S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old April 5th, 2017, 03:53 AM   #1
panch0

Default Problems with Custom boots

Have any of you with custom boots experienced problems with your boots not fitting well or having a spot that gives you problems?

I wonder how often this happens. Were you able to solve the problem? Was your bootmaker good in helping you solve the problem?
Old April 5th, 2017, 05:34 AM   #2
ese002

It happens a lot. I would even guess that it happens more often than not. Fortunately, the shape should be close so the necessary heat moulding should be minor. I heated up my Wolf boots so I could get enough room to get my foot the bottom. That was an easy fix. On the Pinnacles, I brought in the heels and pushed out the toes. That was not so easy.
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 11:33 AM   #3
panch0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ese002 View Post
It happens a lot. I would even guess that it happens more often than not. .
Interesting! That's why I posted the question. Sort of want to hear from others.

With my Pinnacles, they fit very well and didn't get a blister in 10 years.
With my new Simmons, they fit amazingly well except for my left heel... it has a spot that is absolutely killing me! I can't work out the heat molding in that area... I've worked it out very well but still get blistered every time I skate fast.
Old April 5th, 2017, 01:45 PM   #4
kufman

Trying to fix a spot on Simmons boots takes a lot of time and patience. They are not built to be heat moldable so it takes a ton of heat almost to the point of melting the boot to make it soft. Just take your time and heat it very slowly and you should be find. Use something like the handle of a screw driver to push out the spot from the inside of the boot.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 02:43 PM   #5
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Hoping the boots that David is dropping in the mail today don't give me issues, since the 11 year old pair that I have fit me like foot gloves.

Having said that, My older boots occasionally needed some adjustment when I gained some weight. I always found the oven method on its lowest temperature to work very well.

Edit, these should be coming my way by EOB today:

Last edited by chuckboucher; April 5th, 2017 at 04:12 PM.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 09:37 PM   #6
panch0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
Trying to fix a spot on Simmons boots takes a lot of time and patience. They are not built to be heat moldable so it takes a ton of heat almost to the point of melting the boot to make it soft. Just take your time and heat it very slowly and you should be find. Use something like the handle of a screw driver to push out the spot from the inside of the boot.

David Simmons has been very helpful through the process... he's made me a couple of "tutorial videos" on how to fix the spot but so far I have not been able to do it. In the videos he's made me, he recommends heating up a C clamp and clamp it to the problem spot. So far I've worked the area well but I still get the blister when I skate fast. Once I go to 25-26 mph and I'm pushing more aggressively, my feet are getting a lot more friction inside the boot. When I cruise even up to 21 mph it's no problems and I don't get a blister.

It's been a funky thing because when I put the boots on, they feel fine; I don't feel like there is a problem with that spot. It's actually quite comfortable. However, I fear that as I have gotten some friction over the last 5 months, my heel bone might be deforming a little because of the friction. Idk... sort of feels that way.

In anyway... I live in Miami so I'm driving up to David's next week for him to work on the boot if I can't make it happen in the next few days.

Can't hide that I'm a little bummed to spend big bucks and have this problem with a boot. But I'm sure we will find a solution because David it's just that kind of guy that will help until the problem is fixed. Can't wait because right now it's killing me!
Old April 5th, 2017, 09:40 PM   #7
panch0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
Hoping the boots that David is dropping in the mail today don't give me issues, since the 11 year old pair that I have fit me like foot gloves.

Having said that, My older boots occasionally needed some adjustment when I gained some weight. I always found the oven method on its lowest temperature to work very well.

Edit, these should be coming my way by EOB today:
Chuck, I saw your boots this morning on David's Facebook. Really good looking boots and yes, the red tongue is great. That's one more thing David has... a great sense of design when it comes to putting boots together!
Old April 5th, 2017, 09:48 PM   #8
panch0

Default My Simmons (born September 2016)

This is my set up. Man, I love my boots and can't wait to resolve the problem spot!
imagen jpg
Old April 6th, 2017, 01:11 AM   #9
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by panch0 View Post
This is my set up. Man, I love my boots and can't wait to resolve the problem spot!
Wow, sexy looking setup there. Your's too Chuck.
Old April 6th, 2017, 12:12 PM   #10
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Chuck, I saw your boots this morning on David's Facebook. Really good looking boots and yes, the red tongue is great. That's one more thing David has... a great sense of design when it comes to putting boots together!
I was actually the one who wanted the red tongue.
Quote:
This is exactly what I plan on using for outdoor training. I have a set of the EO carbon already in 13.2" that I tried indoor and didn't like where they sat. Too much wheel in back. They weren't centered.
Old April 7th, 2017, 01:20 AM   #11
panch0

Quote:
I was actually the one who wanted the red tongue.This is exactly what I plan on using for outdoor training. I have a set of the EO carbon already in 13.2" that I tried indoor and didn't like where they sat. Too much wheel in back. They weren't centered.
My frame is 13.0 and my foot size is about 10... pretty centered. I wish I had gone for the 13.2 but I had planned to go more often to the banked track since we don't have indoor skating in Miami (if you can believe that $h1t!) and thought the 13.0 was a good compromise for the 95% road skating I do and the 5% track plans I had (that have not happened!). I think your 13.2 will be great outside.

ANYWAY... Today I skated 20 miles and my heel wasn't bad at all. 2 days ago I heat molded the problem spot very aggressively and I think it worked well.
Old April 7th, 2017, 11:52 AM   #12
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

I have always added a small neoprene pad (like one of those 2" coasters) on top of my foot when I skate outdoor to eliminate heel lift. It's worked really well and they're comfortable.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/NCAA-Alabama-...TB1XBAQ4B&th=1

If I remember correctly though, you don't wear socks. I do, so the coasters stay in place under the socks.

BTW, I do have the 13.2" EO carbon frame that didn't work well on my 165mm mount Simmons custom. There was too much wheel out back. I prefer a little more front wheel. I'm hoping the new 195mm mount will be better.
Old April 10th, 2017, 06:53 PM   #13
reely?
2016 US National Champion

Quote:
Interesting! That's why I posted the question. Sort of want to hear from others.

With my Pinnacles, they fit very well and didn't get a blister in 10 years.
With my new Simmons, they fit amazingly well except for my left heel... it has a spot that is absolutely killing me! I can't work out the heat molding in that area... I've worked it out very well but still get blistered every time I skate fast.
Short story long, i skated stock Simmons for 20 yrs with very few issues. That said was in the market to buy a custom but didn't go with Dave because of the lead time and... did not want my feet to look like coliflower like most of the custom wearers feet.

So i went with a custom Edgetek Warp in Jan 16'. Other than a few small blisters at first, my feet love them. And... i skate with no socks/ average 10-15hrs a week both road and indoor.

Imo most of the people that have issues with there customs are due to poor skating form and poor skate posture, I'm sure all of the American shoe makers would agree with that.

So in breaking my customs in... I skated with nylon cycling socks for the first month, after that no socks, no problems.

Spring, TX.
reely? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2017, 06:58 PM   #14
reely?

Sorry, i hit send before finished. Brad advised me not to try any type of molding until after break in period to give your foot the chance to settle in properly.

Maybe Jimmy B will chime in to help.

Fyi, im not saying anyone on this thread has bad form lol...

Thanks, d.

Spring, TX.
Old April 10th, 2017, 10:13 PM   #15
matguy

I think the issues I had with my customs just had to do with the disconnect between the molding and the building personnel, and the disconnect in communication that goes along with that. My main issues had been my arches. Back in the day a lot of boots had fairly flat arches (by back in the day I mean the 5x80s days.) When I came back to skating around 2013-ish most of the stock boots had moved to much more pronounced arches. I went through a couple boots and then decided to go the custom route.

Being eternally cheap and previously having fine luck and a fine relationship with Bont, a custom Z seemed like a good enough option since I was just having fun with it, not expecting to get back in to full athlete mode. When I got the boots back the construction seemed fine, but somehow they had an arch that my feet didn't have. I have a feeling that they looked at the mold, noticed it was done on flat ground, and decided to give me some arch. If I had been able to talk to the builder I could have expressed my concerns before it was too late.

While I was able to push out the arches some, there's only so much you can do. So while the center got pushed down, that brings in the lower-sides of my feet and those hurt now, plus it seemed to move my ankles enough that they bite on the sides of the carbon, so I put pads in. I've gotten to where I can live with them by skating a decent pace on them for a few minutes and taking a few minutes to sit down and wait for the cramping to go away. From there I do fine until I take them off. It's just frustrating if I have a race early in the schedule, otherwise I just put them on first thing and sit in them throughout the meet. (This is indoor, btw, they don't bother me nearly as much outdoor.)

I am looking in to (AKA: convincing my wife to bless spending on) customs from a US Domestic builder. Not that the Bonts are bad boots, they just don't fit my oddball feet and it's hard to talk to them through the process. I know plenty of people that are perfectly happy with their custom Bonts.

Also, I am realistic that this might just be a problem with my feet and it's quite possible that just about any boot could pose the same problems (but I don't tell my wife that.)
Old April 11th, 2017, 12:05 AM   #16
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Skated my brand new Simmons custom today and they fit and skated just like my old pair of customs. They felt great and only gave me a slight hot spot on the right side of my right Achilles.

I'll be trying them at an indoor practice tomorrow. The new mounting block position allows my EO frames to be centered, unlike my old 165mm paid that had more wheel in the heel, which I couldn't skate very well with. I just hope that using a 195mm mount w/ the 125mm wheels doesn't mess me up too much.
Old April 11th, 2017, 01:11 AM   #17
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by matguy View Post
I think the issues I had with my customs just had to do with the disconnect between the molding and the building personnel, and the disconnect in communication that goes along with that. My main issues had been my arches. Back in the day a lot of boots had fairly flat arches (by back in the day I mean the 5x80s days.) When I came back to skating around 2013-ish most of the stock boots had moved to much more pronounced arches. I went through a couple boots and then decided to go the custom route.

Being eternally cheap and previously having fine luck and a fine relationship with Bont, a custom Z seemed like a good enough option since I was just having fun with it, not expecting to get back in to full athlete mode. When I got the boots back the construction seemed fine, but somehow they had an arch that my feet didn't have. I have a feeling that they looked at the mold, noticed it was done on flat ground, and decided to give me some arch. If I had been able to talk to the builder I could have expressed my concerns before it was too late.

While I was able to push out the arches some, there's only so much you can do. So while the center got pushed down, that brings in the lower-sides of my feet and those hurt now, plus it seemed to move my ankles enough that they bite on the sides of the carbon, so I put pads in. I've gotten to where I can live with them by skating a decent pace on them for a few minutes and taking a few minutes to sit down and wait for the cramping to go away. From there I do fine until I take them off. It's just frustrating if I have a race early in the schedule, otherwise I just put them on first thing and sit in them throughout the meet. (This is indoor, btw, they don't bother me nearly as much outdoor.)

I am looking in to (AKA: convincing my wife to bless spending on) customs from a US Domestic builder. Not that the Bonts are bad boots, they just don't fit my oddball feet and it's hard to talk to them through the process. I know plenty of people that are perfectly happy with their custom Bonts.

Also, I am realistic that this might just be a problem with my feet and it's quite possible that just about any boot could pose the same problems (but I don't tell my wife that.)
That is so interesting since I have the opposite problem with customs. They never have enough arch!!!
Old April 11th, 2017, 12:53 PM   #18
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

I'm fairly flat-footed and unfortunately, that means that I have to space the frame to clear the center 125mm wheel. At least I didn't have to space it as much as I did with my 165mm mount boots:

I'm also very happy that the frame is more centered on this boot than it was on the older boot. In both cases, I have the frame mounted in the very front row of mounting holes. But the new boot has 5 rows of mounting holes vs the old boot's 3 rows. The new is 2-3-2-3-2 and the old is 3-4-3.
Old April 11th, 2017, 06:02 PM   #19
reely?

Quote:
I'm fairly flat-footed and unfortunately, that means that I have to space the frame to clear the center 125mm wheel. At least I didn't have to space it as much as I did with my 165mm mount boots:

I'm also very happy that the frame is more centered on this boot than it was on the older boot. In both cases, I have the frame mounted in the very front row of mounting holes. But the new boot has 5 rows of mounting holes vs the old boot's 3 rows. The new is 2-3-2-3-2 and the old is 3-4-3.
Nice skates, why did you have to shim them up? Now there's a custom issue, surely Dave knew you were planning to skate 125s.

Two other off topic questions,

1. Code Whites? I know you love em. Do share your opinion. At $20ea best 125 value hands down imo.

2. Why 13.2?

Spring, TX.
Old April 21st, 2017, 12:18 AM   #20
panch0

Good posts all of you guys. I enjoy reading you.