S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old June 21st, 2007, 05:14 PM   #21
roller_dudette
skate addict!

But was that ligaments or joints? Because I think that really is for cartiledge, which I dont have problems with. I just tend to hurt my ligaments and those take forever to heal. The problem is because there isnt a good blood supply to them. But I was thinking I should take bromelian which I think helps with blood supply too. And heat.

I know vit. C is helpful too! Just trying now to watch my budget so I need to cut out stuff like that if its not actually doing anything for me.

Just I"m not sure right now if my slight acheing is ligaments or not, lol.
roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 05:51 PM   #22
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
But was that ligaments or joints?
Joints.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 06:29 PM   #23
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

On longer skate routes, we stage fill-up locations along the route. That way we can carry less bottles and fill up at the locations we've set up.

Hydration and some sort of nutritional supplement, like gels.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 02:53 PM   #24
streetsk8r

Being in South Florida, it never is 100 degrees - but normally upper 80's to mid 90's. When combined with the humidity - normally 60 to 100 percent now that the rainy season is here we are normally "feels like 90+".

After Hurricane Wilma, shade is a rare commodity so unless there are clouds I am almost always in the sun.

I used to wear cotton t shirts and switched several years ago to Nike wicking jersey and shorts. What a difference! Not only do you feel a lot cooler but the amount of weight that a sweat drenched T shirt holds is amazing.

I normally carry a 20 ounce Gatorade for my skate (up to 80 minutes on weekends) and it is almost finished by the end of the skate. I will top off the bottle with water with what Gatorade is left and then usually go through another bottle over the next hour or so.

Please wear your helmet. I got one of the Giros that are for biking with good ventilation. I noticed that the amount of sweat from my head went down considerably when switching from my cheapo bike helmet.

I switched the clothing and helmet about the same time. Before I made the changes sometimes I would get done with my skate and be completely wiped out. Just want to lay on the floor and do nothing. Now I find that I am tired but do not have that feeling of complete exhaustion.
streetsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 06:34 PM   #25
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Well, now I'm skating mostly skatepark outside, so spandex doesnt go well sliding lol. But I do wear shorts, but heavy jean material. And the gear is hot and bulky. A bike helmet isnt as good for skateparks. So guess thats what I have to work with.

But Florida never gets to 100? It does here and this is Maryland.
Old June 25th, 2007, 09:02 PM   #26
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

I'm finding my crash pads are plenty warm. I have light spandex / cool max type running shorts over the top of them (same length), and lately I've been using a coolmax type sleevless running shirt. I still get hot, and I'm running on the beach here in SoCal. I think it was seventies. I'd die where you guys are posting from.

Look for a 'road runner sports' or go online - the have some good innexpensive outfits to run in. Some skaters in my class thought I was nuts to not where long pants, but I find with my knee/elbow pads and the crash pads I'm not scraping much skin. Pants would be too hot.

I'm not sure I'm good enough to go with one of those spandex speed skater outfits I did a new max of 19 miles in 2 hours this weekend, I have about 130 total miles into the sport.

The water might be a good idea, I hit a water fountain every now and then. It's a little warm but I let it run to let 'spit' and everything wash out. Might be nice to have a bottle at my side. One guy says to run with a backpack with a spare wheel or two and a wrench. I guess it would suck if I hit 6 miles out and broke a wheel.

== John ==
JGwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #27
roller_dudette
skate addict!

But spandex doesnt hold up to ramp sliding lol. So I cant do that. I need heavy material so I dont take my skin off.
Old June 25th, 2007, 11:38 PM   #28
sk8scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
But spandex doesnt hold up to ramp sliding lol. So I cant do that. I need heavy material so I dont take my skin off.
No problem! The skin will grow back, and how else are you going to ventilate your subcutaneous tissue in that heat?

----Scott
sk8scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 12:32 AM   #29
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8scott View Post
No problem! The skin will grow back, and how else are you going to ventilate your subcutaneous tissue in that heat?

----Scott
OK, take of some skin, then I get to skate naked huh when all my clothes rip off, lol?
Old June 26th, 2007, 02:00 AM   #30
streetsk8r

Most people don't know it but the record high temperature ever recorded in Fort Lauderdale was 99 degrees. The ocean breeze moderate the temperature so it does not get that hot. What bothers most people is the humidity.

Now if you move too far away from the coast (like Orlando) the temperature can hit 100 most summers.

As far as the clothing, I got my Nike wicking jersey and shorts at Sports Authority. Nothing that expensive. I tried the Under Armor but do not like the feel of the material. It is a little rougher finish so it did not move as well when skating. I'm not quite up to the spandex unitard league, I'll stick with my jersey and shorts.
Old June 26th, 2007, 02:45 AM   #31
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

I think spandex helps with the slide when I have done the asphalt thing. You get a burn from the friction underneath but at least the skin is there. From the knee pad down I only lost skin bouncing off a wood fence during one wipout, otherwise I wouldn't be worried about long pants. Its to hot. It's either a bike jersey with rear pockets for water bottles, or a small 50 oz Camelbak.
The difforence between a $15 helmet and a $50 helmet is a lot of heat.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 01:27 AM   #32
sk8crazy

This morning went out at 6:00 am for a 10 mile (16 km) skate and the temp with humidex was approx 90. I always wear a coolmax shirt or coolmax tank and lightweight spandex shorts. I also always wear a helmet (with over 20 vents---approx $100 Cdn), kneepads lined with coolmax and wrist guards lined with coolmax. The clothing and helmet are the key to keeping cooler. I used to wear cotton clothing, but once I switched to coolmax ... wow what a difference. I always take a 20 oz bottle of a mixture of 80% gatorade, 20% water and that seems to work for me. Tomorrow is looking to be another warm day ... in the morning (6:00 ish) apparently the temps going to be in the mid 80's. Love to skate in these temps ... my times are always faster.
sk8crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 03:19 AM   #33
roller_dudette
skate addict!

What about skateboard helmets? Thats whats required at the skatepark. I guess I'll keep drinking water lol!
Old June 27th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #34
streetsk8r

The key to the helmet is the amount of holes that it has. The more you can see your hair, the cooler it will be on your head.
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:39 AM   #35
Jibberish18

Quote:
What about skateboard helmets? Thats whats required at the skatepark. I guess I'll keep drinking water lol!
I could be wrong but from what I've seen it seems that bicycling helmets have lots more openings in them and allow your head to breathe a lot better. I mean my skate helmet from Protec protects me great, but it's big, not very breathable and heavy.
Jibberish18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #36
online inline

there are different TYPES of helmets, which are made to the specific demands of the sports for which they are intended. The skating helmets tend to extend a bit more down the back of the head to prevent head injuries from falling backwards, as skaters often do. Cycling helmets fall into mountain biking and road, the former being a little more beefy (and heavy), and the latter being more concerned with aerodynamics, really good ventilation, and being as light as possible.

I believe the REI has a thorough explanation on their REI.com website under 'choosing a helmet'.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 08:23 AM   #37
pdinphx
Jedi Master Wasabe

Roller Dudette,

It's 116 degrees in Phoenix and I just started to move 25 tons of landscaping rock with a shovel and wheelbarrow.

Come on, join me for a skate! I'd sooner do a half marathon in this heat than have to re-landscape my backyard ....
pdinphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 01:23 PM   #38
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdinphx View Post
Roller Dudette,

It's 116 degrees in Phoenix and I just started to move 25 tons of landscaping rock with a shovel and wheelbarrow.

Come on, join me for a skate! I'd sooner do a half marathon in this heat than have to re-landscape my backyard ....
LOL love to! Have you thought about just pouring a nice flat cement surface on the whole back yard, lol? I would seriously consider that! Or maybe just build a few ramps and all. No worries about landscape then!

Well I heard that in AZ, theres no humidity so super hot is not as big of a deal.

Right now though its thunderstorms here. I guess hot weather isnt something I should complain about in comparison.
Old June 28th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #39
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

Right now it's 64 with 51% humidity. It's supposed to hit a whopping 80. Oh Noes! Might have to turn on the A/C.

It hasn't rained in weeks.

You guys should come out to SoCal and skate

Bring sunscreen though, UV index is 10!

Don't worry, we pay for it with traffic.

== John ==

P.S. The funny thing is I am slowing down some, the crashpads are a little hot and I'm a cold weather and dry kind of a guy. I'm really sensitive to heat.
JGwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #40
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

With the temp. above 90 now, I pulled out the hydro pak for yesterdays 10 miler. Filled it with ice cubes and 1.5 liters of water for my hour skate. It helped me stay a little cooler and hydrated. I usually take one bottle and refill it at the turn around, but some times I skip the refill and don't take the time to drink water often enough while skating. My bad! Using the hydro pak should make it easier to drink more and more often. For longer skates I'll also take a bottle of Gatorade. I don't usually take rest stops, but I will include some for summer skates of over 1.5 hours.

My gear: CoolMax, no cotton, and helmet, wrist guards and pads.

LezSk8!