates weigh 1100grams and use skateboarding shoes. These shoes are instantly detachable from the plates (patent pending), allowing me to walk around in perfectly normal shoes until I want the plates back underneath me again (30 seconds per foot). You will not see ANY INLINE SKATE that can do this for quite some time!.

-Armadillo
Sorry to burst your bubble, the concept is already availiable for inline skates and has been for a few years.

Google Powerslide Phuzion D2 Blade & Walk Mens Fitness Inline Skate
Curious Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #35
Armadillo

Default Walking in SKI BOOTS is lots of fun too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Cat View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, the concept is already availiable for inline skates and has been for a few years.

Google Powerslide Phuzion D2 Blade & Walk Mens Fitness Inline Skate
Well, these look slightly better than walking in SKI BOOTS, but not enough. Did I not mention 1100 grams? those look closer to 2000gm

My bubble remains UN-BURST. Powerslide Phuzion D2 Blade & Walk Mens Fitness Inline Skates are not even close to what I describe.
I am talking NORMAL SHOE walking! No STIFFENED SOLE! NO REINFORCING AT ALL --- ZERO. Totally FLEXIBLE gum rubber sole, shoe. Weight of ~13oz.

Several years back, my son got a similar set made in Europe of ones like in your link. He hardly used them at all because they were too uncomfortably weird for walking. They skated OK though.

-Armadillo
Old February 16th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #36
Curious Cat
Hockey Nut

For the benefit of everyone else:

Quote:
One of the exciting news for 2008 is the new Blade and Walk roller skate from Powerslide. It is a well made shoe and roller skate system, that is brilliant for everybody that use roller skate for transport. Inside the skate is a normal sneaker so you can easily shift from rollerblading to walking when you arrive at school, the job, the bank or the supermarket.

Here at SkatePro we were at bit sceptical at first, but it works very well. The quality is good, and the system is made so flexible that you can also use your normal shoes. The blade'n'walk concept has been throughly tested by Xsjado, who have used it on their aggressive skates for years.
http://www.skatepro.dk/en/a374.htm

Im not going to argue with you, because its impossible to have both devices side by side and you are obviously very proud of your invention (as you should be). I applaud you for your ingenuity. Best of luck with it.
Old February 16th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #37
domsablos

hmm, interesting... I disagree with Armadillo on a number of points (especially with his use of the word elite) but a point for quads is they are more casual... most inline skates fasten up like some sort of chiropractic brace. My own skates taking between 5 and 10 minutes to lace up >_<

admittedly not always the case especially not with speed skates which although not overly difficult to use are expensive and take a bit more commitment than a once weekly visit to a rink.
Old February 17th, 2009, 02:14 AM   #38
Armadillo

Default Sorry, I missed the concept of shoe INSIDE BOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Cat View Post
For the benefit of everyone else:

http://www.skatepro.dk/en/a374.htm

Im not going to argue with you, because its impossible to have both devices side by side and you are obviously very proud of your invention (as you should be). I applaud you for your ingenuity. Best of luck with it.
Only looking at the picture, I thought that the high boot and low shoe were TWO DIFFERENT BOOT models, and that EITHER could attach to -OR- detach from the frame. I did not realize the shoe was captured inside the boot, and you stepped into and out of the high ankle boot.

Well this can sure allow for both a quick transition and the comfort level shoe that I desire, but the total weight is now got to be heading beyond 2000 grams no doubt. Any idea what the total package weight comes to? I'm back to the website to further review. Thanks for the heads up.

-Armadillo
Old February 17th, 2009, 03:09 AM   #39
Curious Cat
Hockey Nut

You are right, fitness inlines arent light. Finding detailed information on powerslide gear doesnt seem to be that easy. I somehow think finding a store with them in stock and reading the booklet that comes with the skate would be your best bet.
Old February 21st, 2009, 05:41 AM   #40
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

I started on quads and skateboards back in 79, test skated rollerblades in the very early eighties and hated them ( mostly cause i destroyed 2 pairs in 4 days.... they weren't made real well then.) got a pair of Tar-Mac's with hyper giants on em around 92 and fell in love with em for outdoor and ramp skating.
then picked up K2 fattys etc etc.

very recently I've gone back to the rink regularly back on my quad art/shuffle style skates and fell in love all over again. I skate quads mainly nowadays (albeit mainly cause i need the practice relearning tricks and dance moves)
but i love my inlines too. no quad set up i have will allow me the speed to just blow away bike riders the way my 100mm rolerblades will. and for agro skating I love both. my next pairs will be an agro tracker style quad set up and a pair of seba's for slalom style (that i can't wait to bring in the rink )

Bottom line..... I SKATE therefore I am.

don't matter how or why, just get your roll on. cause all skaters are frigging cool..... the rest of the world is missing out. pity them not us.