S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Aggressive Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to vert skating, skatepark tricks, aggressive street skating, action sports events, and the aggressive skating lifestyle.

Old May 31st, 2009, 08:09 AM   #41
geriatricskate

Has anybody got an idea of how to delete a thread here?

I was horrified to notice that someone picked up on this thread and posted a link to another forum. Before all the nasty posts start I'd rather delete this one here and forget about finding the other girls around my age on skates. (They appear to have more sense than I have, anyway!!! )

I missed the Chaz Sands Invitational yesterday due to flu; this morning I found out about that link.... How much worse can my day get?
geriatricskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:25 AM   #42
biffsk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by geriatricskate View Post
Has anybody got an idea of how to delete a thread here?
You could always edit your post, and delete anything that you do not want in your post. But, if some one already quoted you, I'm not sure if it would delete their post. You might want to ask Kathy, the girl who runs this site.....for the most part.
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:32 AM   #43
geriatricskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolishun View Post
I AM going to skate into my 90s and beyond! I am very much convinced with proper diet and exercise humans can do amazing things their entire lives. I have another 60 years to skate!
BTW:
In a little town here (Ormskirk) there is a 70+ skater who made headlines by having had his skates confiscated. The court ruled in favour of the local council
But then... I saw Mr. D the other day cutting through the hospital grounds on his skates.
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:34 AM   #44
biffsk8er

Quote:
BTW:
In a little town here (Ormskirk) there is a 70+ skater who made headlines by having had his skates confiscated. The court ruled in favour of the local council
But then... I saw Mr. D the other day cutting through the hospital grounds on his skates.
That guy cracks me up! Power to the old man!!!
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:36 AM   #45
geriatricskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffsk8er View Post
You could always edit your post, and delete anything that you do not want in your post. But, if some one already quoted you, I'm not sure if it would delete their post. You might want to ask Kathy, the girl who runs this site.....for the most part.
No, I can't delete other people's posts. But if the post had disappeared the link would not work and with that the interest would disappear.

Right now I feel an idiot for posting in the first place.
Old May 31st, 2009, 05:45 PM   #46
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Quote:
Right now I feel an idiot for posting in the first place.
I dont understand. Is someone bashing you or misrepresenting you?
Please provide other link so we can understand the problem.
Old May 31st, 2009, 05:56 PM   #47
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Geoff Dornan is in interesting fellow. It looks like there are a bunch of people with their nose in the air not wanting this guy to skate. I dunno the whole story though. What would be fun is to give the street a REAL taste of dangerous skating. If a bunch of aggro skaters descended upon it and started doing their thing Geoff would look like a miniature poodle compared to the pitbulls. People are strange and want to tear down people who are trying to do something great with their lives. They dont want to see this Geoff guy succeed. What is up with that?

I am going to add Geoff to my skating hero list.
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:55 AM   #48
geriatricskate

@Demolishun: at the moment I'd rather leave everything as it is as the interest has disappeared.
I was shocked to say the least! Lets face it; there are not too many girls who skate aggressive and it is hard enough for them to be taken seriously.
I saw Jenna Downing and Fallon Heffernan skate on Friday - absolutely amazing!
They really don't need an old bat as a curiosity!
I skate because I like it and I hope to find some other old bats who think the same. Since I have started skating I have noticed some great benefits - I have regained quite a lot of the ability to fall without doing damage. My joints have become more flexible again and as for bone density...... *wow* I am dated 29!
But publicity..... I'd rather leave this to the really good skaters!

To Geoff Dornan: yeah, he did make headlines in the news. Southport is quite an odd town (I work in that place). People are prim and proper and take not well to disruption. Mr. D. did skate around the shopping precinct and people did not like it. They thought he was dangerous.
So Mr. Dornan lost his case, despite citing the benefit to his health. It did cheer me up to see him on his skates again!
Old June 1st, 2009, 02:48 PM   #49
fablemaker2
Pathological skater

is a "push bike" what we call scooters?
fablemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 03:20 PM   #50
geriatricskate

A push bike is a bicycle. Why do you want to know that?
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:25 AM   #51
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fablemaker2 View Post
is a "push bike" what we call scooters?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CJa6cPYOrw

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:30 AM   #52
geriatricskate

Hahahahahaha, what a great song! And the sooooo 70's bicycles!!!
Nowadays this vid would not have been possible to make - Health&Safety (fun stoppers) issues.....

Here the story of Mr. D.
http://www.southportvisiter.co.uk/so...1022-22890428/

and here the latest:
http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...2534-23739143/

I really feel sorry for the man! But i was glad to see him still skating recently.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 01:29 PM   #53
NEF

I turn 30 this month and am considering getting into aggro...any advice...I think my wife thinks that I'm too old...and too big...I'm currently around 250lbs...i've lost 80lbs since the end of june last year...looking to loose about 50 more and think this might be a fun way to do it. I have been teaching my wife to skate (inline recreationally) which is fine but I would like to try my hand (feet?) at some grinds and ramps...
NEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 02:42 PM   #54
biffsk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEF View Post
I turn 30 this month and am considering getting into aggro...any advice...I think my wife thinks that I'm too old...and too big...I'm currently around 250lbs...i've lost 80lbs since the end of june last year...looking to loose about 50 more and think this might be a fun way to do it. I have been teaching my wife to skate (inline recreationally) which is fine but I would like to try my hand (feet?) at some grinds and ramps...
Pads - helmet
Go for it! I'm 45 and going stronger than ever.

You can see here.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:23 PM   #55
Z3R0L4G

Go for it NEF. I'm only a year or two behind you (29 this year). Its worth it for the excercise and fun of it.
Z3R0L4G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 06:18 PM   #56
geriatricskate

I agree; GO FOR IT! There is no such thing as 'too old' !!!
Old June 3rd, 2009, 02:35 AM   #57
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Quote:
@Demolishun: at the moment I'd rather leave everything as it is as the interest has disappeared.
I was shocked to say the least! Lets face it; there are not too many girls who skate aggressive and it is hard enough for them to be taken seriously.
I saw Jenna Downing and Fallon Heffernan skate on Friday - absolutely amazing!
They really don't need an old bat as a curiosity!
I skate because I like it and I hope to find some other old bats who think the same.
I hear you somewhat, but consider this. How will you find the 'old bats' to skate with unless somebody knows you are skating? They DO need an older active girl who doesn't act her age to show that you can skate past 30. Is football, basketball, soccer, tennis, skateboarding, etc all about the pros? If it was they would never sell a ball, racket, board, skate, etc to the masses. Someone in the sport as a pro or vendor who thinks certain people are inappropriate to represent the sport because of age or ability is a small thinker. Big thinkers think in terms of abundance and inclusion, not elitism (must control resources) and exclusion.

Tony Hawk is a great example. He built his business when the chips were down and the sport in a recession. How many kids have a board because Tony wanted affordable decent quality equipment available to the masses? How many of those kids will EVER be pro quality? How many are too old, gimpy, ugly, by societies terms yet skate because they feel good and have fun? Should the guy with no legs from South America be allowed on youtube? Yet he boards better than most people ever will.

In my opinion there are not enough geezers out there skating. If there were they would be passing on a lifetime of knowledge to a struggling generation. Indoor skateparks need to be inundated by old man stink!

You have a gift and a talent to skate. Share it with the world. Perhaps the world would be happy to see someone gettin' on when the TV says the world is going to hell. You certainly always give me a smile when I see you skate. It tells me that I will some day be in your place inspiring someone like me to skate more.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 05:22 AM   #58
Smirnus

Hooray for old guys!!! Definitely use helmet, knee elbow and wrist pads. consider hip pads. Research how to pump ramps and keep up your speed. Transitions are easier if you know where to focus.
Smirnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:10 AM   #59
biffsk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolishun View Post
In my opinion there are not enough geezers out there skating. If there were they would be passing on a lifetime of knowledge to a struggling generation. Indoor skateparks need to be inundated by old man stink!
AMEN, brother! Sing it to the masses from the highest mountain top!!!
(ahem......and 'old woman stink')
Old June 3rd, 2009, 01:44 PM   #60
Ulle
Flying Fin

I dont like elbow pads, I cant balance with those things on my arms Though I usually nowdays land on my hands (not handwalkin, for those who were thinking out loud ), or knees ..but most of the time, on my feet (skates :P)
Ulle is offline   Reply With Quote