S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old July 12th, 2018, 09:50 PM   #1
rhyfelwr

Default The big Powerslide Cruiser Face-Off...which is best?

Kaze 110 Supercruiser vs. Swell Megacruiser City 125 vs. Imperial Megacruiser Pro 125.

The Imperials are the heaviest... Swells the lightest so the Swells win there but I've heard rumours about narrow fit with both Swells and the Kaze shells.. creating painfull pressure points on ankles.

Has anyone got experience of any of these they'd like to share?

I'm just looking for a comfortable cruiser skate set for speed and fitness.
rhyfelwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2018, 03:16 PM   #2
Sniff

Default ankle Swells

I've had 100mm Swells for about five months now after I switched up from my Seba FR2s. I can't speak for the 125mm set-up, but I've found the boots chafe badly midway between the ankle and arch, creating hotspots and then blisters. Only now are they beginning to break in and feel ok after more than about an hour and a half of skating. I've spent a small fortune on Compeed blister plasters, and still use two pairs of sock, one thick and one thin. It's a real shame as I love everything else about these skates. The bigger wheels handle the lousy surfaces in parts of my city and have opened up lots of new routes that I would struggle to skate with smaller wheels.
Lle dych chi'n dod o, Rhyfelwr? Dwi yng Nghaerdydd. - Where are you from, Rhyfelwr? I'm in Cardiff.
Sniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2018, 01:19 PM   #3
rhyfelwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniff View Post
I've had 100mm Swells for about five months now after I switched up from my Seba FR2s. I can't speak for the 125mm set-up, but I've found the boots chafe badly midway between the ankle and arch, creating hotspots and then blisters. Only now are they beginning to break in and feel ok after more than about an hour and a half of skating. I've spent a small fortune on Compeed blister plasters, and still use two pairs of sock, one thick and one thin. It's a real shame as I love everything else about these skates. The bigger wheels handle the lousy surfaces in parts of my city and have opened up lots of new routes that I would struggle to skate with smaller wheels.
Lle dych chi'n dod o, Rhyfelwr? Dwi yng Nghaerdydd. - Where are you from, Rhyfelwr? I'm in Cardiff.
I'm a North Walean by birth - Llandegfan in Anglesey but my mother came from Ammanford near Swansea. Although both parents were Welsh speaking, they didn't teach me!!! That frustrates me to this day and I am trying to learn!

Rwyf nawr yn byw yn Stoke-on-Trent.

Great to hear the feedback on the Swells and it does confirm my fears about the Swell setup. I've heard the Kaze shell is based off the same mould? The chafing - is it on the insides only? Powerslide are claiming they've improved the fit with the newer Swell City 125s using memory foam and cutouts but I'm not convinced yet. Also, I'm dubious about about the velcro on the ankle strap - why not a micro buckle?

I already own a set of Powerslide Imperial SUVs which are great (I can go pretty much anywhere in them!) but they can't get up a lot of speed. I came originally off ice hockey skates so I'm used to travelling pretty quick!

Thanks again for your feedback.
Old July 17th, 2018, 11:46 PM   #4
Sniff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyfelwr View Post
I'm a North Walean by birth - Llandegfan in Anglesey but my mother came from Ammanford near Swansea. Although both parents were Welsh speaking, they didn't teach me!!! That frustrates me to this day and I am trying to learn!

Rwyf nawr yn byw yn Stoke-on-Trent.

Great to hear the feedback on the Swells and it does confirm my fears about the Swell setup. I've heard the Kaze shell is based off the same mould? The chafing - is it on the insides only? Powerslide are claiming they've improved the fit with the newer Swell City 125s using memory foam and cutouts but I'm not convinced yet. Also, I'm dubious about about the velcro on the ankle strap - why not a micro buckle?

I already own a set of Powerslide Imperial SUVs which are great (I can go pretty much anywhere in them!) but they can't get up a lot of speed. I came originally off ice hockey skates so I'm used to travelling pretty quick!

Thanks again for your feedback.
Yes, the rubbing is on the insides only. For me it's midway between ankle bone and arch, on both sides. At those points it's actually possible to feel the hard superstructure of the skates through the padding - not a good design. I skated with a group in Worcester at the weekend and one of the skaters there (125mm) has a similar problem, but right on the inside ankle bones. As yet the velcro ankle strap has proved reliable - as has everything else about the skates bar the blisters. Looking forward to hooking up with Birmingham Skaters on the 27th. Got my first marathon on the 29th at Dorney Lakes - I bet your SUVs would cruise it! Let us know what you go for. A phob lwc gyda'r dysgu'r Gymraeg!
Sniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2018, 01:00 PM   #5
rhyfelwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniff View Post
Yes, the rubbing is on the insides only. For me it's midway between ankle bone and arch, on both sides. At those points it's actually possible to feel the hard superstructure of the skates through the padding - not a good design. I skated with a group in Worcester at the weekend and one of the skaters there (125mm) has a similar problem, but right on the inside ankle bones. As yet the velcro ankle strap has proved reliable - as has everything else about the skates bar the blisters. Looking forward to hooking up with Birmingham Skaters on the 27th. Got my first marathon on the 29th at Dorney Lakes - I bet your SUVs would cruise it! Let us know what you go for. A phob lwc gyda'r dysgu'r Gymraeg!
I also get rubbing at the same place on my imperials - maybe it's a Powerslide thing?

Unfortunately, my SUV's aren't really suitable for long distances. I got them specifically to work hard over short distances - It's a time thing. I can get a good 180 BPM for about an hour and burn almost 700 calories which suits me fine.

I'm hoping the new skate choice will give me back some of that speed and grace!

Rwy'n credu y bydd dysgu Cymraeg yn un o'r pethau anoddaf yr wyf wedi gorfod ei wneud erioed!
Old August 2nd, 2018, 06:05 PM   #6
shesk8

Out of these 3...

Kaze offers a better fit, and still provides a stiff boot. You can interchange the off-road set up with a 3x110 or 3x125 wheel frame.

Swell boots are slightly more soft/flexy than the Kaze, which can allow foot movement inside the boots, creating friction on the ankles, and that is not ideal for larger wheels.

Imperial is a hard-shell offering the most support, but heavier, and the liner may or may not be suitable.

In general 3x110's are more than adequate for these types of skates. Urban skating requires quick movements, nimbleness, and agility, and having larger wheel base and heavier wheels is counter-productive. The higher 125mm wheels also rather force you to shorten the stride, as edging is foreshortened. While 125's are great for straight on trail skating, they're not so great for cruising around town.
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote