S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Aggressive Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to vert skating, skatepark tricks, aggressive street skating, action sports events, and the aggressive skating lifestyle.

Old November 30th, 2007, 12:53 PM   #41
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
Well, how come the suit people here dont build skateparks which are open for the winter time?
Because they want you to buy inlines and learn to skate street?
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #42
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Because they want you to buy inlines and learn to skate street?

lol, well you are right on one thing. I WILL be skating more street soon cause my *&%$^* knee still hurts and I cant push off it to jump and I've got to learn to skate and need to skate and must skate, skate, skate lol. I'm determined to look good on my skates somehow. But I've got some sweet quads for street!
Old November 30th, 2007, 11:46 PM   #43
lightningstrike
who you callin' junior ?

Location: The stars and beyond - buy me some orange juice and I'll tell you exactly where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsk8rgirl View Post
Agro Skating/boarding is VERY destructive over time. The grinding wears and chips an cracks and looks bad. These companys go to great expense for their company image & construction costs are CRAZY.

I assure you that if I paid a seriously inflated price for prime real estate on top of massive construction costs AND nasty insurance premiums, I too would be upset to see a kid with an entitled attitude grinding on my ledges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnRhyme View Post
Keep an open mind, from where we are know. We are just adamant that the street is our realm. We have to know that in our realm, there are always the 'suit' people. To this people. We give way.
Agreed, I think at the end of the day, we skaters just need to be more careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolishun View Post
I should not have responded directly to your post. I was commenting on the attitude of some of the younger skaters. I was under the impression that you were mocking the "suit people" comment. It was not my intention to imply that you were of a younger age. Hence my mistake of replying directly to your quote.
Its perfectly allright my good Man !

Quote:
On the funds side. Our town is in the process of building a 10,000 square foot skate park payed for by "suit people" in our town. In addition I intend to make a meager contribution myself. If we get enough we can build a 20,000 square foot park. 10,000 is at the $250,000 mark and 20,000 is at the $500,000 mark. The mayor of our town is very much a "suit person", but also understands that we need a park for our kids. He intends to take the current park and move it to another location so that we will have two skate parks in the end. We break ground on the new park in March. So, yes, "suit people" WILL build parks.
Thats good to hear, lets hope everything goes well.
lightningstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 11:49 PM   #44
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Quote:
Well, how come the suit people here dont build skateparks which are open for the winter time?
Ours are open. Except there is a bit of snow if them right now. None of the public skate parks we have are closed. If you have a public (or even private) ask the local city officials or owners to keep them open.
Old December 1st, 2007, 05:58 PM   #45
B_rI_a_N
Needs no stinkin helmet

in the long run the only damage rollerbladers do is from waxing, which can easily be sandblasted off. skates plastic is softer than concrete, therefore the skates will be worn down by the concrete, not vise versa. however when a skateboarder does a grind on a ledge, the truck are as hard, or harder than the concrete. this making it chip and chunk off. so really, we arent doing any real damage to the ledges, just something that looks bad cosmetically.

but i think most of the fuss is as stated earlier people being in fear of lawsuits if someone were to get hurt. because there are alot of crazy parent's out there who will sue for any little reason when their kid gets hurt.
B_rI_a_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 06:30 PM   #46
Pat92Phil
GOD member

in one of haffeys sections theres a rail with blocks on it, and he does switchups over each skate stopper, when i saw it i was like damn. he told them to go **** themelves
Pat92Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 09:30 PM   #47
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_rI_a_N View Post
in the long run the only damage rollerbladers do is from waxing, which can easily be sandblasted off. skates plastic is softer than concrete, therefore the skates will be worn down by the concrete, not vise versa. however when a skateboarder does a grind on a ledge, the truck are as hard, or harder than the concrete. this making it chip and chunk off. so really, we arent doing any real damage to the ledges, just something that looks bad cosmetically.

but i think most of the fuss is as stated earlier people being in fear of lawsuits if someone were to get hurt. because there are alot of crazy parent's out there who will sue for any little reason when their kid gets hurt.
Yeah, I think its mostly lawsuits! Cause honestly, if you look at all the coping at the skatepark which is regularly being shredded, you cant tell much.

But I found some 2 foot long milk like plastic creates, about 6" high in the dumpster today! Can I put on some square coping or what to it? I could put some bricks on the other side. I found some good stuff today for fun!
Old December 1st, 2007, 11:07 PM   #48
lightningstrike
who you callin' junior ?

Location: The stars and beyond - buy me some orange juice and I'll tell you exactly where.

Quote:

Makes sense, point to be noted.

hmm, there should be some solution for boarders.
lightningstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 11:40 PM   #49
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Quote:
because there are alot of crazy parent's out there who will sue for any little reason when their kid gets hurt.
I know about the crazy part. When I was in junior high the next door neighbors hated us. They put sugar in the gas tank of our snow plow, tore the ram off the hood of our truck, broke the cable boxes in the neighborhood, used to listen to our conversations using that silly spy equipment. The list goes on and on. They are just messed up people.

So, I am at school and their son (my age) asks if I want to fight. I am like, "no way". Well my friends convince me that I should kick his butt. So finally I said, "Name the place." He says okay and we are leaving school and we get off school grounds and he does not want to fight. Apparently he only wants to fight on school grounds. I am like WTF is your problem?

Finally, a different day, we go to the Mormon seminary because he figures it is school grounds and I figure it is not. We start and he won't punch at me. He is like, "you gotta swing at me first". Again, WTF is wrong with this dude? I start thinking about all the crap his family has done to us and I black out. Next thing I know I am sitting on his chest getting ready to finish pounding his head into the ground. My friends are saying, "Frank, you can stop now." I am freaked out because I don't remember anything that happened until that point. So I tell him he fought good and I go home.

Later that night the cops show up at my house asking questions about the fight. The neighbors are saying I jumped him, I had brass knuckles, and used karate moves. I had some stupid dog collar on my hand with a cloth glove. The collar had blunt, almost flat, studs on it. It did leave four mark on his head though because I punched him in the forehead. The only karate move I used was the "kick his butt" move. Maybe I did some wax-on wax-off I dunno because I don't remember.

Then we walk over to talk to the neighbors. The neighbor just sees my dad and not the cop. So he starts yelling at my dad. The cop sees what is going on and realizes our neighbors are really messed up people. Then the neighbors start saying they are going to sue me for attacking the kid. The cop says, "you can't, he is only 13". Apparently in Utah you can't sue a kid unless he is 14. I dunno if that is really true, but it shut them up.

So it comes down to this. The neighbors put their stupid kid up to fighting me so they could sue us. How messed up is that? Another funny thing is the dad kept saying his kid won the fight, but all of my friends kept saying, "I don't think so."

Well the drama continued for a few years after that. What finally kept their kid from vandalizing our house was my brothers. One day two of my brothers were standing out on the driveway having a "chat". They knew the dad from the neighbors was outside so they started an "idle" conversation. The one brother says, "Man, if that kid messes with my car I am going to kick his butt." The other brother says, "No man, the kid is not 18 yet you will get in trouble. If he does something I am going to kick the dad's butt." With that quick "conversation" the vandalism stopped, the neighbors really never bothered us again.

So, that is the type of people "suit people" have to deal with. People that will actually put their kids in harms way to sue someone.
Old December 1st, 2007, 11:45 PM   #50
roller_dudette
skate addict!

There is plastic you can put on trucks so it doesnt distroy property

http://skateboard.about.com/cs/gear/gr/LozinCopers.htm

Old December 2nd, 2007, 09:28 AM   #51
LincolnRhyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat92Phil View Post
in one of haffeys sections theres a rail with blocks on it, and he does switchups over each skate stopper, when i saw it i was like damn. he told them to go **** themelves

Lol, and which video is that. I have to watch it!

Take care.

Peace.

Inline or Die
LincolnRhyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 09:33 AM   #52
LincolnRhyme

Quote:
There is plastic you can put on trucks so it doesnt distroy property

http://skateboard.about.com/cs/gear/gr/LozinCopers.htm

EEW. I can see why they would need to make that for skateboards. Metal trucks. Our frames are harmless, pish posh. Super strong plastic cant scrape stuff off. Btw, those truck rubbers look disgusting. Cannot imagine using them on our Roller Blade's frames. Rubber is on the other hand very important. ;D

Take care.

Peace.

Inline or Die
LincolnRhyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 10:20 AM   #53
j-slim
15 y.o. Portuguese skater

Quote:

it's not really like that... rollerbladers can take chunk off a ledge... it takes a bi more time, but it happens... I actually saw a piece of concrete falling off a ledge when I was grinding.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
j-slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 01:49 PM   #54
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
in the long run the only damage rollerbladers do is from waxing, which can easily be sandblasted off.
Oh, that's true. Most people don't mind sandblasting everything once a week or so...
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 02:42 PM   #55
fablemaker2
Pathological skater

Actually, grinding a cement ledge over time will probably more likely make it smoother. Kind of like the water fountains in Pompeii. The edges of the fountains were smoothed by people putting their hands down on the ledges.
fablemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 03:06 PM   #56
DJGeeCee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat92Phil View Post

ahhh, i think i know that video. Gotta go search it out
DJGeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 02:54 AM   #57
Pat92Phil
GOD member

i foud the video with haffey hopping skate stoppers, check it out its like 6:15 in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr17WcA4kXs
Pat92Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 04:04 AM   #58
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Hahaha, that guy is FREAKIN awesome! Hopping cars, flips, spinning the grinds. Cool vid.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 06:15 AM   #59
WaterCityJammer

Default interpretation

I'm working on skate stopper moves. My favourite so far is the Pong.
If you can't beat them, make them join you
WaterCityJammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 04:11 PM   #60
davidb1986

Quote:
This is a societal problem. People are so lawsuit phobic that they try and make it so you can't do anything on their property. However, it is "their property" and they can do what they want. We are not entitled, and we should be appreciative of businesses that look the other way. Part of that is working with city government to make skate parks and encourage commercial skate parks.
The town just next to mine put up a small skate park. It isn't much but I'm about to use the heck outta it. I think skate parks should be essential in any town. That's coming from an 8 year veteran EMT who has seen many skate accidents on the streets. Doesn't deter me though. I wear all my pads and a helmet to help prevent injury though it's not a sure way out.
davidb1986 is offline   Reply With Quote