S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old March 1st, 2017, 09:40 AM   #1
Entropy
Disorderly member

Lightbulb Starting on inlines - wheel choice

Hello, I have a pair of Seba Trix 90 inlines on the way, but have a quick question regarding wheel size. I'm switching from quads to inlines for the purpose of long crosstraining sessions, and know I'll need to learn how to stop safely as well as just generally get used to inlines, since they'll be very different beasts to what I have been skating.

They'll come with 90mm wheels of course, but I am pondering whether it's worth grabbing an 84mm set for practising on until I feel more confident? My thoughts are that they'll be slower and easier to turn than a larger wheel, so could help me to learn powerslides and to generally pick up my game. I know the difference won't be much, but would it still help a little, or just not really be worth trying?

Also, whilst I'm here, any wheel recommendations? I suspect that the more suitable durometer ratings for various conditions & surfaces are different for inlines than they are for quads, so would appreciate any thoughts. I'm a light-framed light-weight female and know this often affected the type of wheels I'd buy for my quads..
Old March 1st, 2017, 02:33 PM   #2
TimeZone3

I wouldn't bother. The Trix2 boots are high enough and supportive enough that you probably won't feel much difference between 84mm height and 90mm height. In general, the higher and more supportive the boot, the less you'll notice wheel size differences.

If your Trix2 90 are like mine, they probably came with 90mm/82A wheels. I found these wheels to be very slow, and to wear fast. Probably good for a beginner, but I ditched them quickly. They will probably be difficult to powerslide with, though, due to the low durometer. I prefer something more around 85A/86A for purposes of speed and not having to rotate the wheels so danged often. I will admit the 82A wheels were more forgiving of surface imperfections though. And you may not have as much of a problem with them as I did - I've got probably 50kg on you.

In short, I'd suggest just sticking with the 90mm/82A wheels that come with it for a while, just to get used to the skates, then grab some 90mm/85A wheels when those are worn out (or if you're tired of the low speed). These will probably be easier to powerslide, too.

TZ
TimeZone3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 08:41 PM   #3
Entropy
Disorderly member

Thanks a ton, TZ! I had figured the low durometer would make the sliding difficult, but I can get used to T-stops on these wheels at least and happily wear them down. Great to know there's not much difference in how those diameters will feel, I can stop pondering this now and just research decent 90mm wheels!
Old March 6th, 2017, 06:26 PM   #4
Trixton

Check out the Undercover wheels by Matter, they make a great inline wheel for indoor/outdoor skating, the 90mm is styled with a chameleon

http://www.undercover-wheels.com/

Or there's the iconic Rollerblade Hydrogen 90mm

Big wheels are fun, I skate the 100mm version of both of these on my Wizard frame ;]
Trixton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 04:44 PM   #5
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Switch from T Stops to Spin Stops/Plow Stops

Hi You already got a great first answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Thanks a ton, TZ! I had figured the low durometer would make the sliding difficult, but I can get used to T-stops on these wheels at least and happily wear them down. Great to know there's not much difference in how those diameters will feel, I can stop pondering this now and just research decent 90mm wheels!
Try to stay away from T Stops on InLines and use other stops and slow down techniques. Hockey and Power Slide are kind of advanced.

T's mean you will continually have to rotate your wheels since it will wear down the one edge of only the one skate. A Plow and a Spin, or a Swizzle(forget the name for a solam type) and then Spin stop will do better.

I did use the T sometimes, yet by then I was going slow.

Yours in Skating,