S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old October 3rd, 2006, 05:11 AM   #21
b3eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeLLy View Post
Anyone living near Bruges wanna give me some lessons?
if you happen to be in NYC i'll give you a free lesson
b3eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 10:27 AM   #22
Spins

Default Stopping

Quote:
This forum helped me by understanding the techinque of braking tho. Performing it is a different thing... i find the balance very difficult. - I just tend to put my feet in a 90C angle and make a turn that way or grab something ^^ or just naturaly slow down.
I bought two of my kids speed skates but they came with a kind of "toe stop" on the heel of one skate. Interesting--must be a "heel stop".

Gary
o-o (or for you) o-o-o-o

Last edited by Spins; October 11th, 2006 at 10:53 AM.
Spins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 10:53 AM   #23
YVONNE

Cool ITS the beast thing ever

hey u wanna know what myu sk8ing experinces are well 1 off i LOVE!!!! sk8ing its a BIG! part of my life . One thing that made me take up sk8ing was anger and i have a lot of that lol so dont know why but sk8ing makes me forget about things like how **** life can be and a well dont know what i would do with out it i love it ma most prized possesion the the world has to ma babys razors murda 3 ahhha love them sooo much heheh . love vonnie xxxxxxxxx
YVONNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 04:01 PM   #24
Spins

Yes, I'm wondering what this means. No, I'm not sure I want to know. Sounds interesting so I'm tempted.

Gary
o-o

Old October 9th, 2006, 07:02 PM   #25
Greeny

Cool I SUCK!!!

I can't even do a shuv-it! But I keep up skating because I know one day I'll finally land a kickflip.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 05:25 AM   #26
Ophidias

when i was just learning to skate, i skate every single day for about a week, about 2 hrs a day.

for people that are learning to skate, i feel that its important that u skate everyday( as far as possible) until u are quite comfortable on ur skates.

The reason i think that way its because your body is learning how to balance itself on the skates rather then ur feet. The more often you skate as you are learning, the faster your body will adapt to it, rather then your body "forgetting" how to balance as more days pass since your last skating session.

Hope this will help out those that are just starting out
Ophidias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 10:20 AM   #27
Spins

Default Balance

Ophidias,

"The reason i think that way its because your body is learning how to balance itself on the skates rather then ur feet."

The only time I've ever tried to do inlines it seemed that I had two extreme edges which is flopping to the inside or out. Very unsettling.

Wrong skates for me or wrong size? I never understood how to keep them upright.

Gary
o-o

Old October 10th, 2006, 02:57 PM   #28
KeLLy

and your laughing bout my brake problem? Meh.

there's a trick on the forum to learn to balance your wheels straight.... if i find it, i'll edit my post.

You skate on rollerblades then? It's just a matter of getting used to inlines. Main thing is that your ankles are straped in good.
KeLLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 11:13 PM   #29
Spins

Default o-o-o-o

Kelly,

I tried rollerblades once but the weight distribution over the top of the row of inline wheels was very unsettling and hard to get use to having. Whatever was going on with the skates it was different than ice skating.

This does make me wonder if an inline skater can become a quad skater so easily. Could we be a different species?

Gary
o-o

Last edited by Spins; October 13th, 2006 at 12:02 AM.
Old October 16th, 2006, 01:15 PM   #30
KeLLy

haha

different sexes, dunno bout speices.

I used to do pretty good on my quads actually, (none of the leet tricks tho), i had them as a child (10-12 years old).

I find ice skating so much easier then inline outdoor skates. At least with ice skating i could hold on to the edge of the rink and watch other people + ask advice. i have both figure skates as hockey skates. To bad ice skating is only indoors in winters . Unfortunatly outdoor inline skating isn't that popular in Belgium (Europe).

But quads are totaly out of fashion here, where as inlines are considered "cool" so i picked inlines (how hard can it be, right? ^^ ).

As far as my progress goes after 3 months of inline skating... only thing that improved is my balance and my overall condition.
KeLLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 07:57 PM   #31
Adam_Green

Hey all, first post!

I joined these forums because it seems like a friendly place, plus im starting skating soon

Well yeah, i just ordered my skates (about an hour ago) from the internet, Roces Street.. i was told they would be good for me since i used to skate frequently (but got out of it a while ago and went to skateboards.... i prefer inlines)

Well, ive been reading and some of the tips are helpful, as im sure ill be very rusty when i start again when my skates come, but i will let you all know how i got on!

I already know of a few places / parks around, and i also know one or two people who already skate, so i will tag with them for a while untill i get to know the hotspots, then i will go skate on my own im sure
Adam_Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #32
Spins

Quote:
haha

different sexes, dunno bout speices.

I used to do pretty good on my quads actually, (none of the leet tricks tho), i had them as a child (10-12 years old).

I find ice skating so much easier then inline outdoor skates. At least with ice skating i could hold on to the edge of the rink and watch other people + ask advice. i have both figure skates as hockey skates. To bad ice skating is only indoors in winters . Unfortunatly outdoor inline skating isn't that popular in Belgium (Europe).

But quads are totaly out of fashion here, where as inlines are considered "cool" so i picked inlines (how hard can it be, right? ^^ ).

As far as my progress goes after 3 months of inline skating... only thing that improved is my balance and my overall condition.
If a squirrel on one side of the Grand Canyon has a different tail than one on the other then it is considered a different species. So anyone that can hop like no other squirrel and land your paws while staying upright it has me wondering.

Glad to hear you have some new skates on order. These things only happen a few times in life--well, for me anyway.

Gary
o-o

Old October 20th, 2006, 02:23 PM   #33
Ophidias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spins View Post
Ophidias,

"The reason i think that way its because your body is learning how to balance itself on the skates rather then ur feet."

The only time I've ever tried to do inlines it seemed that I had two extreme edges which is flopping to the inside or out. Very unsettling.

Wrong skates for me or wrong size? I never understood how to keep them upright.

Gary
o-o

sounds like you don have much support from the skates. is ur cuff properly tightened up? is there a big gap between the cuff and ur leg?

a very common problem i see with people just starting to learn how to skate, is that they never tighten their skates properly, causing their feet to pronate quite extremely. so while standing, their skates look like / \ instead of | |
Ophidias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 03:13 PM   #34
jlerp

Key for me at first was lowering my expectations for rate of progress. When I started, I was really overweight and totally out of shape. Running was out of the question and walking took too long to burn a decent amount of calories. Skating was easy on my joints and a quick calorie burn.

Once I'd gone through the hassle of driving to the trail and putting on the skates & gear, I wanted to stay out there and skate for a while but I couldn't. So, I took a baby steps approach...the trail is 1 mile out and back. At first, I could just do it once & then my feet & legs got sore & tired so I would walk for 2 laps. I kept at it, pretty soon I was skating 3 laps and only walking 1. Then I ventured past my little 1 mile trail out further and further. Earlier this week, I did 19 miles that started and ended with that same little 1 mile trail I began on in the Spring. I'm not graceful and I'm still heavy (but 30 lbs lighter now)...persistence has paid off.
jlerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 09:16 PM   #35
NightWind

Quote:
haha

Not only in Belgum! I've never seen any quad skater in Moscow!
Old October 21st, 2006, 06:53 PM   #36
badnews

Okay. I felt out of place and ostracized from the group. My life revolves around being part of the "clique." Not so much, mind you, that I'm willing to go out and buy a skate boot that costs "$4,000," but what the hey? I thought I'd give it a try. So here I am in Big 5 minding my own friggin' business looking for an extra, extra, extra large jock strap and what do I see? A POS Nike NDorfin Elites inlines staring me right in the face. Now, I knew that just the admission of purchasing something out-of-line inline was going to subject me to violent verbal abuse by many of you where price is no object and "If it ain't Bont, it ain't worth the font" or whatever, but still, they were marked down over a hundred bucks. What could I do? Right? What would YOU do?

I try them on at the store. Like a glove!! Sold, man. Plus did I mention they're pretty? Well, they SHOULD be pretty because when I got them home and put on my glasses, my testicles went up into my throat when I saw the "W" on the box and in fine print "woman's." They should be pretty. They're women's skates!! So, now I'm faced with the possibility that either I am gay, effeminate or Nike just makes boots for unisexuals in this metrosexual world.

So, I brought them back and exchanged them for a Manly Man Beating My Chest pair and to tell you the truth, I don't feel any difference in the size.

That's all I wanted to share with you for now.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 07:07 PM   #37
lkatz

Default teaching old "Katz" new tricks

I'm 66 I decided to take up quad skating outdoors before I tried to "graduate"
to inline skates. A few months ago I bought a Trike which I became proficient at so I wanted to try skating outdoors as well.

I had an old pair of quads and had outdoor wheels installed. Went to a a local roller rink to practice and took a lesson. It's been a long time since I've skated and didn't remember how much effort I needed to put into it. I attended an adult skate one morning and I was the youngest one there! Many skaters were in their 80's! They cruised around me and didn't seem break a sweat while I was sopping wet! (and sore)

Yesterday I tried skating outside and very glad I got pads, particularly wrist guards. They really absorb the fall. It took me a while to overcome the fear of pavement changes, cracks, patches, etc. and not having anything to hold on to or roll into to stop. But, I did get skating and managed to go up on down some small hills, etc. Next week I;m going to the west coast of Fla. where the streest are very smooth and hope to hone my skills.

The Trike has been very good exercise and really builds up your legs and rythym with out beating you up...to learn more go to:
www.trikketampa.com/trikke/lkatz

Lots of good helpful tips and information on the forum,,,,keep it up.
lkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 07:39 PM   #38
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

badnews, I had a pair Nike NDorfin inline skates when they first came out, but I never had a chance to try them out because they were a little too large for my feet, and Nike didn't make a smaller pair. One interesting thing I remember about those skates is they had that heel cushion thing built in that Nike puts in some of their athletic shoes. I would say if those skates fit well and feel comfortable on your feet they will be fine for recreational and fitness skating, especially considering that you got them for such a great price. I wish I could have tried out those skates out myself.

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 08:20 PM   #39
badnews

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieFry View Post
badnews, I had a pair Nike NDorfin inline skates when they first came out, but I never had a chance to try them out because they were a little too large for my feet, and Nike didn't make a smaller pair. One interesting thing I remember about those skates is they had that heel cushion thing built in that Nike puts in some of their athletic shoes. I would say if those skates fit well and feel comfortable on your feet they will be fine for recreational and fitness skating, especially considering that you got them for such a great price. I wish I could have tried out those skates out myself.

- Kathie
Hey.

I'm one of those guys that will MAKE a boot or shoe fit me, well, except of course if it's too large then I'm hosed. I can literally go to any shoe/boot store pick up a 9 without trying them on and I'm convinced when I get home that the sucker will fit like a glove or eventually will. Must be my history of breaking in Boondockers I guess.

The heel cushion for the Nike's they call an "air cushion." I'm unclear as to what it's purpose is except maybe advertising hype? I was pressing on the bottom of the boot to see if it would "give way," but I didn't notice any measurable effect.

Anyways, I'm sure I didn't need them but the HUGE discount (clearance I suppose) was just too good to pass up.
Old October 26th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #40
Gerhardt
SK8'N Farmer

Exclamation Naner Niner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badnews View Post
Hey.

I'm one of those guys that will MAKE a boot or shoe fit me, well, except of course if it's too large then I'm hosed. I can literally go to any shoe/boot store pick up a 9 without trying them on and I'm convinced when I get home that the sucker will fit like a glove or eventually will. Must be my history of breaking in Boondockers I guess.

The heel cushion for the Nike's they call an "air cushion." I'm unclear as to what it's purpose is except maybe advertising hype? I was pressing on the bottom of the boot to see if it would "give way," but I didn't notice any measurable effect.

Anyways, I'm sure I didn't need them but the HUGE discount (clearance I suppose) was just too good to pass up.
A size 9

Well, you know what they say about small feet ROTFLMMFAO!
Gerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote