S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old February 19th, 2008, 12:51 AM   #41
Drella
alive with pleasure

I'm so artsy fartsy.

Me on my winter ride- 2007 San Antonio Florida 6' 225lbs.

Drella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 01:21 AM   #42
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

6'2" or 6'3". Need to really measure someday.
175 lbs, UP from about 164 when I started skating. It's nice being able to put on muscle.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 01:55 AM   #43
BHerrick
I can haz speed?

5'9" Was 145 avg for the majority of my life until last Spring. Went up to 165, now at 160 where I'd like to keep it.
Old February 19th, 2008, 02:28 AM   #44
oldnslow
Listen to DaMan

five foot six and five eighths of an inch tall. 162#'s
Old February 19th, 2008, 02:49 AM   #45
Jennie
Don't H8, sk8

I don't care that much about pounds; I care more about my health and if I fit into my clothes. I revamped my wardrobe recently, and I'll be in trouble if I have to buy more clothes.

5'3", 120 lbs on most days. 122 lbs after I eat at Freebirds (a GIANT burrito joint). Those in Austin and College Station know what I'm talking about. Oh, I love Freebirds. I weighed the last one I got. It was 4 lbs on the kitchen scale (not including the 15 oz of salsa), and it only took me 4 days to finish it. Now that's a burrito.
Jennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #46
cehowardrc51

Well, here is the OLD MAN, mean, ugly, and very skinny at 6'3" 139 lbs. Close to a good 37 lbs underweight. Fat is almost nil.

cehowardrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #47
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS

Pretty good arms for a skinny guy. You do much upper body work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehowardrc51 View Post
Well, here is the OLD MAN, mean, ugly, and very skinny at 6'3" 139 lbs. Close to a good 37 lbs underweight. Fat is almost nil.

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #48
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drella View Post
I'm so artsy fartsy.

Me on my winter ride- 2007 San Antonio Florida 6' 225lbs.
Have we met? I ride San Antonio a lot and you look vaguely familiar (from what I can tell from the pic )
Old February 19th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #49
skaterdog

I'm 6'3 and 230.

cehowardrc51, you don't seem to have an ounce of fat on you. My ideal weight is about 220-225 but I have much wider shoulders (swimming) and butt(skating).
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #50
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehowardrc51 View Post

I wouldnt worry about the charts. You have plenty of muscle on you. I wouldnt say you were too skinny, lean and muscular and probably small boned. I dont see any bones sticking out so you look plenty healthy. I'm only 10-15 lbs underweight and I dont have muscles like that to show.
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #51
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post

Pray tell, i am fairly sure that at 5'7" and my current 158 pounds, i am in the overweight category.

I don't feel overweight.
I scoff at your pathetic overweightness at a paltry 158.

I'm 5' 7" (on a good day, some might say I'm at least a quarter inch below that). At the end of outdoor season after my 40 pound weight loss I was sitting at 176. Today I am at 182 winter weight.

BMI can bite my crack. I'm in 33-inch jeans for the first time since High School. If you've see my pix in the P90X pics, I don't think you'd consider me massively overweight.

I wish I could be 158, I don't think I could survive at that weight! My actual goal for this summer is 165-170. I would love to be able to skate at that weight.

You tell me - here's a pic of me at Christmas, probably at 179. No, I'm not a thin person, but do I look hugely overweight? According to BMI, I is.

Edit: Here's me after my weight loss in November.

The last thing I need to lose is my remaining gut. If that is 10 pounds (which feels about right) I'd be at 170 - which is still quite overweight by that index. You can't tell from this pic, but I am a bit muscular (not as cut as cehowardrc51 )

Anyway, I'd love to drop 10-15 more if I can this year.
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #52
roller_dudette
skate addict!

I think people focus too much on weight and not enough on health. Do you eat right and healthy? Can you do the things you want to do? Are you active, full of energy? I know too many people who live off of diet sodas and eat empty calories and count calories or skip meals then overeat. That is unhealthy. If you are healthy and are somewhat over/underweight, I think its silly to worry about it. I think our bodies have a natural set point and to go too far beyond it leads to unhealthy practices. I really get tired of hearing about weight and calories and the ones that count calories eat the worst foods. I just eat healthy but not to the point where I cant breathe. My weight is what it is. When I get injured like I am now I try to push the protein/calories up some more to put on more muscle and try to keep up with some sort of strength program. Thats it for me! I eat a ton for my weight so I accept what I am, skinny.
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #53
MDS

Another factor to consider is genetics. Some people seem to constantly battle weight despite trying to eat healthy and exercising regularly. That is a concept that is foreign to me because everyone in my family is skinny. It doesn't seem to matter how much I eat or exercise, my weight stays in a fairly narrow range.

I was 6' and 132 pounds from about age 15 to early 30s then just magically started to gain a bit. My weight now stays in a very small range of mid 150s to very low 160s. I don't worry about it. When people try to guess my weight they always say 180. I think it is because I have wide shoulders and good upper body definition and strength and that gives the appearance that I am heavier than I am. I have never weighed anywhere near 180.
MDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #54
Drella
alive with pleasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Have we met? I ride San Antonio a lot and you look vaguely familiar (from what I can tell from the pic )

Probably not, but you may have seen my bike lying in the grass on Trilby and me picking through the fields for my lovely Panaeolus Cyanescens after a hot summers rain shower...

You know, trip without leaving the farm,, nod-nod-wink-wink...
Drella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 06:09 AM   #55
Mom Deb

OK, If you skate Squiggy, you will see anyway that I am VERY Heavy these days: 5'7" and 205 now.

My picture is on the Squiggy website and last year I was down to 180. I have put on all that weight since I quit smoking...but it is only temporary.
Mom Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 06:23 AM   #56
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

No matter, you quit! Congrats!
== John ==
P.S. Thanks for the compliment on my saying. It was actually original.
JGwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 04:00 PM   #57
cehowardrc51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS Dave View Post
Pretty good arms for a skinny guy. You do much upper body work?
I just happen to be like that all over. Some have suggested that I get into a body building contest!! Ha ha.. I laughed at that one.

I work out evenly. In other words, I do just as much work on upper body as I do my legs. My abs are strong, and show the 6 or 8 pack.

The main thing is my fat content is low, and my workouts are intense. No lifting heavy, just about 75% of my max. Whereas, everybody has the same muscles, and I am quite sure they are bigger than mine, it is just that I have almost no fat or very little fat, and they show. Some say that's a good thing.

My main goal is to slow the aging process, ward off athritis, and keep having fun..

6'3" 139 lbs at 67 years old. One thing for sure, it doesn't take much hp to make me go fast on the racetrack!!
cehowardrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #58
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdellaringa View Post
You tell me - here's a pic of me at Christmas, probably at 179. No, I'm not a thin person, but do I look hugely overweight? According to BMI, I is.
We are all sort of recalibrated because of the increasing obesity of those around us. Plus, we are just flat bigger than most of the rest of the world. I mean, Am-Wing makes a wheel especially for us ginormous americans... To me, it is interesting to watch old movies and see how much smaller americans were in the 30s-50s.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 08:05 PM   #59
Code Monkey

Mom Deb!!!!! YOU QUIT SMOKING!!!! YEAH!!!!

To me RollerDudette said it perfectly, and if you want to see what really makes a person sexy it's more in what they do and are that matters. You can be really skinny and sexy or overweight and sexy. Now excessive either way like anorexia or morbidly obese is not but then you get back to what RollerDudette said about eating right and exercising.

I don't know personally but I have heard quitting smoking is incredibly difficult so when you are thinking about it to much here are some things I repeat to myself during tough times.

This one I got from watching the Kona IronMan. A 65 year old blind man, finished with his son. Think of all the training one would have to do. Incredible. When they interviewed him, he told his story and then he said the trick is not the think of what you don't have but what you do have.
So I say that to myself all the time and try to live it. To do an IronMan is incredible and takes dedication beyond dedication, to be blind .... OMG!!!

The other was told to me a long time ago by my father, it's not what happened or what you did that matters it's what you do at this precise moment that does. Remember this and all else will fall into place.

So I say that to myself also. At the time I heard my dad and thought it was just another one of his sayings and didn't quite understand it but now as I have gotten older I understand it. So when you think you need a smoke, remember it is what you do at this precise moment that matters.

Also, remember you can skate farther than many people who skate.

Stay with it girl!!!!! You can do it!!!!
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 05:27 AM   #60
Mom Deb

Thanks, CM and John! I really love the community here. It is like all the great encouragement I got from my daughter many times over and it is also fun to see how everyone is doing.
Mom Deb is offline   Reply With Quote