S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old November 12th, 2008, 02:32 AM   #1
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Default Protein Intake

This article was a little surprising to me. I have never tried to calculate my protein requirements because I was taught that nearly every American got plenty. Here's a quote:
The RDA and EAR for protein is 0.80 grams and 0.66 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day, respectively. That's an RDA of about 54 grams of protein a day for a 150-pound adult, or approximately 1.5 chicken breasts and a 7-ounce steak.

I weigh about 175, eat like a piglet, and I bet there are a lot of days where I get less than 2 chicken breasts and a 7 ounce steak. I wonder how much protein is in other food I eat.
http://www.yahoo.com/s/985993

I am sort of doubting their calcs now, though, since this says that a turkey-bacon sandwich has 47 grams of protein in it.
http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutriti...bravo-sandwich

Anyway, it was something I hadn't thought about or done any math on, and wondered if others had.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #2
skaterdog

Well I had two Cheesy Bacon Wraps from Burger King this morning. I don't make this a habit.

14 grams of protein each.

I need more bacon in my diet.

On a side note a Cheesy Bacon wrap is 290 calories and this link:

http://tinyurl.com/5pu7pn

Lists some types of physical activities that would burn off 290 calories. For example grooming farm animals for 45 minutes will do it.
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #3
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

That beats "shoveling - spreading dirt" for 53 minutes.

Bacon - nature's most nearly perfect food.
Old November 12th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #4
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

I had to go perform some "bowl" work just reading this thread.

LOL
Old November 14th, 2008, 12:58 PM   #5
BlueScreenJunky

Just drink fat free milk and yoghurts, and you'll get your proteins. Although you do need to eat some meat, I don't think you can get all those proteins from meat alone.
BlueScreenJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 01:44 PM   #6
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

I've been reading much about processed proteins, and protein in general. While protein is obviously necessary, it seems that it is (meat/processed meat mainly) causes colon cancers and reduced lifespans.

No more balonga, or hamburgers for me. I want to live a long time, with a colon. Lean steaks, chicken and fish, or beans and rice combinations.

Anyone else been reading this type of research? With all the nutrition experts here, surely someone can debunk this? Hopefully? (I really really like balogna and weiners!)
Old November 14th, 2008, 03:28 PM   #7
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

they've been saying dogs and bologna are bad for you since i was a little kid fryin' up bologna for a sandwich. i guess it applies to salami and all those too. not sure how much of that to believe. i don't even know what the hubbub is about really.

ground beef i think is the same as regular beef, just ground. you definitely want to cook the fat out of it, 'cuz the fat ain't doing you any good at all.

if you're talking about the studies on nitrosamines, which are formed when meat is grilled, then I think the lesson on that one was "don't char the outside of your meat" which I doubt anyone in TX or OK needed to be taught... :-) "I'll take mine rare, please." "You call that rare?"
Old November 17th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #8
XaviarCraig

I don't know if this is true(I think there might be some truth to it though) But there are a couple of med school students I know who say that; Protein intake is for helping produce more muscle. Minimal protein and lots of carbs is for strengthing/hardening existing muscles without increasing their size.

Basically they all say that exercising and eating lots of protein products is for get more muscles to LOOK good, but the muscles are usually weak and not really "practical".

However, actually lowering your protein intake and eating more carbs while exercising a lot apparently will just make your existing muscles more dense and stronger without changing their volume much. This supposedly would be ideal for actual "use" since you wouldn't increase your actual body size much.

Again; I do NOT know if this is 100% true, but I'd guess there is some truth to it. Can anyone here with a medical degree shed some light on this?

Just thought I pitch this in ^_^
XaviarCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #9
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

Bill in Houston wrote:
Quote:
"I'll take mine rare, please." "You call that rare?"
I hear ya, Bill. The saying around my house growing up was "If it aint' still mooin', it's aint' rare enough for me."

No dry, tough, tasteless burgers for me, but I don't eat more than one or two a month anymore.

LezSk8!
Old November 22nd, 2008, 01:04 AM   #10
online inline

you guys got me hedging my bets, so i've taken to changing my diet a little bit to make sure i am getting enough protein: i eat a couple of sardine sandwiches every other day, on home baked wheat bread smeared with humus. If that;s not wierd enough for you, you should get a load of what i eat for the rest of the week.
I love them little things!
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 02:36 AM   #11
MachV

Here's a read for you guys:

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psycho...gy/Protein.htm

There's equipment for everybody, but not all equipment is for every BODY.
MachV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 05:37 PM   #12
online inline

Good article, the last paragraph sums it up nicely.

I think you need to read it carefully to fully understand, he does not say that you athletes do not need a little extra protein, but he does say that it is probably all there in a normal balanced diet. And that's the notion that i have always subscribed to as well.
I think it's important to do a reality check once in a while to make sure we actually are consuming a balanced diet rather than taking it for granted.

Personally, i abhore supplements and only take a little whey protein, if you consider that a supplement, and i take 5 grams per day, which is only a miniscule 10% of the RDA. I take the few grams of protein becuase i eat very little meat most days, and some days, none at all, which makes me a bit nervous that i might not be getting enough each day.

Also, on another point, he talks about athletes in terms of muscle builders/strengtheners (like weight lifters) as opposed to endurance athletes. I would think most skaters fall somewhere in between, as endurance athletes are defined as events greater than two hours, and most skaters, myself included, don't do much of that (except maybe NYC 100K and/or A2A skaters).

I think this article give you most of what you need to know, and would only suggest that people who train seriously also pay attention to the post workout glycogen window and how recovery snacks/drinks could aid in recovery and with getting at least a 400 calorie meal/snack within a few hours of finishing a workout for complete reciovery and muscle replenishment and building.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 06:59 PM   #13
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
i eat a couple of sardine sandwiches every other day, on home baked wheat bread smeared with humus.
That sounds pretty awesome... I need to put more sardines in my diet. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachV View Post
So that seems like a recommendation for something like maybe 1.7 g/kg/day, since improvement over a baseline of .8 was observed in one study, and a basemline of 1.3 in the other. 0.8 is for a normal boring sedentary person, and I'm pretty sure I could benefit from having more than that.

Quote:
but he does say that it is probably all there in a normal balanced diet. And that's the notion that i have always subscribed to as well.
I think it's important to do a reality check once in a while to make sure we actually are consuming a balanced diet rather than taking it for granted.
I take the few grams of protein becuase i eat very little meat most days, and some days, none at all, which makes me a bit nervous that i might not be getting enough each day.
Ya, I was taught that every american got plenty, but I end up having oatmeal for breakfast and pasta for dinner pretty often, so I might be a little low.

Time to do some math and see what I come up with. Thanks for the thoughts.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 08:32 PM   #14
online inline

Yes, i did a reality chekc too, but it is so hard to figure becuase for protein source at lunch i was having nuts and beans and some protein in some vegetables, along with a lot of milk each day. I eat meat only at dinner, just a little mized in with pasta usually. I was not about to strat measuring this stuff out to figure it out, and since i saw that they do contain protein but not the mega-doses that are present in fish and meat, i figured, better to throw a little additional in via the sardines and whey protein.

And the sardines are like a super souce of the omega-3 oxidents that are so important in ridding muscles of the free radicals that damage them in training. Omega-3s, baby!!!
Old November 22nd, 2008, 11:19 PM   #15
sk8scott

Quote:
i eat a couple of sardine sandwiches every other day, on home baked wheat bread smeared with humus.
You smear topsoil on your sandwiches???

My diet is sort of Atkins-like, without trying to be. I eat a lot of veggies, cheese, beans, and red/white meat while shying away from "filler" carbs like potatoes. No extra protein supplements for me.

While I have enough proteins in my diet, I'm thinking of adding more protons so that I might be more positive.

----Scott
sk8scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 01:06 AM   #16
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Omega 3's! There what's for dinner!

(we eat the heck outta sardines, kippersnacks, smoked oysters and the like. YUM!)
Old November 23rd, 2008, 05:08 AM   #17
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

"Spam" is the food of Kings.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 05:58 PM   #18
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
"Spam" is the food of Kings.
I guess that's why we have a President.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 06:27 PM   #19
Drella
alive with pleasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueScreenJunky View Post
Although you do need to eat some meat,

You're weird bro....
Drella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 07:00 PM   #20
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Ya, I was taught that every american got plenty, but I end up having oatmeal for breakfast and pasta for dinner pretty often, so I might be a little low.

Time to do some math and see what I come up with. Thanks for the thoughts.
Did the math. Most days, I'm right at the RDA. The RDA for a sedentary person who doesn't work out. How do fat people do it? I eat a ton (it seems to me) and most days I'm under 2500 calories of total intake? And I'm not counting my spaghetti dinner as one serving of pasta - I eat half the package, which is 4 servings...

Time to start drinking more milk and getting some sardines and more meat in my diet. I need to double my protein intake. I had no idea that I was naturally choosing so few calories and so little protein.