S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 02:00 PM   #101
streetsk8r

While Accelerade is clear and could be called juice-like the list on the side of the bottle is clear -

in the list of ingredients

"why protein isolate (from milk)"

and at the bottom of this section

"allergen information: Contains milk"

From a semi-lactose intolerant person, it has the same effect as drinking milk. Coating in the mouthand runny nose about two hours after drinking.

Yes and I was dumb enough to try it twice.
streetsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 09:04 PM   #102
HVSkater

Okay, so you guys made me curious. I got a bottle of Accelerade... and unfortunately, it didn't taste like a vanilla milkshake . Very unfortunate and depressing indeed . In fact, I can't really tell you what it tasted like, other than really weird. It didn't seem too sweet to me, it just had this bizarre flavor or feel to it. As someone mentioned above, it leaves sort of a coating in your mouth. It's almost "syrupy," although it's not really thick (viscousity). I don't know if the hype on the side of the bottle is true. I suppose it could be beneficial with the protein thing going on, but it's not really something that I see quenching my thirst during or after a long run or skate.

I think I will stick with Gatorade Propel--good stuff (if you liked KoolAid as a kid ).
HVSkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 09:10 PM   #103
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

Well, when I was in the Marine Corps -- an organization that really knows something about sweating **, the Doctors said that eating a lot of Salt really wasn't necessary. This had changed while I was in, they had used to make you eat a lot of salt.

All we drank was water.

I did get the 4 bottle Road Runner sports belt, and I like it. I can even load it full of ice cubes for a little refridgeration during the skate

I looked at those Gel Packs and there's a lot of that high fructose corn syrup in them. Not sure about sports drinks.

I get Kidney stones so I'm in the habit of drinking a lot of water. So I'm just sticking with that. It's hard enough to keep the bottles not smelling funky.

== John ==

** The thing people forget is that in the Military, the consequence of failing to meet a specific performance target can be death. And yes, this includes during exercise not just when you don't do a good job and lose the battle.
JGwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 09:44 PM   #104
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVSkater View Post
Okay, so you guys made me curious. I got a bottle of Accelerade... and unfortunately, it didn't taste like a vanilla milkshake . Very unfortunate and depressing indeed . In fact, I can't really tell you what it tasted like, other than really weird. It didn't seem too sweet to me, it just had this bizarre flavor or feel to it. As someone mentioned above, it leaves sort of a coating in your mouth. It's almost "syrupy," although it's not really thick (viscousity). I don't know if the hype on the side of the bottle is true. I suppose it could be beneficial with the protein thing going on, but it's not really something that I see quenching my thirst during or after a long run or skate.

I think I will stick with Gatorade Propel--good stuff (if you liked KoolAid as a kid ).
The only two flavors of Endurox/Accelerade that I can endorse are blue raspberry and fruit punch. Every thing else is just vile.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 09:53 PM   #105
HVSkater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvirtue View Post
The only two flavors of Endurox/Accelerade that I can endorse are blue raspberry and fruit punch. Every thing else is just vile.

Vile. Yeah, that kind of summed it up. Great descriptor! It was supposed to be some sort of peach something or other. And lemme tell ya, it di'n taste like no peach I ever tried!!! The peach from hell...
HVSkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 10:06 PM   #106
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

I don't really understand the idea of Sea Salt as being healthy - it kills 39% of people that are stuck on life rafts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seawater

Here's all the 'chemicals' in Sea Salt:

Component Concentration (mol . kg-1)
Cl- 0.546
Na+ 0.469
Mg2+ 0.0528
SO42- 0.0282
Ca2+ 0.0103
K+ 0.0102
CT 0.00206
Br- 0.000844
BT 0.000416
Sr2+ 0.000091
F- 0.000068

Unless "Organic Sea Salt" is some other weird mixture.

Wikipedia has a great article on Sea Salt:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_salt

Himalayan salt has some other chemicals (minerals) in it.

This is funny:

Quote:
Because sea salt generally lacks high concentrations of iodine, an ion essential for human health [1], it is not necessarily a healthy substitute for regular iodized table salt, which is usually supplemented with the element, unless another source of dietary iodine is available. Iodized forms of sea salt are now marketed to address this concern.
I've driven through Salt Lake City and believe me, after seeing dump truck loaders driving around on the salt, I want whatever goes on the table washed

But ... this is turning into a weird health food thing and I'm not helping any

With my 2 or 4 bottles of regular water I'm doing fine, seemingly.

== John ==
JGwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 12:52 AM   #107
sk8scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsk8r View Post
While Accelerade is clear and could be called juice-like the list on the side of the bottle is clear -

in the list of ingredients

"why protein isolate (from milk)"

and at the bottom of this section

"allergen information: Contains milk"

From a semi-lactose intolerant person, it has the same effect as drinking milk. Coating in the mouthand runny nose about two hours after drinking.

Yes and I was dumb enough to try it twice.

Well, I tried the fruit punch variety of Accelerade, and the first sip was kind of weird. After that, it actually tasted good! We'll see if it makes any difference in terms of recovery...

As for whey protein and lactose intolerance, the two are totally unrelated (as online inline correctly notes above). Lactose intolerance has nothing whatsoever to do with digesting protein, nor anything else in dairy besides the sugar known as lactose (aka "milk sugar").

Some people are deficient in lactase and thus don't digest lactose very well. Some ethnic groups, like Peruvian Mestizos, are especially prone to lactase deficiency / lactose intolerance. When the lactose doesn't get digested, that's where the bloating, cramps, & diarrhea come in. Here's a link that has the bare bones info: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/l...tolerance.html

The wikipedia link has more details. You won't find any mention of runny nose or filmy mouth, 'cause those apparently aren't symptoms of not digesting lactose. (Maybe there's some other sensitivity to milk products at play???)

The short version is more or less a Wayne's World dialog:
"No whey?"

"Whey!"

----Scott
sk8scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 01:34 AM   #108
streetsk8r

They have gels too if you like those. I was at the bike store this weekend to get some Hammer Gels to try. The guy was really pushing the Accerlade gels.

I'm slow to finish but quick to start - RHCP
streetsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote