S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old July 27th, 2018, 12:48 AM   #1861
JMartin

My name is Jim and I live in Hollister, CA.
I am 57 years old, and haven't skated since I attended high school in San Diego 40 years ago, where I met my beautiful wife Theresa. I have two children, Cody (28) and Stephanie (26). My wife recently passed away, after an 8 year battle with breast cancer. I miss her terribly.

Recently my daughter took an interest in skating (she was pretty good as a child). She bought a pair of Moxies and, because I wasn't going to let her have all the fun by herself, I bought a pair of Riedells. We have a huge driveway where we can practice privately, and we went to a skating rink for the first time last weekend for some public skate fun.

My daughter is falling right back into being a beautiful, confident skater.
I... am just falling. Actually only twice so far, but I'm waiting for my three-piece pad set to show up before I get too carried away. Yes, I have a helmet.

I don't know any current forum members, but I am very familiar with forum etiquette and find forum fellowship to be quite rewarding anytime I find a new interest or am just looking for educated advice.

Thanx,
Jim
JMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2018, 02:12 AM   #1862
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default Welcome to the forum

You are one of many come-back older skaters on the forum. So there is lots of advice and opinion available here. As a return to skating person myself, I would recommend you check out the following link("Skating Advice for Older/ComeBack Skaters").

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=50006

My daughter is the reason I got back into skating again also. She was going to skate and wanted company. I dusted off the old skates and went with her. I wasn't much good, but it was a lot of fun. So, the skating bug bit and the rest is history. That was five years ago.

Best wishes to you and your daughter! Enjoy!!!

Keep rollin
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2018, 01:58 AM   #1863
JMartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySk8ter View Post
You are one of many come-back older skaters on the forum. So there is lots of advice and opinion available here. As a return to skating person myself, I would recommend you check out the following link("Skating Advice for Older/ComeBack Skaters").

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=50006

My daughter is the reason I got back into skating again also. She was going to skate and wanted company. I dusted off the old skates and went with her. I wasn't much good, but it was a lot of fun. So, the skating bug bit and the rest is history. That was five years ago.

Best wishes to you and your daughter! Enjoy!!!

Keep rollin
Thanx for the welcome, and the link (some interesting reading there).
Stephanie and I went to a Skate Shop in Santa Cruz yesterday and bought all new protection - Knee, Elbow and Wrist (we already have helmets).
We previously ordered some sets on-line, but upon arrival they turned out to be ill-fitting junk. Back they went.
After an hour or so trying stuff on with the advice of the Skate Shop Owner, we spent 3 times the original cost, but ended up with much better gear.
I've been motorcycling since I was 6, and we have a saying ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time), seems logical to apply the same discipline in skating.

Jim
JMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2018, 11:38 AM   #1864
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartin View Post
Thanx for the welcome, and the link (some interesting reading there).
Stephanie and I went to a Skate Shop in Santa Cruz yesterday and bought all new protection - Knee, Elbow and Wrist (we already have helmets).
We previously ordered some sets on-line, but upon arrival they turned out to be ill-fitting junk. Back they went.
After an hour or so trying stuff on with the advice of the Skate Shop Owner, we spent 3 times the original cost, but ended up with much better gear.
I've been motorcycling since I was 6, and we have a saying ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time), seems logical to apply the same discipline in skating.

Jim
Jim welcome to the boards, sorry to hear about your wife. hve fun skating with your daughter, not sure what type of skating your going to be doing but try to find smooth surfaces if your outside. enjoy
Old August 8th, 2018, 10:04 PM   #1865
zebra1922

Hi All, name isZebra (well not really but I've learnt on forums its not always good to use your real name, I posted some criticism of a coach a while back, meant to be anonymous and no names were mentioned, but it was figured out it was me and who I was talking about, so a lesson learnt). On here I'll be Z.

I'm a 40 something learner, enjoying skating again on quads for the first time since I was 11 as my daughter went to a skate party and loved it, and so did I. I can get around the rink OK, weave around the falling over kids, crossover turn anticlockwise, stop (occasionally) but everything else is on the todo list. Just looking at buying my first set of quads (maybe Ventro Pro and Airwaves wheels, advice from olisskateshop in Dorset) and looking forward to my daughters birthday party at the local rink and some lessons in September, main aim is I want to skate backwards!
zebra1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2018, 11:31 AM   #1866
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra1922 View Post
Hi All, name isZebra (well not really but I've learnt on forums its not always good to use your real name, I posted some criticism of a coach a while back, meant to be anonymous and no names were mentioned, but it was figured out it was me and who I was talking about, so a lesson learnt). On here I'll be Z.

I'm a 40 something learner, enjoying skating again on quads for the first time since I was 11 as my daughter went to a skate party and loved it, and so did I. I can get around the rink OK, weave around the falling over kids, crossover turn anticlockwise, stop (occasionally) but everything else is on the todo list. Just looking at buying my first set of quads (maybe Ventro Pro and Airwaves wheels, advice from olisskateshop in Dorset) and looking forward to my daughters birthday party at the local rink and some lessons in September, main aim is I want to skate backwards!
welcome to the boards Z,,,,,,,,,,as u learned never say anything about something u don't want known on any board online, can always come back to you one way of the other. learn and have fun here
Old August 13th, 2018, 05:03 AM   #1867
larryoracing

Smile Hey "Z" hope everything works out. We all

make mistakes. I have made many...lol! It's hard to be positive all the time...lol! So it's best when we don't have any pent up anger or disappointment when entering a Forum or making comments about anything to anybody.

But learning to go backwards.

Weave the feet in and out #1, together/at the same time going backwards.

2) Eventually get to the point where you can weave one foot/push, still going backwards...lol!

a) Then weave the other foot/push still going backwards...lol!

a1) You are pushing with the insides of the boot/skate.

3) Eventually you will get to the point where you actually push with the outside of the foot, but that is a advanced move.

Good luck.

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2018, 12:40 AM   #1868
djpemberton

Default Introduction

My name is Derrick. I played roller hockey as a kid, but hadn't skated for years up until 3 years ago. Then I began to try recreational outdoor inline speed and distance skating. I've been skating on Rollerblade Tempests 100s. I just got some Bont 3-point Jets. Unfortunately, I messed up the bearings upon installation (my first time to install bearings). I've repaired them to some degree and am skating again. I'm looking forward to interaction on the forum!
djpemberton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2018, 06:24 PM   #1869
darthblader

Welcome aboard, Derrick!
darthblader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2018, 12:02 PM   #1870
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpemberton View Post
My name is Derrick. I played roller hockey as a kid, but hadn't skated for years up until 3 years ago. Then I began to try recreational outdoor inline speed and distance skating. I've been skating on Rollerblade Tempests 100s. I just got some Bont 3-point Jets. Unfortunately, I messed up the bearings upon installation (my first time to install bearings). I've repaired them to some degree and am skating again. I'm looking forward to interaction on the forum!
enjoy the boards and have fun
Old August 22nd, 2018, 07:12 PM   #1871
ValerieAnne

Welcome to all the new members, sorry, it's been so long since I visited, that there have been too many of you to welcome individually. Yay!!! That's great news though!
ValerieAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2018, 01:10 PM   #1872
nomoore

Hi everyone,
My name is Nick. I learned to skate in quads when I was a little kid and I've owned roller blades off and on throughout my adult life. I'm 38 now. I recently skated at a local roller rink and fell in love with quads again. I'm looking forward to learning more than the basic moves and maybe even learning some kind of dance.
nomoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2018, 12:10 PM   #1873
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoore View Post
Hi everyone,
My name is Nick. I learned to skate in quads when I was a little kid and I've owned roller blades off and on throughout my adult life. I'm 38 now. I recently skated at a local roller rink and fell in love with quads again. I'm looking forward to learning more than the basic moves and maybe even learning some kind of dance.
Nick have fun back on quads, enjoy the rink and the boards,,,,welcome
Old October 10th, 2018, 04:14 AM   #1874
JerryR708

Hi, I'm Jerry 49 years old and excited to be here and can't wait to get back into skating again. It has been about 30 years since I last skated which was on Rollerblade Macro blades. I took my wife Danielle to the local skating rink just 10 miles away and glad to see there was WOOD FLOORS. I had speed skated in quad rentals like it was just yesterday with crossovers.
Now we are buying Riedell quad skates and will be picking them up in a week. We will be exercising with them in our garage for our new work outs and learning new styles for the skating rink. No more just going around in circles like the old days.

I already have a check list I'm creating with all the basic moves that I need to learn and accomplish. We skated on Christian night and on the way out, we met this cool employee that offered to train us a few things next time we visit. He saw that reverse wasn't my strong point and offered to help when he sees me next time. I thought that was nice.
JerryR708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2018, 11:20 AM   #1875
rwsz

Welcome to the boards Jerry, enjoy.