S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Aggressive Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to vert skating, skatepark tricks, aggressive street skating, action sports events, and the aggressive skating lifestyle.

Old February 18th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #41
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS

http://vimeo.com/9413032

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 02:56 PM   #42
Malcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolishun View Post
Thanks for the encouragement!
10000 pushups in a day is a ton.
Malcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 06:44 PM   #43
Malcom

I don't really talk about things alot but here is a video for kicks and giggles (I have actually done 405 with this grip). As you can see I am not some "big" guy with some "great physique" which is what I have always got a kick out of because you would never dream I could run like I do, jump like I do, or lift the amount of weight I do.

http://www.youtube.com/sshetler13#p/u/19/yCXrtnTg_J0
Old February 23rd, 2010, 07:05 PM   #44
Malcom

As far as a goal goes mine is to bench 405 on an incline bench
Old February 24th, 2010, 03:39 AM   #45
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcom View Post
As far as a goal goes mine is to bench 405 on an incline bench
Damn!
Old February 24th, 2010, 05:43 AM   #46
biffsk8er

My goal is to drink a beer on a 405 pound sublime bench.
Old February 24th, 2010, 03:01 PM   #47
Malcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
Damn!
Ain't there yet LOL.....

55 more lbs to go.
Old February 24th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #48
Malcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffsk8er View Post
My goal is to drink a beer on a 405 pound sublime bench.
lol
Old February 26th, 2010, 01:04 AM   #49
Malcom

Back on topic....

I would also like to run a marathon.
Old February 26th, 2010, 06:01 AM   #50
Demolishun
Aggro Member

I don't think I have ever met someone who is a body builder who is not "aggressive". Testosterone is a powerful thing!

I gotta tell you that 'perfect pain' device really is working my tris like crazy. The regular pushups did not work the tris as much. Last night I felt them sticking out and looked down and thought holy crap those are getting big. Those are sticking out way more than before. They also help with any wrist joint issues I might have had. On top of that I have been using them as parallel bars for doing planche pushups. Very handy!

Oh, and a shirt I was wearing the other day I could have flexed and tore it out the back if I had tried. Gonna have to get bigger dress shirts! Fun, fun, fun! Booyah! I can't wait to try a one arm hand stand on the edge of a bowl or ramp this summer! I definitely will have to do that in a bike racing shirt. Will make for some good photos. Wife will like those!
Old February 26th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #51
Malcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojaco61 View Post
As do I, I am a lot stronger than I used to be.

BTW, congrats on your achievement.

And there are exceptions to your rule. I DO!
Thank you. I still have miles to go before I sleep

I am starting to skate again because I don't feel as "athletic" as I once did due to me putting on about 25lbs over the past 6 or 7 years. The treadmill is getting sickening-running outside at the track is somewhat better, but I still don't "enjoy" it.
Old February 26th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #52
Malcom

Probably the greatest athlete ever....

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...26tbs%3Disch:1
Old February 26th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #53
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Here are a couple of my favorites:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Lee
http://www.jacklalanne.com/

A great picture:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Th...flex.front.jpg

I like both of these athletes because they combined form and function and reached spectacular heights in performance.
Old February 26th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #54
biffsk8er

Holy Cow!! I remember seeing the movie about him, with Burt Lancaster, but I had no idea what an insane athlete this guy was!!

I'd have to agree with you. He is the worlds greatest athlete.
Old February 26th, 2010, 05:32 PM   #55
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcom View Post
Probably the greatest athlete ever....
A very impressive athlete. I wonder how many athletes in the second half of the 20th century were inspired by him.
Old February 26th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #56
Malcom

Yeah he pretty much did everything and was great at everything he did and what he did encompassed all aspects of being an athlete-speed, strength, stamina, agility, coordination.

And he did all of this without an "impressive physique"
Old March 2nd, 2010, 06:16 AM   #57
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Any suggestions for rest period for muscles? I have been averaging about 50 to 60 pushups a day. I was doing them for 2 days straight with 1 day off. However, tonight I felt like doing a bunch of planche pushups and did 30 of those. This would make for the third day pushups in a row. I don't spend more than five minutes per session, but I don't want to wind up burning out the muscles so that I lose ground. I can feel the tendons and muscles in my forearms complaining a bit.

I am eating a high antioxidant diet (5000 Orac daily) with equivalent of 13 servings of fruits and vegetables a day in nutrients. Plus I have been consuming lots of almonds during the day for protein. That should take care of muscle growth/recovery.

Any thoughts would be appreciated as I know there a lot of muscle builders here.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:11 PM   #58
Z3R0L4G

Everything I've read says leave a days rest between heavy workouts. I usually break mine up every other day. so monday wednesday friday workout tuesday and thursday cardio and then the next week switch. its been working for me.
Z3R0L4G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 04:36 PM   #59
Malcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolishun View Post
Any suggestions for rest period for muscles? I have been averaging about 50 to 60 pushups a day. I was doing them for 2 days straight with 1 day off. However, tonight I felt like doing a bunch of planche pushups and did 30 of those. This would make for the third day pushups in a row. I don't spend more than five minutes per session, but I don't want to wind up burning out the muscles so that I lose ground. I can feel the tendons and muscles in my forearms complaining a bit.
If you are talking about taking breaks from pushups there is no need to.

The less you rest the muscles during the workout the more in shape you will become. What most people do is take 1-3 minutes in between sets which allows the body to recover and use the same muscle fibers as the set before-when in reality what you should do is take a shorter rest to make the body use muscle fibers it didn't use the first time.

Let's use the bench for example. I will start with 45 then 135 then 225 then 275 then 315. These are my warm ups which I take no break in between. When I get to the "work" sets I might take 20-30sec. The only other thing I take an actual break in between work sets are squats. For all others, I take no rest break as I will superset-let's say leg curls and rows as an example.

Also when weight training, a short extra workout of the same muscles the day after the "major" workout, can provide your muscles with restorative benefits (followed by a day off).
Old March 2nd, 2010, 08:32 PM   #60
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS

Your accomplishments in the area of lifting heavy weights are worthy of note Malcom, however during this whole argument there has been an apples to oranges scenario going on. Competitive weightlifters and powerlifters train to lift their heaviest weight possible for one rep, lifting the weight from point A to point B within the parameters of the rules of the particular lift they are performing. To perfect the technique involved in each lift they perform relatively low repetitions with weights fairly close to what they will be lifting for their one rep max (percentage wise anyways). Competitive weightlifting is basically 90% technique and 10% brute strength. There are massively strong monsters out there who would never make it as competitive lifters because they don't have the skills and technique. If you don't lift properly, you either miss the lift or you get hurt, hopefully not the latter. Low reps are used because muscle and general fatigue would impair the lifters ability to perform the lift properly after several reps. Plus with some lifts you simply have to put the weight down between reps to assume the proper starting position for the next one (deadlifts, snatches, clean and jerk, etc.).

Now to the other side of the coin. Bodybuilders train with relatively heavy weights (for the average person) to stimulate their muscles to grow. The strength they gain is a byproduct of their training, not their main goal. They attempt to stimulate every part of every muscle, even small muscles that the competitive weightlifter wouldn't give a thought to (serratus magnus, intercostals, infraspinatus, etc.). They use weights that push the muscles to failure for the number of repetitions they are performing in that exercise, hence "the pump". Some bodybuilding exercises are so dependent on concentration and technique that "heavy" weights are impossible for that movement, hence the "slowness" one often sees with bodybuilders performing their exercises. Some compound bodybuilding movements are basically similar to powerlifting movements (squat, bench, deadlift) and there are athletes out there who do both powerlifting and bodybuilding. Very few Olympic lifters also competitive bodybuild, although there are bodybuilders who got their start as Olympic lifters (Sergio Oliva, Arnold's main competitor, being one).

There are bodybuilders who are clumsy as an ox, despite being in great physical condition. Nobody said one has to be a great athlete to have a strong, fit, muscular body. There are folks out there who are great weightlifters, despite having a physique that looks ordinary. Interestingly in the early days of weightlifting and bodybuilding, no real distinction was made between the two. They were known as professional strongmen or ironmen and travelled from town to town putting on shows of strength, muscle control and physique display. http://sandowplus.co.uk/

There's more than one way of building muscle and strength. Each has its proponents and opponents, but in the end, any sensible strength routine is better than none.

As far as any ego boosting, while beginning lifters and bodybuilders may have that, when you make it up the ranks that develops more into pride in what you're doing. Egomaniacs don't last long against mature competitors.

Last edited by RS Dave; March 2nd, 2010 at 09:53 PM.
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote