S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old December 22nd, 2008, 03:04 AM   #121
online inline

Well if you could stomach about five or six of those, you'd be a candidate for the study referenced in oldnslow;s post! And if you were, you'd be man enough to be a cyclist! Try that one on for size.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 01:11 PM   #122
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
Well if you could stomach about five or six of those, you'd be a candidate for the study referenced in oldnslow;s post! And if you were, you'd be man enough to be a cyclist! Try that one on for size.
Many responses come to mind, none of which anyone else would want to read. :-)
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 05:36 AM   #123
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

Boy, you guys are lightweights.

This one time, at Camp Lejeune, I used to drink a six pack of Mountain Dew every night for a month ... was running on 4hrs sleep a night.

I wrote a computer program that the people that invented the language said would take 8 weeks. I learned the language and wrote it in 3-4 weeks.

I used to eat dinner early at home then drive back to base and work the rest of the night, picking up the 'Dew on the way in. Even though I had the key to my office I used to sign in at the duty (when I wasn't standing duty myself). A clerk asked me one time why I bothered to sign the key out. "Trust me, it'll be important sometime" I replied.

Well, it was a few days later. This G-3 LtCol (straight leg infantry, about as smart around computers as a box of rocks) looked at me as I was heading out of the door at 4:00pm. "Where are you going?"

I looked at the LtCol and said "Frankly sir, I'm going home".

Well, he just went off. "No wonder we're having such a hard time getting this program written! I can't believe you don't have a sense of urgency!" etc. (the Computer Support unit that was SUPPOSED to do the programming for us told us they couldn't finish it at all, much less in a few weeks).

"Sir, I believe you misunderstand me" I said, as he wound down. "I"m heading home and will cook myself dinner. Then, I'll be heading back tonight, and work until 2:00 am or so. So at sixteen hundred, I'm about halfway through my work day. I'm going home for lunch."

I headed out.

When I came back an hour later, the duty told me the LtCol went through the last few weeks of log book entries to validate in fact I'd been doing that.

I had ... all thanks to Mountain Dew!

Anyway, I'm off da Dew now ... had one four days ago but only because I'd been up all night. Maybe one a week, and no other caffeine.
== John ==
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat. " ~ Theodore Roosevelt, 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
JGwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 07:58 AM   #124
chaosdsm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGwinner View Post
Boy, you guys are lightweights.

This one time, at Camp Lejeune, I used to drink a six pack of Mountain Dew every night for a month ... was running on 4hrs sleep a night.
What... only a 6-pack... & you call yourself a Marine... drop & give me 50 Back about 6 years ago, I used to down a 2-liter every 3-4 hours, on a daily basis Now I can't stand it, at least not the original...

SemperFi
chaosdsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #125
online inline

Got a pound of gourmet coffee and another pound of espresso for the holidays, so it looks like those little caffeine tablet will have to sit until i burn off some of the real stuff.

I'm not sure about the caffeine tablets. the last one i tried, i mysteriously woke up unexpectedly early the day after i took it. That never happens no matter how much coffee i were to drink.

Anyway, i;ll think of all you coffee/Mt Dew/caffeine purists, abstainers, and otherwise when i fire up my first cup of holiday java.

Enjoy!
Old December 25th, 2008, 06:40 PM   #126
gem
Keep dem wheels moving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
espresso for the holidays, so it looks like those little caffeine tablet will have to sit until i burn off some of the real stuff. otherwise when i fire up my first cup of holiday java.

Enjoy!
Expresso, awesome gud tasting legal speed, gud anytime!
gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 12:50 AM   #127
jayssss
APRR Rules!

Default 8-10 DC's for me

I have two main vices, food and Diet Coke. I eat a little too much food, and keep Coca Cola's stock price up. I'm rarely without a DC in my hand. I keep saying I should quit, but just can't seem to kick it.

Jay
jayssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 05:05 AM   #128
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

It took a long time for me to quit the Mountain Dew addiction - but being diagnosed with PVC's helped

Cutting back is really just treating a symptom, no real medical issue in my case, they just feel weird. Better without it - I lost weight too, even though I was always drinking Diet. 0 calories doesn't mean you don't gain weight, oddly.
== John ==
Old March 1st, 2009, 05:50 PM   #129
gem
Keep dem wheels moving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGwinner View Post
, even though I was always drinking Diet. 0 calories doesn't mean you don't gain weight, oddly. == John ==
Yup, all them drinks using "Aspertain" list as Zero calories but actually slow the bodies matabolism and Ü end up gaining weight. Best to use just natural fruit drinks.
gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 07:56 AM   #130
Duke
Roller-ski Champignon!

he he, you guys continue to talk about all of these caffeine drinks... Mt.Dew, Red Bull, coffee in a can etc... BUT there is only one way to enjoy caffeine and it is by drinking an italian espresso/cappuccino!!!!!
What will be the next thing??? Red wine pills, hot dog mashed in an energy gel? McDonalds Big Mac in tablets??
The most important thing during a work out is water and salt/ions. While one have to refill with some cars during a longer or after a hard workout, far too many people consume far too much carbs during and after a workout. Some du it to an extent where they can't get loose weight (if that is the purpose of the workout). There is no need for carbs for a workout in moderate intensity under 1 hour or workout in low intensity under 1.5-2 hours, for sure no need for caffeine! Now for an athlete which really trains hard it is a bit different and one have to think not only about running "empty" in a workout, but also about the fastest restitution, thus then one have to consume the right amount of carbs and proteins during/ after the workout.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 08:31 AM   #131
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
...What will be the next thing??? Red wine pills, hot dog mashed in an energy gel? McDonalds Big Mac in tablets??
WHere you been, Duke?
We're already there: Resveratrol - the wonder supplement that fights everything from aging to Alzheimers with the miraculous power of over 1,000 glassses of red wine in just two tablets (https://www.600mg.com/). Or all the myriad of power bars or meal substitutes on the market that pretty much take the place of things like Big Macs, or hot dogs, or meals for that matter.

Hey, i don't ascribe to them, but i do know people who use all of the above to one extent or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
... far too many people consume far too much carbs during and after a workout...
far too many people don't workout, period. And far too many people consume too many calories, period. At least the ones consuming them during a workout are working out. I have to give them credit for that much. that's a start, anyway.
Old May 15th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #132
Duke
Roller-ski Champignon!

online inline, I agree with you on the last point!

As for "red-wine pills", some new research show that anti-oxidants and vitamins served in pills have no documented effect or less effect than when consume in the natural form. So I will keep to red wine!! :-)
So I'll rather take an espresso before the workout, then drink water or moderate drink such as gatorade during the workout. No red wine pills and big macs in a bar for me! :-) while I'm on the wheels. Then in the evening I'll rather have a nice B.B.Q burger or steak, served with a nice Shiraz or a Zinfandel.
Old May 15th, 2009, 02:16 PM   #133
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Since we've revived this thread, a quick update...

I'm down to three cups of green tea per day, and it feels great! No more highs and crashes.

On the alcohol side, I've nearly all but cut out drinks except maybe a beer here and there. I'm almost completely straight edge, who woulda thought
Old May 28th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #134
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

Hmm ... better fix that right away

I back slid last week some, was drinking 1 mountain dew a day roughly. Then, this weekend when I had the flu/cold/lung expulsion, I was drinking that and some Birch Beer (Root Beer), because "the bubbles make my sore throat better".

It's amazing what excuses you can come up with ...

Still hovering about 8 pounds higher than I'd gotten down to last year, need to stop the soft drinks entirely.
== John ==
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat. " ~ Theodore Roosevelt, 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
Old October 31st, 2009, 12:52 PM   #135
beallyoucanbe

Default Muscle Pain and Coffee

Jessica, I am an old guy 62 and I have run a lot when I was younger and skated for 3 years.

Coffee, as you have found and read that some people have a problem with it and others don't. As for me I found that I got severe muscle pain from drinking coffee. Example; go out and inline for 12 miles and the next day be sore from head-to-toe and even muscles not involved in skating were sore. There are hundreds of articles on the internet that say that coffee is what you should drink to help performance and sharpen your response time.

So for me I drink green tea, now and that gives me a lift but doesn't cause day after muscle pain. Every morning I have a cup of tea or if I want one in the afternoon too, but the big difference I can stop for a day without a headache. With coffee I got terrible headaches if I skipped a day.
beallyoucanbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 08:34 PM   #136
roller_dudette
skate addict!

I kicked the coffee habit, then needed to double my ritalin and later change to concerta so I could sit still. Obviously coffee does the opposite for me. I get the jitters if I STOP coffee. I drink 1/2 a pot in the morning, thats it, then its water. Good thing I never get the 3 pm sleepies like others do who need a pick me up since coffee is a settle me downer. I wish I could stop the caffeine habit but then I'm on prescription amphetamines which I assume are no better.
Old November 1st, 2009, 01:30 AM   #137
Art G

My typical pre-race meal.... 6 cups of coffee with cream, and three bagels with cream cheese. ... Yum.
Art G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 01:30 AM   #138
Art G

I'm indulging the caffeine monster.
Art G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 12:19 PM   #139
coomes
Endorphin Junkie

What? Kill the caffeine monster? No, No, No! Caffeine is our friend. Seriously, I have drunk around four cups of coffee per day for the last 30+ years and don't believe I have suffered any adverse effects. If I wanted to quit, I'd probably experience headaches for a week or so, but I'm confident I could.

I find Diet Coke to be much more addictive and am quite suspicious of its effects on my metabolism. I no longer keep Diet Coke in the house, but can rarely resist it when I'm out shopping. There is no denying the marketing power of addictive products.
Old November 1st, 2009, 12:46 PM   #140
Duke
Roller-ski Champignon!

No, no, no!!

Diet Coke, Pepsi Max, Mnt Dew, Red Bull,... green tee, all of this drinks are no substitute for... nothing.
This is the way to consume caffeine: