S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old January 7th, 2017, 04:26 AM   #1
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Default Freestyle Slalom Inside My House

Rain, cold, and 35mph wind outside inspired me once again to move some furniture around and spread out the cones inside the house. It's been 9 months since I skated in the house and filmed it. Amazing how I improved since the first video.

Here is the new 2017 video:

https://vimeo.com/198439112
Old January 7th, 2017, 06:57 AM   #2
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Lookin alot smoother man! Good job.

I love the video spot at 2:28. You kicked a couple cones that run and targeted the last one like FU@×ER! Lol. Sjow that cone who's boss!
Old January 7th, 2017, 07:13 AM   #3
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

Great job!!! You've made a lot of progress. Your house is perfect for skating.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 02:20 PM   #4
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Thanks y'all!

It was kind of like learning to ride a bicycle. All of a sudden, I could just do it. Of course, 50 years of skating including rink dance and hockey gave me a great foundation to start with. I think the turning point is not so much muscle memory as it is "cone memory". I sort of just KNOW where the cones are now and don't have to look at them so much, which allows me to just skate and not think too much about the floor. I also got the book "Art of Falling" and watched hundreds of hours of slalom videos online. I even downloaded some and converted them to super slow motion so I could learn the footwork. Actually, here is a link to my favorite one: https://vimeo.com/149233209 I slowed it way down and added my own music.

I gotta keep it REALLY conservative inside the house due to the narrowness of the runway. Sometimes my heel will hit a wall or appliance as it is. Also, any fall is very likely to end up on a sharp wooden corner or edge of a granite counter top. I guess that's why I looked a little stiff as I reviewed the footage. Don't want to fall on those plastic cones either! So falling BACKWARDS is out of the question - nowhere is safe. Hence, I tend to lean a tad forward in the house.

Next time I think I will set up four cones in a square pattern in the big front room and play with that some. I've seen that on some YouTube videos. You just keep going in a circle more or less so you don't have a start/end point. Should be a great workout.

Cheers!
Old January 8th, 2017, 03:57 AM   #5
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Yea, I could tell by your movements you had spacial constraints going on. Dont wanna get hung up and eat it hard.

Just watching you go at first, vs a few mins in, you can see tuat you were already acclimated to what space was available.

Cool stff man.