S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Aggressive Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to vert skating, skatepark tricks, aggressive street skating, action sports events, and the aggressive skating lifestyle.

Old August 15th, 2008, 08:13 PM   #1
irishboy

Default Cameron Card without a helmet

After Cameron Card hit his head he went on a pretty big helmet campan, but he wasn't wearing a helmet during his newest edit.

http://www.rollernews.com/cameron-ca...on10_4618.html

He also went on to say this:

Quote:
Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:53 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Listen people!! yeah no helmet.. I talked to the doctor and he said it's fine as long as I'm not dropping far or jumping high. My Brain and my Skull are healed 100% I could take the same fall I did when I injured it and would have a bigger chance of dying but it's not 100% death. This happening in my life has taught me a lot and I've matured in my rollerblading. so at park I'm without a helmet unless I'm doing something beyond what I think is easy. I'm always with a helmet on street where you have to jump above your knee. so no worries friends!! haha

just worry that I can't skate with my left foot on most tricks cause I have a bad ankle now. so I'm mostly a righty

w0rd

P.S.
if you knew me in real life you'd know I'm a very unselfish person and I'd
never do that to the people I'm around. That is why they still rollerblade with me.

Sean Hunter your the MAN and hopefully we blade sometime soon.

I don't mind the people that hate because I know you have no clue about everything I've gone through and learned because of this and I'd feel the same way if it was the other way around.

Much LOVE
R.I.P Josh Waggoner

-Cameron Card
Not sure if I agree with him. I'd like to hear everyone else's opinion.
Old August 15th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #2
stubbsy
old boy

no, this is bs. what if it'd ended up like the richard taylor incident. he's fooking lucky he is still able to skate, and if that fall didn't manage to knock some sense into him then nothing will. skate accidents can happen anywhere, on the smallest trick. no matter how big or hard the trick is, there's always a potentially a serious injury involved. wearing a helmet severely lowers that chance.
taylor is the best example of this. he died outside his house just by hitting a tree. so unfortunate, but this can happen anywhere. seeing as Cameron has had a first hand experience of what a head injury can do to your life, i say more the fool him for not wearing one.
Old August 15th, 2008, 09:53 PM   #3
s243a

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbsy View Post
no, this is bs. what if it'd ended up like the richard taylor incident. he's fooking lucky he is still able to skate, and if that fall didn't manage to knock some sense into him then nothing will. skate accidents can happen anywhere, on the smallest trick. no matter how big or hard the trick is, there's always a potentially a serious injury involved. wearing a helmet severely lowers that chance.
taylor is the best example of this. he died outside his house just by hitting a tree. so unfortunate, but this can happen anywhere. seeing as Cameron has had a first hand experience of what a head injury can do to your life, i say more the fool him for not wearing one.

At least it's better if people wear a helmet on hard tricks then not at all. The only problem I guess is that accidents often do not occur when we do something we consider dangerous as that is when we are most careful and alert. So a word of advise. If you don't wear a helmet, don't take any trick for granted. When I started skating I didn't have pads and what I found is I didn't tend to fall until I got tiered. Skating without a halemet well injured is a real bad idea.

As for me. I always where a hamlet when agressive skating but not always when I skate recreationaly. This may not be a good idea though since I often find skating down hills with unpredictable surfaces around cars more dangerous then skating at a skate park.
s243a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 09:56 PM   #4
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

If you have a ten dollar head, then you tend to wear a ten dollar helmet.

I gotta shop in the 100 dollar sizes myself.
Old August 15th, 2008, 10:17 PM   #5
stubbsy
old boy

true foot. unless it's a 5O quid protec with 40 quid off in the january sales
Old August 15th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #6
Demolishun
Aggro Member

The pros in the aggro industry seem to be a little more narcissistic than the skate board industry. That attitude will continue to limit the money a pro aggro skater can make. Not taking care of your most valuable assets (mind and body) will limit the earning potential. When parents see Tony Hawk skating they think that would be a better role model than an aggro skater with a chip on his shoulder.
Old August 16th, 2008, 06:48 AM   #7
Smirnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolishun View Post
The pros in the aggro industry seem to be a little more narcissistic than the skate board industry. That attitude will continue to limit the money a pro aggro skater can make. Not taking care of your most valuable assets (mind and body) will limit the earning potential. When parents see Tony Hawk skating they think that would be a better role model than an aggro skater with a chip on his shoulder.

Tony is an excellent spokesman, when compared to Bam Margera or whoever MTV throws in the public. Yes, Tony wears his gear for demo's and such. His games didn't feature helmets for the first few releases, he has been featured in clips without pads entirely.

Sheckler seems to be the new golden boy, who also doesn't wear pads in comps or video's.

What's keeping rolling down is popularity and professionalism. If you've ever heard an interview with most of today's pro skaters, their about on the same level as rappers. Quite sad.
Smirnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 12:28 PM   #8
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big View Post
If you have a ten dollar head, then you tend to wear a ten dollar helmet.

I gotta shop in the 100 dollar sizes myself.

lol i bet ya i can find a 10 dollar helmet that wont be worse than ur 100 dollar one
Sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 01:20 PM   #9
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

I saw that on a Bell Helmet motorcycle ad sign at the House of Kawasaki here in OKC. Always thought it was appropriate.

The gist being; go ahead and make a larger investment on your most important hi-performance part -your brain. For without it, the rest of your gear is junk. Think about it, all your signature moves, your sick tricks, your awesome balance, the library of information and muscle memory....... your ability to skate so well, or at all....... one good bonk, and:

> NOW FORMATTING DRIVE C:\.............
> 19% complete - cyclic redundancy check fail!
> Sector read error drive c:\
> Drive c:\ not a valid drive
> Please insert boot disk......

you're f'n done!
Old August 18th, 2008, 02:58 AM   #10
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Quote:
Except the last one should be: Abort, Retry, FAIL!
Old August 20th, 2008, 07:45 PM   #11
biffsk8er

Quote:
I saw that on a Bell Helmet motorcycle ad sign at the House of Kawasaki here in OKC. Always thought it was appropriate.

The gist being; go ahead and make a larger investment on your most important hi-performance part -your brain. For without it, the rest of your gear is junk. Think about it, all your signature moves, your sick tricks, your awesome balance, the library of information and muscle memory....... your ability to skate so well, or at all....... one good bonk, and:

you're f'n done!
PERFECTLY stated.
I always wear a helmet meself.
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #12
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

"I am Bender, please insert girder."
Old September 6th, 2008, 07:09 AM   #13
killerboots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirnus View Post
Tony is an excellent spokesman, when compared to Bam Margera or whoever MTV throws in the public. Yes, Tony wears his gear for demo's and such. His games didn't feature helmets for the first few releases, he has been featured in clips without pads entirely.

Sheckler seems to be the new golden boy, who also doesn't wear pads in comps or video's.

What's keeping rolling down is popularity and professionalism. If you've ever heard an interview with most of today's pro skaters, their about on the same level as rappers. Quite sad.
so true..dipskate just adds to that theory. some of these skaters act like superstars when they are most certainly not. like ramelle knight. hes nice but on his own he decided to state he was one of the "top 5 rollerbladers in the world"?!? sike!! i mean we got haffey shima aragon, like almost every kid in europe is probably better than him. i rather put oli short before him. it was said when i heard that. he's been skating for awhile like 7 years or so but still wtf him saying that makes it seem like its another rap world. with rappers who suck but still say they're the best. our whole sport needs to be fixed, and its slowly coming back. Not the way i wanted it to but yeah. i dont even want it to be out like skateboarding its good how it is now we are a legit community of people who loved doing and probably saying the same thing. so lets keep it that way a preserve our sport instead of trying to be something we're not... skateboarding
killerboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 04:49 AM   #14
Smirnus

Nice thoughts Killer, but pro skateboarders can buy houses. The best pro rollerbladers are lucky to make rent.
Smirnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 05:12 AM   #15
killerboots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirnus View Post
Nice thoughts Killer, but pro skateboarders can buy houses. The best pro rollerbladers are lucky to make rent.
their fault. seriously its just like the whole basketball controversy with half of the kids just going straight to pro and knowing absolutely nothing!. they decided to throw there life away skating and no back up plan no good sidejob. because if they actually stayed in school, did something legit so they can have something to lay on when their in hardtimes. maybe they wouldn't have to rely on winning a competition just to make rent. like if i turn pro[i doubt it] i'm still gonna go to school do what i need to do[become a nurse for me almost done XD lol] get money so i can afford to take care of my self and actually do something i love on 2 separate professional levels. a nice job and an underground pastime..skating.
killerboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 06:36 AM   #16
irishboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerboots View Post
their fault. seriously its just like the whole basketball controversy with half of the kids just going straight to pro and knowing absolutely nothing!. they decided to throw there life away skating and no back up plan no good sidejob. because if they actually stayed in school, did something legit so they can have something to lay on when their in hardtimes. maybe they wouldn't have to rely on winning a competition just to make rent. like if i turn pro[i doubt it] i'm still gonna go to school do what i need to do[become a nurse for me almost done XD lol] get money so i can afford to take care of my self and actually do something i love on 2 separate professional levels. a nice job and an underground pastime..skating.
You're speaking as if every rollerblader out there does nothing but rollerblade. While alot of them don't really have anything lined up after they're skating starts to decline, just as many of them, if not more, have a career lined up. Just look at Murda, the Kelsos, Austin Paz, Robert Levianos, Cameron Card (I believe he is the manager of a hotel or ski lodge, or something). Look at all of the photographers in rollerblading? They could easily shoot a wedding every other weekend for a couple hundred a pop. If you were to do that while rollerblading professionally, when it comes time to call the quits you should have a large and diverse professional portfolio to take to any studio or newspaper looking to hire another photographer. Nearly every well known rollerblader from Rhode Island is either in college or working to support themselves, also.

I'm not sure if throwing their life away are the right words to use, either. Take it for what it's worth, but my opinion is that, if you asked a professional rollerblader if he regretted spending so much time rollerblading, I'm sure he would say no. The places rollerbladers travel to, the people they meet, regardless of how much money you have or don't have, you can't buy happiness. I'm not looking to start an e-argument, I'm just stating my opinion.
Old September 7th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #17
stubbsy
old boy

i agree with irishboy. the last bit he said about the rollerblading lifestyle with the places you go to and people you meet...that's what rollerblading is about. i'd rather meet a lot of really great people and travel around the world earning a fraction of what you would working in an office. when you're rollerblading at that level you have to be prepared to give up the money and the nice lifestyle for the people and places you'll travel to.
the kelsos are always talking about how they can't scrape a penny together but they'd never want to swap money for the people they've met, the places they've been and the experiences they've had.
Old September 7th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #18
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

My suggestion, speaking from experience and reaping the benefits, is to stay in school, work your azz off, and maybe you too will have a nice office job that will give you enough lattitude where you can sneak off EVERY SINGLE FREAKING day at lunch and go skate with me.

Also, a guy I roll with (he's a boarder) had a quoteworthy quote:
"If you're still hitting the verts when you're 30 years old, you're lucky. If you're still hitting em when you're 40, you wore your helmet."

I hit my head HARD yesterday airing out the coping and I landed on the flat, flat on my back, from about 10' up. Knocked my breath out, and rang my bell a tiny bit, but put a nice divot in the back of my helmet. I got to finish the three hour session, and got another 3 hours in this morning. Some of you guys are kids. Some of your aren't. You really aughta think long term safety. I'm SO glad that my body has never suffered a serious injury when I was younger. Cause now at 43 I am in the best shape of my life, and am reaping the benefits of these badazz skateparks going in everywhere.

Your results may vary.

:P

Dave the Pad Nazi
Old September 8th, 2008, 03:39 AM   #19
Demolishun
Aggro Member

To add what to what foot says about working hard:
1. Find a purpose in life, the sooner the better. Who do you want to be?
2. Read books about self improvement and marketing trends from reputable sources.
3. Target businesses that will make use of the following trends: internet, wellness industry, franchising, home based. There are many reasons for these, but reading "The Next Millionaires" by Professor Paul Zane Pilzer will shed some light on those.
4. Work hard and smart (reading).

I began this journey a few months ago. I know to much to ever go back to the way I was living before. Like foot says work hard and develop a decent income. I am doing just that so I can skate as much as I want when I want. It takes time to learn what you need to know, but it is SO worth it. The side effects are awesome. I care about people more than I did and I yell and swear less. Definitely a big improvement for me.

Take care
Old September 8th, 2008, 03:42 AM   #20
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS

What sort of home based businesses would you recommend?

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote