S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old February 14th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #21
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleecker_Girl View Post
We almost never drive somewhere to go bike riding...
...major peeve. I can't say I never do it, but I try to avoid it. Within 3 miles of my house, I have two access points to one of the longest bike trails in the country and on the other side of it is a cornucopia of country roads that we skate and ride on. The bummer is that the bike trail runs a long a river so you have to climb to get out of the valley AND climb to get home Since it's always down hill when starting a ride from my house, it reminds me of a quote from Cinema Paradiso "...on the way there, all the saints lend a hand, on the way back they just watch."
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #22
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
Road bikes are BORING.......get one of these! Hit the trails and launch off some jumps!!

dudette! WTF, girl? that bike's awful damn clean!!!
Sounds like YOU need to hit the trails!
Old February 14th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #23
speedysktr
President of Everything

Drella, a little friendly advice:

try backing the attitude down a notch, FFS.

+1 to MC's post
Old February 14th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #24
Npawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
Drella, a little friendly advice:

try backing the attitude down a notch, FFS.

+1 to MC's post

I didnt really take offense too it. I understood what he was saying. Though I didnt understand how cross training for SKATING would warrant all that gear for BIKING. Im not, by any means, a serious skater. I skate almost every day and just trying to add on the miles. My cardio freaking blows and I have the hardest time getting any progress with it, which is why I asked about the bike.
Npawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 12:36 PM   #25
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npawn
I didnt really take offense too it.
That's why it was friendly advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drella View Post
Sorry my brutha,, when I see that you want to- "do some cross-training," I figured you were serious about skating. To me, cross-training implies someone is training for races. Therefore, are interested in simply winning at all costs. To me, if one doesn't race then his training is merely recreational riding. So if this is the case for you, I would check out a comfortable way of keeping in shape...
Go hard or go home, right? For everyone else it's the sissy bikes.

oh noes!!!, we've never had a real racer in here, what do we do now?

Old February 14th, 2008, 12:50 PM   #26
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Here's the deal, the bike may cost a few bills but your accessories will equal the price of the bike.

ex: Giro Atmos helmet = $149.
Pearl Izumi Bibs and jersey = $229.
Gloves = $25.
Socks = $7.
Glasses = $100.
Shoes = $189.
Pedals = $149.
Gu and other nutrional items = $40. for the first month
Bottle cages and bottles = $50.
Floor pump = $45.
Extra tubes and flat tire repair kit for on the road = $36.
Chain lubes and cleaner kit = $45.
Lights / tail lights cheaply, just enough to be seen= $55.

So as you can see, we're already over $1000.

Now here's what I'm going to say about the bike. Get something that will have a higher re-sale value, just incase you don't enjoy the sport. That way, you won't be stuck trying to sell used junk.

The bike you linked to is alright but has crappy parts and wheel-set.

So now, let's just say you really like the sport,, now what has happened is you have a bike that will not perform as good as your new riding partners or be as cool as you'd would've liked it to have been. I follow the rule of- "buy the best," that way you don't have to buy it twice.

What I would recommend is buying something used. There are plenty of folks who purchase new rides every year and have wonderful items on the cheap.

Get a Carbon Fiber ride with nothing less than Ultegra 10 speed and a Ksyrium SSL wheel-set. I bet you can find this used and in great shape for around $1600. And we're talking about a bike that would retail for over $4000.

Check your local Craigs List frequently and of course e-bay...
BTW, I agree with a lot of this post, maybe not the entire item list or spending $1600 out of the gate, but if you can get a good used bike, by all means. It's just not that easy for a complete newb to do. If you know someone that rides and can help you you're much better off.

Just buying a bike from a shop isn't the golden ticket to a lifetime of joy. Bikeshop relationships are just that, a relationship. I recently broke up with my old bikeshop and only go there for an emergency tube or something. Find a good shop and go from there. I wouldn't buy from the shop just because they have Treks. My first road bike was used and I rode it for years. When you get on a good bike, compared to a clunker, you will know where that money went. I'm definitely of the school that if you are going to do it, then do it well. If you want to get the most out of the cross training, then ride to ride. Npawn, if you are struggling on the cardio, cycling will be a great way to crank it up without the additional challenges that skating add to the equation. I'd bet cycling groups are a 100 to 1 or probably 1000 to 1 compared to skating. You can go anywhere in this country and find a ride.

This bike is definitely along the lines of a basic powerslide skate.
Old February 14th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #27
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

I don't have any detailed, expert advice to contribute (since when does that ever stop me, eh?), but I can reinforce two points already made: First, go with a competent local bike shop. You will pay a bit more initially for the bike, but you will save more than enough dollars, hours, and hassle down the line to make up for it tenfold. Second, expect to drop a few hundred for various accessories in the month or two following the purchase. Fortunately, there is a lot of accessory overlap with skating, but you'll probably be buying various lights, bottle cages, clipped or clipless pedals, saddle bags or paniers, repair parts and tools, etc. and so forth.

Also, something to keep in mind: skating and biking aren't necessarily mutually exclusive; I often ride to my skate spot and am more than warmed up enough to start sprinting right off the bat.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:04 PM   #28
Npawn

Quote:

This bike is definitely along the lines of a basic powerslide skate.
It will make my feet cramp and blister easily?
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #29
skaterdog

On bikeforums.net I have seen the basic bikes called "one hour bikes"...because after an hour of riding it gets uncomfortable.
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #30
Drella
alive with pleasure

Maybe some of you will agree with this advise. Instead of purchasing a bike, why not treat yourself to a few months of spin class at your local workout hot spot. In that time you'll be able to build your cardio up with a serious V02 max, you'll be pushed by other members flanking you, the chick in front of you is almost always nice to look at, all you need is a pair of tri-shorts (if you're not embarrassed of any "trouble-areas" you may have), the music is rockin, most others there do cycle and will always be glad to get you started or even kick you down things for free. So you see, maybe this idea of joining isn't such a bad idea. Give it a shot, you just may like it...
Drella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:20 PM   #31
Npawn

Quote:
Maybe some of you will agree with this advise. Instead of purchasing a bike, why not treat yourself to a few months of spin class at your local workout hot spot. In that time you'll be able to build your cardio up with a serious V02 max, you'll be pushed by other members flanking you, the chick in front of you is almost always nice to look at, all you need is a pair of tri-shorts (if you're not embarrassed of any "trouble-areas" you may have), the music is rockin, most others there do cycle and will always be glad to get you started or even kick you down things for free. So you see, maybe this idea of joining isn't such a bad idea. Give it a shot, you just may like it...
I live in a incredibly small area.. We dont have such things. That, and I dont play well with others and often do most of my training solo.
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #32
Drella
alive with pleasure

I just Googled your area, I think I would like it up there compared to here. Whispering Pines looks like a nice park to skate, is it?
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:30 PM   #33
Npawn

Quote:
I just Googled your area, I think I would like it up there compared to here. Whispering Pines looks like a nice park to skate, is it?

No, theres nothing paved in that park. Its all dirt trails exclusive to runners/walkers. Theres like 4-5 baseball fields, some soccer fields and the local schools run their cross country meets there. The trail that I skate on is the rails-to-trails. It extends up and down the state pretty far. Its in good condition in most areas.. some rough spots here and there. Its a quiet town but its growing.
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #34
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
+1
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:53 PM   #35
CKmost

Quote:
Not a bad idea, but I think most of us prefer to be outside. I see you are in the Tampa Bay Area, and I guess you are a skater perhaps inline. Any plans on coming up for the Squiggy Inline Classic? Are you wearing a dress in the picture?
CKmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #36
Drella
alive with pleasure

Quote:
+1

Old February 14th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #37
Npawn

Quote:

Thats interwebs for he agrees with you =D
Old February 14th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #38
BleeckerSt_Girl

Quote:
Maybe some of you will agree with this advise. Instead of purchasing a bike, why not treat yourself to a few months of spin class at your local workout hot spot.
This is an excellent alternative as well.
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:46 PM   #39
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

I was recently struggling with the same decision. Man this stuff is expensive,and it doesn't stop with the bike. I mean, you don't even get pedals!

I want Carbon Fiber skates, not dumping another 300 bucks in something that just lets me stand on the bike!

But after having said that, although it took me almost 5 hours, I got a bike this weekend.

I tore my MCL recently and I'm not quite ready psychologically for skating, but maybe this weekend. I need to build up leg strength.

My brother and I went to a grand total of 5 bike stores. Even with the right size, some bikes just don't fit. I looked at a few Cannondales at Helen's cycle shop but they just didn't fit right. I finally got a Scott S40, for about what the Trek quoted earlier ran.

By 'just don't fit' I mean they were perfectly sized, but there just wasn't something right about the geometry. The Scott fit and felt much better.

The deciding factors for me:
1) Mountain bikes looked good, but the reality is you usually drive to a trail and bike; that's time consuming. I'm in SoCal and we have a LOT of asphalt and great weather. So I went with a road bike.
2) When I mentioned to the bike shop guy I *skate* for 2 hours typically, he said I wouldn't be happy sitting on a cheaper bike for that long. You need something more 'real'.
3) You can get cheap pedals to start with -10 bucks or so.
4) Don't forget something with padding (Bike Shorts). I got those 'wrestling short' looking things with the shoulder straps, and they are a LOT more comfortable than spandex shorts, which tend to 'roll down'. Maybe you'll have less of a problem.

If you skate you may already have the helmet, etc.

Yea, they are expensive, but I figure I'll keep this one for a while and cross train when it's dark out. I've had several big scrapes skating when it was dark. I just hope my wife won't throw this one out like she did the last one. I'm still mad about that. It WAS obsolete (20 yrs old, 20 spds, rust chips on the Chrome Molly frame), but it would have saved us a lot of money. Can you tell we have issues?
== John ==
JGwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #40
speedysktr
President of Everything

Cycling shoes and clipless pedals are an essential part of the deal. Shop around, do what you have to do, but I highly recommend them. Developing a proper "spin" while pedaling is an integral part of the cross training process. Spin= applying equal and constant pressure to both pedals simultaneously. It means lifting up on one pedal while you are pushing down the other. It means pushing over the top of the range (10 to 2 o'clock) while pulling across the bottom range (4 to 8 o'clock) on the other side. If you want to know how evenly you are applying the pedal stroke throughout the range, pop one foot out of the pedals and stroke with one foot. For most folks it will be a little lurchy and surge-ee. The more efficient your spin is, the less herky jerky it will be. Spinning works more muscle and is therefore a more comprehensive supplement to skating.

You can find "egg beater" pedals pretty cheap and shop around for some sale or closeout shoes. They can be mtn or road if you are doing this strictly for cross training. I urge people to embrace cycling, though. It is definitely my second love running a close second to skating. (mtn biking, specifically)