S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Aggressive Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to vert skating, skatepark tricks, aggressive street skating, action sports events, and the aggressive skating lifestyle.

Old September 8th, 2008, 03:47 AM   #21
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Send me a PM or email and I will answer that question. It would not be appropriate for me to post it here. My only intent was to educate on what I am learning about current market trends.
Old September 8th, 2008, 05:54 AM   #22
killerboots

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishboy View Post
You're speaking as if every rollerblader out there does nothing but rollerblade. While alot of them don't really have anything lined up after they're skating starts to decline, just as many of them, if not more, have a career lined up. Just look at Murda, the Kelsos, Austin Paz, Robert Levianos, Cameron Card (I believe he is the manager of a hotel or ski lodge, or something). Look at all of the photographers in rollerblading? They could easily shoot a wedding every other weekend for a couple hundred a pop. If you were to do that while rollerblading professionally, when it comes time to call the quits you should have a large and diverse professional portfolio to take to any studio or newspaper looking to hire another photographer. Nearly every well known rollerblader from Rhode Island is either in college or working to support themselves, also.

I'm not sure if throwing their life away are the right words to use, either. Take it for what it's worth, but my opinion is that, if you asked a professional rollerblader if he regretted spending so much time rollerblading, I'm sure he would say no. The places rollerbladers travel to, the people they meet, regardless of how much money you have or don't have, you can't buy happiness. I'm not looking to start an e-argument, I'm just stating my opinion.

have you been to newyork? the kids around here are dumb. i know that they wouldn't really regret it, i wouldn't either but if i was broke i might have wished i done things alil differently. kids around here think that blading basketball football soccer watever is going to save them and they dont have to go to school thats the main point of my mindless rant lol. and i know. you can;t put the kelso's in that bar though. their rich as **** even if they moved out, they still got that money. murda is a smart mofo thats why i love him. and the reason i used "throwing their lives away" is because i seen it happen too much to let it happen again and again, its sad but hey! i cant do anything about it i'm just one person..
killerboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #23
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerboots View Post
have you been to newyork? the kids around here are dumb. i know that they wouldn't really regret it, i wouldn't either but if i was broke i might have wished i done things alil differently. kids around here think that blading basketball football soccer watever is going to save them and they dont have to go to school thats the main point of my mindless rant lol. and i know. you can;t put the kelso's in that bar though. their rich as **** even if they moved out, they still got that money. murda is a smart mofo thats why i love him. and the reason i used "throwing their lives away" is because i seen it happen too much to let it happen again and again, its sad but hey! i cant do anything about it i'm just one person..
You may be just one person, but I can tell by your eloquence that you're one of the smart ones. Congrats.
Old September 9th, 2008, 04:25 AM   #24
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Quote:
i cant do anything about it i'm just one person..
I believe you can. I also believe you can go pro. But my opinion is not what counts, it is yours:
Earl Nightingale The Strangest Secret

The original (I own 2 copies, one to listen to, one to lend out):
The Strangest Secret CD

A man was walking down the beach and observed another man picking up star fish and tossing them into the ocean. The first man asked the second man, "Why do you bother? You can't save them all. You can't make a difference." Without a word the second man picked up another star fish and threw it into the ocean and replied, "It made a difference to that one."

Find people in life that have the success you want and find out what they did. Then do what they did.
Old September 19th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #25
killerboots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolishun View Post
I believe you can. I also believe you can go pro. But my opinion is not what counts, it is yours:
Earl Nightingale The Strangest Secret

The original (I own 2 copies, one to listen to, one to lend out):
The Strangest Secret CD

A man was walking down the beach and observed another man picking up star fish and tossing them into the ocean. The first man asked the second man, "Why do you bother? You can't save them all. You can't make a difference." Without a word the second man picked up another star fish and threw it into the ocean and replied, "It made a difference to that one."

Find people in life that have the success you want and find out what they did. Then do what they did.

sorry if this is very long

i might be able to. and thanks for believing in me, but i only can help so many people. in my life i think i'm be helping people more than myself, i dont know why i just will. Its hard because no one listens. they think they're right even though they are completely wrong. example." hurricane Katrina. a girl told me that bush didn't like blacks so he didn't 'warn them' about how dangerous it was going to be. i don't know about you but if a hurricane was coming to my area, i would be gone is sixty seconds!
Maybe FEMA did take awhile to come. they weren't expecting it to cause that much damage. and this girl went on and on and on.
she asked me if i would serve my country for war. i said " well i don't wanna die but given the fact i'm going to shoot people. i would be down there first in line. not for the country but for myself and whoever else i love."

After she called me stupid and a whole bunch of other stuff i just walked away. and keep in mind. these were not any of her ideals she was hoaxed by a "black" teacher who is probably racist as **** *even though i'm black. i hate !most! black people for this. showing that she was in fact the stupid one for adopting this mans ideals and making them her own. after all of this i went home drank a beer and watch the simpsons movie.

sorry if this is very long again.
Old September 19th, 2008, 08:43 PM   #26
biffsk8er

Default When will people learn to wear a helmet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirnus View Post
Sheckler seems to be the new golden boy, who also doesn't wear pads in comps or video's.
Take a look at this VIDEO where Sheckler throws his pads into the trash. What a good example to all the young kids, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbsy View Post
no matter how big or hard the trick is, there's always a potentially a serious injury involved.
A-freakin-men!! I just lost a finger while sliding over a fun box. Wedding ring caught on a loose screw. And I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've hit my head! My helmet always saves me, and I've knocked myself either out or silly on 2 occasions.

10 examples of skaters deaths without a helmet :

First - Second - Third - Fourth - Fifth - Sixth - Seventh - Eighth - Ninth - Tenth
Old September 19th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #27
killerboots

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffsk8er View Post

Take a look at this VIDEO where Sheckler throws his pads into the trash. What a good example to all the young kids, eh?

A-freakin-men!! I just lost a finger while sliding over a fun box. Wedding ring caught on a loose screw. And I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've hit my head! My helmet always saves me, and I've knocked myself either out or silly on 2 occasions.

10 examples of skaters deaths without a helmet :

First - Second - Third - Fourth - Fifth - Sixth - Seventh - Eighth - Ninth - Tenth

most of them skateboards.. most rollerbladers don't really die after a head injury.very few. and the government doesn't care if they did there would be laws. people wear helmets by choice and sometimes difficulty of a trick
Old September 19th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #28
biffsk8er

Quote:
most rollerbladers don't really die after a head injury.
I'd like to know from where did you get that statistic. That is a general statement with no founding. You could just as easily say the same of skateboarders. Statistically speaking though, there are a lot more skateboarders than inliners, hence the higher # of fatalities.

Death from head trauma knows no boundaries based on the type of sport.

The ones that were roller-skaters/inline-skaters are - #1 - #4 - #5 & #7
That is 4 out of 10. I think you need to rethink your comment.
Old September 19th, 2008, 11:20 PM   #29
killerboots

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffsk8er View Post
I'd like to know from where did you get that statistic. That is a general statement with no founding. You could just as easily say the same of skateboarders. Statistically speaking though, there are a lot more skateboarders than inliners, hence the higher # of fatalities.

Death from head trauma knows no boundaries based on the type of sport.

The ones that were roller-skaters/inline-skaters are - #1 - #4 - #5 & #7
That is 4 out of 10. I think you need to rethink your comment.

i thought it through and i did when i made my first comment. and i have come to this conclusion. that first even though a helmet could have saved these people i think it was number 4 where the guy was holding up his girlfriend in central park? it was self inflicted in a way. to get hit by a bike you would have to be stupid pretty much. josh waggnor had no way of saving himself.*i heard the complete story it started a helmet movement in atlanta*. richie was just tragic. but as we all know. helmets put a damper on skating completley. unless your doing park. and actually there are way more bladers than skateboarders. not counting the "team ice cream skateboard P" era and even so.
Old September 20th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #30
GunnerMan

Not sure how a helmet puts a damper on skating? It dosen't restrict movement or sight. Anyways when I was a kid and started skating about the same time as 2 other buddys of mine did. We had some frieds that had been skating for a while and were in our books then "very good." They never wore helmets or pads unless a skatepark required them. As for our parents they wouldn't let us leave the house without a helmet. When we skated at the park or alone we wore our helmets most of the time but wanting to be cool around the better skaters we never wore them with them.

Looking back I cant belive I was so ignorant, I have hit my head many times (always with helmet) none hard enough to cause any major damage but it would have hurt. Now im getting back into skating and I wont leave home without a helmet. Im not that stupid anymore I still want to be walking when I turn 30.
GunnerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 12:53 AM   #31
Smirnus

Quote:
most of them skateboards.. most rollerbladers don't really die after a head injury.very few. and the government doesn't care if they did there would be laws. people wear helmets by choice and sometimes difficulty of a trick

In California, the state passed a law a couple years ago the requires all under 18 users of anything with wheels to wear helmets.
Smirnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #32
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerMan View Post
Looking back I cant belive I was so ignorant, I have hit my head many times (always with helmet) none hard enough to cause any major damage but it would have hurt. Now im getting back into skating and I wont leave home without a helmet. Im not that stupid anymore I still want to be walking when I turn 30.
a MAN with intelligence! yes, and i thought i would never break a bone, not this bad. dont know anyone with such a bad break ever that rollerskates. noone in my family has broken a bone. omg, but it happened to ME! gosh, i dont know anyone from this board paralyzed from the neck down, but it could be........ it only takes a sec. someone might have put a touch of oil on a rail that u perfectly hit and then.....
roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 05:02 AM   #33
irishboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirnus View Post
In California, the state passed a law a couple years ago the requires all under 18 users of anything with wheels to wear helmets.
Same in RI. At skateparks it's manditory regardless of age, and what your doing. You could be a mom standph (ing there, but if you're in a "designated skating area" you need a helmet. Whether this is enforced is a whole different story.

Recently two skateboarders in RI died from head injuries. Argue with me all you want, but I will gladly tell you all the padding in the world couldn't save one of them; a twenty(ish) year old who was skating downhill on one of the busyist roads in RI, at one in the morning, who was hit by a car going around fifty mph (the speed limit is 45, I believe.)

There isn't any protection against stupidity.
Old September 20th, 2008, 07:34 AM   #34
biffsk8er

Quote:
it was number 4 where the guy was holding up his girlfriend in central park? it was self inflicted in a way.
No, that is not what happened. She "was being spun around ON her skates by a companion" when her path crossed with a bicyclist. The article never says she was being "held up"That is in no way self inflicted. It has accident written all over it.

Quote:
...as we all know, helmets put a damper on skating completley.
No, I don't know. Helmets are only a damper to those that want to 'look cool'. Looking cool is what got all 10 people I cited killed. Do they look cool now?

There is no definitive data that I can find for the # of skaters vs. skateboarders. But, I would guess that the # of aggressive skateboarders far outweighs the # of inline aggressive skaters. At least in the U.S.. Are you in another country?
Old September 20th, 2008, 06:42 PM   #35
stubbsy
old boy

i'm with biff. at my local it's split about 50% skateboards 49% bikes 1% rollerblades, that 1% usually being me. skateboarding gets loads of media coverage, inline gets virtually none, and everyone knows about skateboarding. even if there isn't a boarder in the house, pretty much every single household will have owned a copy of tony hawks or skate or whatever. it's inevitable, because skateboarding games are so fun and popular, then people think 'damn, that looks sweet. i wanna try that myself' and get a board the next day.
well that's the story in england. there's 0 inspiration for people to start rollerblading. hence the lack of bladders.
Old September 21st, 2008, 04:47 AM   #36
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

I said it before:

If you have a ten dollar head, wear a ten dollar helmet.

I bit it on a 30' A-frame jump on my dirtbike back in the 80's. My dirtbike got ****** on the way down, I bailed and the thing landed on me. (the back wheel hit my head at the same time my head hit the dirt.)

I got up, dazed, and undid the chin strap, when I went to lift the helmet off my head, it split in two, held together only by the liner.

I've been a big helmet supporter since. I just posted a thread 10' fall to the flat. Granted, I'm no pro, but I'm getting kinda good. That had the potential of ending my good.

(thank God it didn't, we had so much fun shredding Texas this weekend!!!!!)

Dave the helmet wearer
Old September 21st, 2008, 06:11 AM   #37
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big View Post
Granted, I'm no pro, but I'm getting kinda good.
A skater (inline or board) is not a professional if they take unnecessary risks. Not wearing a helmet is an unnecessary risk. I could not imagine not wearing a hard hat in a construction site. Or not using a fall protection device when working from heights on a job site. In fact, if I did, I would get fired. Skating is way higher risk for injury than most jobs. Just because you don't hear the train whistle doesn't mean it is not coming.

However, most people don't think about that until they get married or have children. Then people start thinking about somebody other than themselves.

There is another way to look at this. If you have a desire to become a pro skater then you should look at the bottom line. Skaters get sponsored to make money. If you are only sponsored by the skate/wheel/frame manufacturers you are leaving money on the table. If you always wear a helmet and pads you can get sponsored by those companies too. If a sponsor sees you as irresponsible toward your own health what is their incentive to invest in you? Dead or brain damaged skaters don't sell many skates.

Again, that is why I see the inline aggressive market as very immature. They are bad role models, they always seem to be angry, they can't understand why their sport will not grow, and they take too many risks. This causes them to lose money and stay small.
Old September 21st, 2008, 02:15 PM   #38
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

@Demo: Not only would you get fired for inadequate safety equipment, OSHA would fine your company into bankruptcy. THAT is why you would get fired. First and second time offenses run well into the tens of thousands.

What just blows my mind is all the parents out there who dump their kids at the skatepark, no helmet or pads and just leave them there for hours. Eventually the CPS (child protective services) will probably act as a residential type OSHA, policing parents and enacting regulations due to their own lack of common sense.

OSHA sucks so bad and is so very detrimental to business that a similar entity such as DHS-CPS would be a nightmare. All its gonna take is a few more high profile deaths at skateparks and they will get involved.

If we don't start policing ourselves, we'll find some federal agency doing it for us. And these types of agencies have nearly unlimited power (think IRS/DHS). They'll either shut the parks down, or start confiscating children, or some similar black booted action.

It really is just a matter of time........

Old September 21st, 2008, 05:28 PM   #39
biffsk8er

This whole safety issue argument has got me to thinking that there should be state or national standards that skate parks should be required to meet. It would be hard to enforce, but I think that if these extreme sports are to flourish and grow, then we need to put up a polished appearance to the general population.

Something kind of like OSHA.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 02:11 PM   #40
roller_dudette
skate addict!

i vote for biff lol!

What gets me is that most of the damaging accidents are relatively simple falls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwTj9...eature=related

i mean crap, this guy busted his arm from like 1' of air?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz6oOtjSg-o&NR=1

banging head doesnt seem so infrequent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9mS5...eature=related

gee, i'll keep w/ protective gear. these were young healthy kids.
roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote