S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old January 5th, 2018, 05:24 PM   #1
JOORAW

Default New here... Quad Suggestions as well!

Hello everyone my names Jeremy new to the forum here and just getting myself back into this scene after about 15 years.

I used to skate at the Fountain Valley Skating Rink every Sunday for family night for almost 7 years and recently just went back last Thursday for adult night. Definitely some nostalgia and realized how fun and relaxing a night out like that can be, except for wearing those rental skates! I plan on going a couple times a month now!

Also came on here just to get some thoughts on what pair of skates I should go for? Not looking really to spend too much just some decent speed skates and if anyone is willing to part ways with an older pair I am all eyes and ears. I would be about a size 10-10.5! I am located in Orange County.
JOORAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2018, 12:25 AM   #2
BPTS
I made your Mom blush....

Howdy and welcome.
Keep an eye on ebay.
Old January 6th, 2018, 01:01 AM   #3
ursle
Street Skater

Wondering if your renting rink sells the rentals, and old leather boot is way better than a new padded, synthetic boot, something that fits would be great, put on new cushions and presto-chang0-get going projector, great skates.
Errr, new bearings and wheels.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2018, 11:24 PM   #4
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOORAW View Post
... used to skate at the Fountain Valley Skating Rink... I am located in Orange County.
We have people on the forum from all over the world and most folks may not realize you are talking about southern California.

I used to live out there, work in Santa Ana and take lunchtime naps at Mile Square Park. I see they've replaced the old airfield in the middle with a golf course. Looks like a great place!
Old January 7th, 2018, 01:34 AM   #5
amohrfeld

Howdy.
First, talk to the local rink. They may be knowledgeable enough to help and save time and money in the long run.

If that does not work then check out derbywarehouse.com. Unfortunately their holiday sale just ended.

Here is a budget sets I've recommended in the past:

http://www.derbywarehouse.com/Bont_Q...page-BQSC.html

I would call them and see what they recommend in your price range.

Of course if your budget is higher there are better options.

FYI: In my experience Riedell boots run a little large. Wish I know this before purchasing used off ebay.
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 07:29 AM   #6
larryoracing

Smile Fountain Valley Skating Center, So Cal.

Definitely ask Ryan at Fountain Valley about some skates. He may have some not shown in the display case for sale at a cheap price.

All the suggestions given on this post are perfect and legitimate.

I personally would go for more of an Artistic Skate/boot, but it's your choice and I'm sure speed skates are the way to go.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani

P.S. I skate at Fountain Valley every day. I doubt there is any rink in the world better than this one for a million reasons!
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 10:05 PM   #7
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Hello everyone my names Jeremy new to the forum here and just getting myself back into this scene after about 15 years.

I used to skate at the Fountain Valley Skating Rink every Sunday for family night for almost 7 years and recently just went back last Thursday for adult night. Definitely some nostalgia and realized how fun and relaxing a night out like that can be, except for wearing those rental skates! I plan on going a couple times a month now!

Also came on here just to get some thoughts on what pair of skates I should go for? Not looking really to spend too much just some decent speed skates and if anyone is willing to part ways with an older pair I am all eyes and ears. I would be about a size 10-10.5! I am located in Orange County.
I skated FV a lot 07-14. Don't really go there anymore. That annoying floorguard Chris is now a manager, and he likes **** music, and not taking requests for decent music. Lotta old regulars hate his guts. But, if you can get by that..... I still skate Moonlight in Glendale, and Wed night at Orange.

Most of the old time speed guys there are partial to 595's and a Dyna Pro, or Reactor Plates. Speed boot, 10 degree plate. I would set your sights, for a plate, on an SG Avanti alu plate. $135. Better than a DynaPro, not as light as a reactor. There is a Mag version of this plate too. Being a guy, hopefully your foot is wide. About as cheap as it gets, yet still providing some decent performance and longevity is is the SG Rebel boot. Hard leather on the outside, gets its' comfort from a lot of padding inside. A workable boot that plays well with the typical mans' wide foot. Not so good if you foot is on the thinner side.

So there is a boot and plate. Since you are coming back, and seem interested in performance, consider getting your plate a size or two shorter than normal, and having one of the Build guys here putting it together for you. The shorter plate will provide a faster reacting plate, and cut a little weight. Not something that seems slow or that you have to fight. I am assuming you were a skilled skater and are looking to regain your skills from the past.

So
Avanti $135
Rebel $110
Power Plus or Zombie wheel $120 ish
Qube 8 balls $42
$407 total. Wow, things got more expensive. But the reality is, I see some crap $300 package skates with wheels that need replacing right out the gate, so, this actually is not bad. No wasted money. Just money put to good use.

A light weight great boot option, or if your foot is thin, is the Bont Hybrid package. This is a synthetic Bont boot, not leather, but has all of the great Bont qualities. Best fitting boot to be found, heat moldable. It comes with a nylon plate, but because of the solid fiberglass base of the boot, the plate does not flex. (the biggest problem with a nylon plate)

$299 add wheels and bearings.

If you want to try a Bont, maybe we could meet up on a Wed night over at Holiday in Orange.

Oh, and if you should wander over to the skate shop in Long Beach, DO NOT buy a skate with a Riedell 265 boot. (the two stripe boot) They always seem to have some on display at an attractive price. There is a reason for this. Buy them and your feet will be screaming in pain, and there will be nothing to do about other than selling them to some other poor fool.
Old January 7th, 2018, 10:50 PM   #8
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

And the award for the crappiest advice EVER goes to..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Wondering if your renting rink sells the rentals, and old leather boot is way better than a new padded, synthetic boot, something that fits would be great, put on new cushions and presto-chang0-get going projector, great skates.
Errr, new bearings and wheels.
...... yeah. Let's take take a mediocre skate going out the gate, let it get old and stretched out, and it will somehow get better?
Old January 7th, 2018, 11:13 PM   #9
Dekindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
And the award for the crappiest advice EVER goes to..........

...... yeah. Let's take take a mediocre skate going out the gate, let it get old and stretched out, and it will somehow get better?
My sentiments exactly.

I have a Reactor Neo which is what was recommended by the local derby oriented skate shop but if I had it to do over a better alternative is the Avanti magnesium for many reasons: speed, turning, adj. pivots, weight, price, etc. If really price sensitive then the aluminum Avanti.
Dekindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2018, 12:53 AM   #10
ursle
Street Skater

Ha, I’m skating in an OB 351 boot made in the 50’s whish I could find another pair, any leather boot, real leather is superior to any synthetic or padded boot for skating, if it’s a high top with a long heel, cut the heel and lace up to the ankle bone, carbon fiber, junk.

The plates on an old rental skate 5-10degree are going to be better than the plates with king pins pushed through, sturdier, and for 25-30$ For the skates, just get cushions, bearings and wheels, get some hours, then get better plates.

IMHO, suggesting padded boots is the worst advice I’ve ever seen, padding packs out, causes hot spots and is expensive.

Any Snyder leather boot is also a great boot, stretched out...right, worn in, no more stretching, just skating.

Not my problem when yer young and dumb, or buy new, leather boots 500$ with no plates.

Of course if the rink sucks and has lousy boots, well, only a local would know, a differing opinion would point out the fact that the rentals at that rink suck, but all’ye’all go ahead and make it more fun for the op, spend as much of the op’s money as you want, and keep up the etiquette.

Going to the rink and trying on a pair, getting a pair that fits, beats trying eBay, but again, if the rink only has synthetic boots, well, try eBay, the boots are the skates, plates cushions and wheels are auxiliary, changeable, tweekable.

Facts, not alternate facts, and no religion

BTW, thank you for giving me the chance to point out what junk padded boots are and let me explain why real leather is superior.

They hold the foot exactly in place, they don’t heat up with use (melt), they last years and years, boots from the 20’s are just as good as new, they usually have soles that are exactly like new unless overdrilled, they breath, they are comfortable, they are superior.

Plates are another discussion.
Old January 8th, 2018, 03:47 AM   #11
wyodinosaur

Suggesting the purchase of used rentals is poor advice. Rentals never have the chance to be broken in to a particular persons foot so they get old and stretched with little support. And if they happen to not be old and stretched, then the rink will probably be holding on to them until they are.
wyodinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2018, 07:14 AM   #12
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Ha, I’m skating in an OB 351 boot made in the 50’s whish I could find another pair, any leather boot, real leather is superior to any synthetic or padded boot for skating, if it’s a high top with a long heel, cut the heel and lace up to the ankle bone, carbon fiber, junk.

The plates on an old rental skate 5-10degree are going to be better than the plates with king pins pushed through, sturdier, and for 25-30$ For the skates, just get cushions, bearings and wheels, get some hours, then get better plates.

Thing is, I have actually skated the rental skates in question. No one will want this skate when it is rung out. You are in some 1950's fantasyland. That explains a lot.

IMHO, suggesting padded boots is the worst advice I’ve ever seen, padding packs out, causes hot spots and is expensive.

Padded boots do lose it after some time. OP take note. But, as he is budget conscious, that is why I recommend it. He could go a little higher for more money, or pony up for a $300 plus boot.

BTW, thank you for giving me the chance to point out what junk padded boots are and let me explain why real leather is superior.

BTW, thank you for giving me the chance to point out, you don't have a padded boot, i do. Besides my Bont.

They hold the foot exactly in place, they don’t heat up with use (melt), they last years and years, boots from the 20’s are just as good as new, they usually have soles that are exactly like new unless overdrilled, they breath, they are comfortable, they are superior.

Plates are another discussion.
Real leather is superior. Well duh. In that case, a Quad Racer Leather, what is it these days, $330? 10 Degree nylon plate, $60, and wheels and bearings. I got no problem recommending that.
Old January 8th, 2018, 12:41 PM   #13
ursle
Street Skater

Ah, so I stand corrected, the rentals at that rink are inadequate, pity, on my second pair of 351ís, both started life as rentals, so, the op should check ebay, hope for a good fit and be prepared to try more than once, enough drama
Old January 9th, 2018, 12:23 AM   #14
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Ah, so I stand corrected, the rentals at that rink are inadequate, pity, on my second pair of 351ís, both started life as rentals, so, the op should check ebay, hope for a good fit and be prepared to try more than once, enough drama
With even a modest speed skate getting so expensive, Ebay may be the way. Never appealed to me, but some folks do well on there.
Old January 9th, 2018, 04:12 PM   #15
BladeWolf
Fastest furry on wheels.

Quote:

Try the riedell 395, those boots I see alot of people jam skating with.
BladeWolf is offline   Reply With Quote