S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old March 19th, 2016, 12:00 AM   #1
rssole

Default Seba iGoR vs Trix vs ???

Hi everyone (I am posting this question in this sub-forum because, here, I 've found
similar question asked).
Well, without too much yada yada, here is what
lead me to join this forum (others will follow later ).

So far I was skating on many different skates but right now I am
wearing out second pair of Rollerblade Twisters. Those served me perfectly
and I learned a lot on them as well as couple of tricks. I am not pro and I am not
willing to compete but I am aiming to skate like one and to learn harder tricks.
Long story short: I am looking for a new pair of "more serious" skates.

Now, by googling an checking out forums like this one, I came up to Seba
skates and at first sight I like them but I am not really aware of all characteristics
which would lead me to choice. But I do know what I need:

1. As those are expensive (but good quality comes with price),
I'd like to get model which could last for couple of seasons. I am aware they can't last forever,
but I am not really willing to buy them this season and then to have to consider replacement at the end of the next one.
I skate quite often so I'd probably need stiffer one.

2. Somewhat confronting with previous, I'd also like something light as the primary
downside of my twisters is their weight (but on the other side they are rock solid).
So balance between stiffness/weight is important.

3. Purpose: learning and practicing tricks, then trying out slalom, then fitness skating

As far as I could understand, those are coming with integrated or replaceable liner,
but I'd go with integrated as it leads to better control.

That was long I know, I hope someone will have enough patience to read and help me
choosing.

Thanks in advance
rssole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2016, 06:32 AM   #2
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Better than twisters but not elite level would be a seba high. A hard to break in skate with good reviews and apparentoy exceptional durability.

The standard frames used to be flat on that skate. May be the "deluxe" rockered frames as stock now.

Do you rocker your frames with 76/80/80/76?
Old March 20th, 2016, 03:07 PM   #3
rssole

Well, so far I haven't but that is the plan
once I get appropriate skates.
First get familiar with them, then
start gradually with more advanced tricks
what eventually would involve rockering.

Thanks for your tip, I'll take a look at Highs
as well...seems like solid next step before
hard core pro stuff like iGoR and twisters.
Old March 21st, 2016, 09:57 AM   #4
rssole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Better than twisters but not elite level would be a seba high. A hard to break in skate with good reviews and apparentoy exceptional durability.

The standard frames used to be flat on that skate. May be the "deluxe" rockered frames as stock now.

Do you rocker your frames with 76/80/80/76?
Ahaaa! Thanks for the hint! By looking at High I found High Light variant which is exactly what I was looking for!
Old March 21st, 2016, 10:13 AM   #5
kev0

The jump between Twisters/FR's to Highs (even High Lights) are quite marginal in my opinion. If you are planning to upgrade the Twisters, I'd say go straight for the carbon boots, otherwise I'd stick with the Twisters for a while longer.

The Trix/KSJ's are the lighter of the two. The Trix/KSJ's has a special cuff design which gives it quite a lot of freedom bending forwards and backwards, which is both a selling point and a deterrent for individual skaters. The iGors are a pair of extremely solid and stiff boots, with much less flexibility around the ankle area.

If you are also impartial to brands, the Powerslide flagship boot, HC Evo are a pair of carbon boots, with weights comparable to the KSJ/Trix. It tends to have a much lower price point than Seba equivalents but the savings depend on where you are from. The HC Evo does not quite look as nice in my opinion and has a normal plastic cuff, however it is still a top quality product and also used by current competitors in slalom.

If you haven't rockered your skates yet - I'd recommend you get to it ASAP. Tricks are much easier to learn on rocker and you'd find the extra maneuverability super useful for your old tricks as well

EDIT: I'm editing to say that it's not a bad idea to jump into an intermediate skate between liner skates and carbon boots. If you are happy with the skates then there is no reason to stop you!
kev0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2016, 04:39 PM   #6
rssole

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev0 View Post
The jump between Twisters/FR's to Highs (even High Lights) are quite marginal in my opinion. If you are planning to upgrade the Twisters, I'd say go straight for the carbon boots, otherwise I'd stick with the Twisters for a while longer.

The Trix/KSJ's are the lighter of the two. The Trix/KSJ's has a special cuff design which gives it quite a lot of freedom bending forwards and backwards, which is both a selling point and a deterrent for individual skaters. The iGors are a pair of extremely solid and stiff boots, with much less flexibility around the ankle area.

If you are also impartial to brands, the Powerslide flagship boot, HC Evo are a pair of carbon boots, with weights comparable to the KSJ/Trix. It tends to have a much lower price point than Seba equivalents but the savings depend on where you are from. The HC Evo does not quite look as nice in my opinion and has a normal plastic cuff, however it is still a top quality product and also used by current competitors in slalom.

If you haven't rockered your skates yet - I'd recommend you get to it ASAP. Tricks are much easier to learn on rocker and you'd find the extra maneuverability super useful for your old tricks as well

EDIT: I'm editing to say that it's not a bad idea to jump into an intermediate skate between liner skates and carbon boots. If you are happy with the skates then there is no reason to stop you!
Ok, I got your point, then how about High Light Carbons? Those are still significantly cheaper than iGoR but in turn should be quite lighter than twisters/trix? I am not concerned about brands at all, it is just matter of like you said where I live and what options I have to obtain something.
Currently both Powerslide and Seba (here mentioned models of both) require the same effort for me to obtain.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 01:36 AM   #7
kev0

It appears that the weight savings between Trix/WFSC/KSJs (they are all essentially the same boot with minute differences) and the High Light Carbons is only 60 grams for 2 boots.

If you are after the lightest boot, then Hardcore Evo, Trix, WFSC, KSJ or HLC's should all be your best bet (in no particular order).

The advantages of the igor lies in it's stiffness and rigidity, which is preferable for some in doing more technical tricks. I emphasise that this does not necessarily mean igors are better - as others can prefer the flexibility offered by other skates.

You should note that since the High Light Carbons are a relatively new boot, there may not be that many reviews on the skate itself and its potential problems would be more difficult to locate.
kev0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 02:27 AM   #8
jetmarc

Hi rssole,

nice to hear that you want to do more slalom skating. I do slalom for recreation and prefer stylish execution over trick count any day.

My comments on TRIX, KSJ, and IGOR:

The TRIX (2014) was my first serious skate. After about 10 months, the inner lining started to wear out (in the heel/ankle area). I used to be careful while putting the skates on, because the same thing has already happened to a friend (with IGOR). That didn't avoid it though. Later I learned that it happens to all my slalom friends. Skates wear, just like cothes wear. Don't expect to get more than one year free of trouble (unless you do just occasional skating).

After getting my liners patched, I was disappointed with the result and realized that it was time for new skates. A perfect opportunity to find the best and most exciting skates, improving on everything, opening a new world, just like what the TRIX did for me when I got them first! So I checked reviews on internet and tested skates from friends.

My highest hopes were on the IGOR, but trying them on was very disappointing. I expected firm support, but the opposite was true. At least on my feet, the IGOR has a looser fit than the TRIX, especially when it comes to lateral support. The stiffness of the IGOR boot does not permit lacing as tight as I want to. It is heavier than the TRIX is (bcs of the wider footbed, slide protectors, heelpad, cuff, larger frame mating plate). Also, the IGOR liners tend to wear out in a similar way like my TRIX. For me the IGOR is all disadvantages, except for the heel pad maybe.

After two weeks of researching and testing, I realized that the best skate for me was actually the TRIX that I already had. So I bought another pair of them, and this time I customized the flat stock frame for a deluxe rockered. I couldn't have been happier with my new skates!!!

Another 6 months later I saw the promo video of the KSJ 2015 edition. I had already tried the WFSC before, and the 2015 editions were said to have an improved liner design. Again I thought that these shiny new skates will add extra fun to my favourite hobby, and ordered them without doing any further research. Again, frame and wheels needed to be switched for better ones.

It was an impulse decision. I don't regret it, but it didn't turn out stellar either. Several months in, I still prefer skating with the TRIX.

KSJ and TRIX are very similar. The KSJ is supposed to weight 40 gramms less (I didnt verify that). My TRIX come in at 1540 gramms each, incl frame and worn wheels and street dirt on them. Both are definately among the lightest skates ever made. Putting the KSJ on is more difficult, because the liner has a rougher finish and my socks keep sticking to it. The stiffness of the boot is identical from toe to heel and up to the ankles. Above the ankle, the TRIX is more flexible than the KSJ. The stiff border at the top of KSJ causes injuries to my legs while fitness skating (but not while doing slalom). In general, the KSJ cause pain while the TRIX do not.

I like the extra flexibility of the upper parts of the TRIX. It helps tight lacing and makes the skate fit my foot like a glove. During the first 90 minutes of slalom, I can't feel any significant advantage of either skate. The handling is very similar. During longer sessions, I wish for less flexibility in the upper area of the TRIX. It feels like if the composite materials become a bit more bland after constantly massaging them with slalom bending forces.

On the other hand, the KSJ begin to hurt after an hour, so I rarely keep them on for longer than 2 hours. The extra stiffness is appreciated during some moves, but comes at a price that negates most of its benefits.

All in all, the KSJ can't trump the TRIX for me. My next skate will be a TRIX 2014 again. I can only hope that there is still stock available when my 2nd pair eventually wears out..

My advice for you is:

If your Twisters still are in a somewhat acceptable shape, follow the suggestion given by other posters and rocker them. It makes so much of a difference! Get 4 new wheels and pair them with your 4 most worn out ones. It will feel like completely different skates, all without the pain of a new boot.

Good wheels are Matter Juice F1 80mm. You can complete them with another set of 76mm later, if you decide to keep your old skates. Or you can use them as spare for whatever new skate you will buy.

Before you buy any skates, try them on, and try them skating (borrow them from a friend). A more expensive skate is not necessarily better for you. In the end it depends on your anatomy and skating style.

Rockered setup, quality components (stiff frame, bearings, wheels) and light-weight boots that fit your feet well. This is what you have to look for. The rest is just marketing, hearsay or following what others do.

Skating, and especially slalom, is a very individual sport. Videos, instructors, and friends can help you pick up stuff faster, but in the end you are the one who has to figure out the dynamics of each trick. Much of that works through repetition and self observation. And it comes with a psychological component attached to it. If you believe that modifying your old skates is not good enough for slalom, they will not work for you.

Luckily, the opposite is also true.

Best regards,
Marc
jetmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 10:59 PM   #9
ipixu78

Default Igor Carbon Cuff on Trix/KSJ

I have read in a couple of places that the Trix Y cuff can be swapped for the Carbon cuff provided on the Igor boot. Is this true? I imagine the Trix would need a pair of cuff nuts installed for this to be possible as the mounting points for the y cuffs are completely different.

I have a pair of The cheaper Trix2 skates and the Carbon cuffs are definitely not compatible.

Being able to choose and change the type of support would be a great option if this is the case with the Trix and KSV skates.
ipixu78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seba skates choice