S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old April 14th, 2010, 01:44 PM   #21
Naomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoRon View Post
Going to be Orlando or Sarasota depending which school I'm getting into . Would be great if you can hook me up with some people around there when the time comes ^^.
Slalom isn't exactly order of the day in that area I think - there is Gaby Rolon in Miami, but your nearest skating group that I know of would be Tampa. There are also skaters in Orlando, but I don't know the scene there.

There are some good skate events in Florida though - there is the Great EsSkate in Miami in February, and in Tampa there is the Squiggy marathon. When you tell me where you're going to be I'll take a better look for you.
Naomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #22
KryptoRon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi View Post
Slalom isn't exactly order of the day in that area I think - there is Gaby Rolon in Miami, but your nearest skating group that I know of would be Tampa. There are also skaters in Orlando, but I don't know the scene there.

There are some good skate events in Florida though - there is the Great EsSkate in Miami in February, and in Tampa there is the Squiggy marathon. When you tell me where you're going to be I'll take a better look for you.
Tampa would be doable for weekends and holidays if I'm going to Sarasota for sure. So that's cool.
And we'll just MAKE it the order of the day there ^^. The more people we get together to practice the more likely we get noticed and so the ball starts rolling
Got lots of stuff to take care of before I can move (read: Visa's, Student loan, TOEFL test because my native language isn't English and some more things ). I hope I can get everything set before next school year, if not, well I'll be sure to let you know when exactly I'll be moving.

~~~Ron
KryptoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #23
Naomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoRon View Post
Visa's
Me toooooooooo!! Isn't it exciting...
Old May 25th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #24
Dean_R

Smile

Name: Dean
Location: Aarhus, Denmark (London whenever i have the time for it)
Equipment for slalom: Powerslide Hardcore Evo 2010 with UniQ 237 rockered frame / gyro/matter wheel-mix / random bearings that I try and break
Favorite slalom trick: Volt and weird variants of it. Partial likeness to heeling
Events: Planning on attending SkateLondon this August, just attend, not compete.
How long skating & slaloming: Put on skates in '92 and havnt really taken them off since... been doing slalom for roughly 3 years now.
Other info: Main reason for doing slalom is that all others disciplines are quite "locked" and boring im comparison to slalom, at least from my viewpoint

I work for SkatePro where im a gearhead and fixer of all problems that are truly odd. Also responsible for talking like a waterfall if the customer wants to get technical.

Last edited by Dean_R; May 29th, 2010 at 10:33 AM. Reason: It would appear that I cant type -.-
Dean_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #25
Naomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_R View Post
fixer of all problems that are truly odd. Also responsible for talking like a waterfall if the customer wants to get technical.
Dream job...

I'll see you in SkateLondon!
Old June 17th, 2010, 05:55 AM   #26
Jaymz

Name: Jim

Equipment for slalom: New Powerslide FSK's.

Favourite slalom trick: Backwards criss cross.

Events?: BAR, Philly Freeskate, DC Skate. New to slolom.

How long skating & slaloming: Skating = inline - 25 years, slalom - 0 years.

Other info: Ice skating since 5. Quad and ice hockey in my teens, Rollerblading since '85. Mostly fitness skating and jump tricks. Bought my first pair of RB's in '85 when NO ONE here knew what they were. Before long, everyone had a pair. What happened to those days?
Skated RB Tarmacs though the 90's jumping on and off the boardwalk or anything else I could find.
Went about 10 years without skating much and bought a pair of Bont Semirace skates last year for fitness and attended BAR '09, DC skate '10, and Philly Free Skate '10 this weekend. And having a blast.
The Bonts are fast and comfy once they broke in, but I missed the agility and response of the Tarmac's so I blew the dust off a few weeks ago and after a few soft jumps, I broke a strap. So I figured time for a new pair. I also found out I can't jump like I used to. ;(
Did'nt want to spend a fortune, so I decided on the Powerslide FSK's from Inline Warehouse. Was looking for another aspect of skating, and slalom seems to fit the bill. I like the fact that you can practice at home in the driveway.
I wear a US 10.5 shoe/boot/sneaker, and read to go a little smaller with a slalom skate...so I ordered 10's. I've worn them in the house on the carpet a few times and they are TIGHT. The left is bearable, but the right I'm not so sure.....NO room and alot of presure on the sides of my foot. Is this normal when new? Will they loosen a little after break-in? Or should I exchange them for a 10.5? Thanks
Jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 10:02 PM   #27
Dean_R

Heya Jim

as for the FSK, they wont give, the outer plastic cross on your ankle is most likely the culprit for the "pain" you feel

so exchange them would be my best advice
Old June 18th, 2010, 07:25 PM   #28
Just4c

Name: Mihai

Equipment for slalom: Seba FR 1, wheels 80mm/85A, bearings ILQ-9, blade 243mm

Favourite slalom trick: Backwards criss cross (recently learned)

Events?: none

How long skating & slaloming: Skating - 6 months - Slaloming: 9 days

Well i just recently discovered inline skating (last year in october) so i bought myself a pair of fitness Rollerblade training ABT Lite, with 82mm / 85A wheels and SG-7. At that time i knew so little about skating that i didn't even knew what kind of skates i'm buying, all i knew was that i wanna skate..which i did for a while then i was forced to stop till may this year when after a few days of skating i realized that my skates are not matching to what i wanna do so i start reading on the internet and i end up with this Seba FR 1 which are great and i really love them.
I just wanna mention that i'm almost 32 years old and i really feel sorry for my self about all these years i lost without skating. Man, i can tell i'm addicted to skating, specially freestyle.
My question is this: at this age can i still learn some slaloming and jumps or i should just normal skate and stop killing my legs??
Just4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 04:53 PM   #29
GregT

Well, I'm in my 40s, so, yes, you can still learn slalom.

Freestyle slalom is all about learning the proper techniques and foundation moves. Watching videos are great, though taking a class might accelerate your learning curve and help style-up your skating. If you don't know any freestyle instructors in your area, you could see if Naomi Grigg has a workshop near where you live (www.skatefreestyle.com).

Also, there are lots of tips, videos, and discusions on the great US Freestyle Skating Association (USFSA) Forum:

http://www.freestyleskaters.org

(click on Forum link at upper right corner of page).

Good luck with it, old man.
GregT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 05:01 PM   #30
Rink Rat
Rhythm Skater

You're much too old for slalom. Whoever sold you those skates should be arrested. Return the skates immediately!
Rink Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 06:25 PM   #31
GregT

Yeah! I'm w/ Rink Rat on this one. Old people shouldn't be allowed to skate!
Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:00 PM   #32
Just4c

Well then, i think i'll ask some other opinions on that if u don't mind guys... Just like with the doctors, is better to have a second opinion to be sure u're told the right thing.
Thanks sites and info GregT
Old June 23rd, 2010, 04:54 PM   #33
Dean_R

Just4c /

Im "just" 30 but i still spend roughly 3½ hours a day on skates and most days quite a bit more... but you will offcourse need training and endurance with what you are doing, because

A: its gonna hurt,
B: then its gonna hurt some more
C: then you get numb to it, so it wont matter,
D: Happy days
Old June 23rd, 2010, 08:14 PM   #34
Just4c

Sounds good to me. Let the pain come...seems that i have alot of time to deal with!

Old July 13th, 2010, 03:42 AM   #35
Skate50

Default San Jose, CA Slalom Skater

Name: Dennis Ratcliffe
Equipment for slalom: RB Twisters 243, SEBA High
Favorite slalom trick: Lazy Volte- Freeze
Events?: Yes. BattleUS 2008 in Seattle, BattleUS 2010 in San Francisco
How long skating & slaloming: Steadily since 2006.
Other: I have found the best practice surface in the area.
Skate50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 04:40 AM   #36
GregT

Hey Dennis. Nice meeting you at BattleUS this year!
Old July 16th, 2010, 03:46 AM   #37
Skate50

Greg, It was nice to meet you too. I noticed that you were practicing and running drills the whole time the rest of us were just standing around…. You are committed!

At Battle I did not make the best showing. (FedEx beat me fair-and-square.) I was hoping to make it to the finals, but I was still recovering from a broken leg. I broke it two days before Christmas - skating of-course, and could not walk until April. Two surgeries later, I am just now beginning to practice again.

I had a good time at Battle anyway, and I hope I will see you next time.

- Skate50
Old July 21st, 2010, 05:56 AM   #38
GregT

Oh, I was only practicing so much because I really needed to. As was readily apparent from my skating in the comp.

Well, I'm glad you were able to heal up enough to compete. And I'm looking forward to see again at BattleUS next year, if not before. Be sure to make it over to some of East coast comps, if you can.
Old July 25th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #39
Naomi

Hey Dennis, cool to see you on here - Greg was only practising so hard so that he didn't have to actually speak to people incase he realised he was at a comp.
Old July 26th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #40
Skate50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi View Post
Hey Dennis, cool to see you on here - Greg was only practising so hard so that he didn't have to actually speak to people incase he realised he was at a comp.
Somehow, I totally understand that!