S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old March 20th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #21
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by missgeorgieo View Post
Absolutely- I think my hawaiian shirt is very sexy- denim mini skirt, tight vest top & my h-shirt undone is a very sexy look imo
Oh BEHAVE!

(ahem.... you know I really don't mean that..... right?? )
Old March 20th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #22
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!

Default My New Boen Speed review!

Very nice.!!!
cojaco61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #23
missgeorgieo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Oh BEHAVE!

(ahem.... you know I really don't mean that..... right?? )
Lol Two weeks til I'm free from work for a fortnight! I will be gracing the parks decked out like that as often as it stays dry. If I get my outdoor wheels & rear stopper sorted in time...

Btw you've sold me on those plates - that setup looks awesome! Shame we don't have so much choice on equipment in the UK without incurring huge shipping fees. I'm working on it. Trying to get my outdoor setup ready first. Still bumbing around on starter skates in the rink, but I read so much good stuff about those plates, they will be the ones I get when I make a start on my indoor build
missgeorgieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #24
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Boens are boring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojaco61 View Post
Very nice.!!!
Please... We are not discussing Boens here... Besides, they are not as much fun to sk8 as the ones under discussion are...
Old March 20th, 2010, 11:16 PM   #25
danm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
To those waiting for your DA45's, I recommend you go shopping. What for? For board shorts and a matching tank top. Wha?? Oh, and download that song Wipeout and listen to it before you go skating. Hawaiian Tropic sunblock always puts me in a beach state of mind. Oh, .... Why? Because it is just not fair calling skating with a DA45 skating. It is more "surfing the hardwood". (or concrete, as the case may be) The lean angles just scream "surf's up dude". So, barring the shorts and tank top, at least get a LOUD Hawaiian shirt. Maybe you could start a beach bash night at your local rink? This could be great for the guys, as babes always like dressing up stuff like this.

As for you guys still waiting for YOUR DA45's, you KNOW I am just messin with ya now.
I'm glad you love your plates! BUT... Rollerskating should never be compared to surfing... skateboarding sure...
Old March 20th, 2010, 11:38 PM   #26
niteridr95

Quote:
Lol Two weeks til I'm free from work for a fortnight! I will be gracing the parks decked out like that as often as it stays dry. If I get my outdoor wheels & rear stopper sorted in time...

Btw you've sold me on those plates - that setup looks awesome! Shame we don't have so much choice on equipment in the UK without incurring huge shipping fees. I'm working on it. Trying to get my outdoor setup ready first. Still bumbing around on starter skates in the rink, but I read so much good stuff about those plates, they will be the ones I get when I make a start on my indoor build
gey ahold of a few of the forum members that sell things and they will gladly ship to the UK for a fair price
Old March 21st, 2010, 12:07 AM   #27
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by danm View Post
I'm glad you love your plates! BUT... Rollerskating should never be compared to surfing... skateboarding sure...
LOL. No disrespect intended. I'm just saying, this plate is pretty darn good.
Old March 21st, 2010, 12:34 AM   #28
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!

Default I am just stirring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
Please... We are not discussing Boens here... Besides, they are not as much fun to sk8 as the ones under discussion are...
Did you not get the joke?
Old March 21st, 2010, 12:57 AM   #29
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!

Default Ok sorry!

Was just having a little dig at the length of the review.

I have but one question. Do they come in NTS?
Old March 21st, 2010, 01:26 AM   #30
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:

Magnums only come with a toe stop. I do recall seeing a post on where someone sawed them off. Good luck with that as the plates are magnesium. No power tools here for fear of lighting these things up like a firework.

As for the length of the review, better get a shovel to dig with. The review CONTINUES.
Old March 21st, 2010, 01:29 AM   #31
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Default Installment #4 RANDOM SKATING (echo echo)

So Friday nights, when I am not picking up my daughter, are usually my Moonlight Rollerway night. Despite the fact that I skated Sunday (FV), Monday (ML), Tuesday (ML), Wednesday (practicing toe turns in my bedroom), Thursday (FV), and considering that I typically only skate twice a week, I decided it would just not be right to "deprive" myself of my every other week Friday night skate. (yes, the new skate "high" is still in effect) So, off to Glendale I went.

I like Moonlight on a Friday. It is usually a good mix of folk. Some kids, tweens, teens, young adults, parents with kids, and the regulars. I get to cruise around through traffic at a modest pace. Being that I am at home with my Dad most all the time, I need to get out and "see" people, and I get my harder faster skating done at Fountain Valley. This Friday, however, was KA-RAY-ZEEE. If people were cars, this night would have made several body shops VERY happy. The crashes were plentiful in number and variety. 2 good wall crashes, one with a good bounce off the wall and flop on the floor, a pretty spectacular solo rail crash, a couple of fast skaters mixed it up on the rail with a LOT of flailing and attempts to avoid going down before finally falling, with thick traffic around them while it happened. There were multiple multiple person pile ups. Not goofy ones either. Just friends skating too close together and someone made a mistake. I saw, what I think, was the best side flop ever. A generously proportioned gal lost it, and went down on her left side. She had great extension, left arm straight up as she hit, and gotta award points for the fact that she got right back up and kept skating. A rather attractive 20 something gal did a good head first baseball slide right in front of me. A quick flick of the DA45's got me around that. (too bad she was with a fella ) While all this was going on, the regulars just skated and exchanged bemused looks and shrugs with one another. It was just ONE OF THOSE NIGHTS. In the end, it was all good, as no one got hurt. Well, one tween went down and was crying pretty hard. I think she was with a birthday party. She was quickly scooped up by a parent and taken off the floor. I saw her later, skates still on getting hugs from about a dozen of her friends.

So, there was not much notable skating done by me Friday. I did not even enjoy the fast backward skate much, as after skating for 30 minutes, I was still not warmed up. (well actually, there was a 2 lap period where me and another skater were skating very close together. I was in front and as I was making cuts back and forth, he just seemed to be on the same page as me. It kinda looked like we were shuffle skating in reverse. I think he was trying to go a different way than me, but we just kept making the same moves ) I had too much skate for the conditions. It also highlighted something that I was expecting. Me and my new skates are still getting to know one another. I was lucky in my first several skates, getting to explore and enjoy some of the higher performance aspects of the DA45. What I do not yet have, and probably will not have for 3 or 4 weeks, is a fine command and comfort level with my skates in all situations, such as really slow and crowded.

So, finally, enough of the color commentary and now a bit of meat. I am going to comment a bit on the short plate. I pretty much had this impression of the short plate since the first time skating, but I did not want to comment on it too soon as I wanted to see how my impression would change, or not change, after I skated the skate at least a few times. One of the concerns I had with the short plate before I decided to get one was how would it do skating backwards. When I first read about the short plate, it immediately appealed to me. Let me first say that some of the ways I do things on skates are not technically correct. I am now realizing that part of the reason I do some of these odd things is because I had skates that did not perform well enough to allow me to learn to do things correctly. Take for instance, a front to back turn. Watch a good skater, one who can do couples dance skating, and watch how they do a front to back turn. They will glide on one foot, lets say the right foot, and then step back with the left, shifting their weight back to the left foot and then bring the right foot in line with the left. The method I use, because of the limitations of my old skates, is to keep both feet down. I would lift my right toe, push my right heel forward, and sweep my left foot back. Those of you who know how to spin will recognize this move. It is one of the ways to spin. One toe, one heel. Now that I am able to glide nicely on one foot on my new skates, I can practice the right way to do a front to back and have both methods in my repertoire. But, my oddball style of skating is what drew me to the short plate idea. With my quirky front to back style, I often groused about the fact that I wished my heel was more responsive. I felt like I was fighting it. So when I read about moving the rear axle forward, that really registered with me. More so than the idea that a shorter plate will turn tighter than a long one. (to me that was just an added plus) But, again, I wondered how it would do going backward. Well, to make a long story short, it does great. As a matter of fact, the short plate does great in all aspects of SKATING. Now, why did I cap the word skating? Because I want to highlight that the short plate is fine while you are actively skating. It's when you are not skating (standing around), or when coasting and get your weight back, that the short plate gets your attention. I skate for recreation and exercise, and I like to skate hard, especially at Fountain Valley. So at times, after going hard and my legs are burning, I coast, my mind wanders, my knees lock because my legs are spent, and I get too much weight back on my heels. I sometimes get too much weight on my heels when just standing around. These are the only times that the short plate gets my attention in a bad way, and it really isn't the short plates' fault, just a bit of bad habit on my part.

So then, why do skate manufacturers spec such a long plate? I suppose with beginners in mind. It provides a bit more stability. Jumping may be another reason. About the only jumping I would be likely to do is a little 2 inch hop when they play Van Halen's Jump. I have seen comments regarding the short plate calling it natural. With that, I agree. I came into short plate skating with a cautious mind. I keep thinking to myself, watch out for your heel, watch out for the short plate. I am in no hurry to banish those thoughts from my mind. At least not until I am fully comfortable and familiar with the skate, and a few of my bad habits fade.
Old March 21st, 2010, 02:12 AM   #32
scubask8tr

Nice work Rufus ,I got plenty of time to read a detailed and interesting review.
scubask8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 04:50 AM   #33
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default NTS??

Quote:

The Magnum, NO...But there are other DA-45s w/NTS available.... Did you miss this??

Old March 21st, 2010, 05:11 AM   #34
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!

Default Didn't miss!

Just don't like the look of them. Shallow aren't I, lol.

They look cheap and nasty. I prefer the look of the Magnums. If they had an NTS, but they don't so.........
Old March 21st, 2010, 05:23 AM   #35
Hot Lips

Last I checked, plates were for skating on, not admiring. Who cares what they look like, so long as they perform?

Cass38a did a nice job de-stopper-ising his Magnums, if that's what you want. Or keep an eye out on eBay here for a set of the one-piece Wallabies if you don't like plate-n-hanger; they'll take the DA-45 trucks. There are plenty of options out there, most of them more attractive than derailing yet another thread with whining.
I guess we should just be grateful you haven't started in on "Aussie mounts are The One True Way" - that's boring too (and I say that as an Aussie on Aussie-mounted skates, who hates to think how much worse it might sound to others who like the way THEIR skates, you know, skate).
Hot Lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 06:07 AM   #36
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Just don't like the look of them. Shallow aren't I, lol.

They look cheap and nasty. I prefer the look of the Magnums. If they had an NTS, but they don't so.........
Its funny, when Gle8 first posted pictures of the Magnums, I was a little taken aback. The reason is that the Magnums' did not have the jump bar. I was just SO used to seeing various DA45 skates with a jump bar of one sort or another. The Magnums looked..... naked or something. I went so far as to email Sure-Grip to ask them about it. They said the jump bar was not needed on the Magnum plate. On receiving the skates, I can see a nice centerline ridge that runs from one king pin mount to the other, and from the king pin mount to the pivot pin mount for that matter. Now I do not mind the look of any of the other DA45 platforms, but I gotta admit, now that you bring it up, the Magnum does have a sort of clean, almost elegant look to it. My toe stop kills the look, though. It would look better with a jam plug. A jam plug is on my list for possible mods in the future as I think I will dabble a bit in some simple jam skating moves. Problem is, while I don't really need a toe stop, I do like it and make use of it. Also too bad that the purple cushion were not a lighter shade so you could see the color from a distance. But at the end of the day, I guess I am more of a function over form guy. If I look down at someone's skate, see a jump bar and a truck with 2 cushions sitting at the right angle, the first thought in my mind will be sweet!
Old March 21st, 2010, 06:25 AM   #37
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:

Cool. You won't regret going with some flavor of DA45s. niteridr95 is right too. One of the folks who do builds here could do it for as reasonable a price as anywhere else. And, you might really want someone here to do it as you should at least go down one plate size from normal, as the DA45 stretches the wheelbase just a bit. I actually went down 3 plate sizes, from a 7 to a 4. Going down one plate size is more like getting the right size, 2 sizes just a bit short, and 3 sizes to get the real short plate treatment.
Old March 21st, 2010, 09:29 AM   #38
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!

Default Let me apologise!

Sorry, went a bit over the top with the cheap and nasty comment.

Was not whining, or trying to derail a thread. If taken that way I am sorry.

I suppose I have been spoilt by skating plates that are not only beautiful performing but also beautiful looking. Boen and Galaxy.

It is just a shame those Magnums don't come NTS. Perhaps someone in the know over there should contact the manufacturers and suggest that they could possibly be cutting their market down by only offering stoppered versions. But hey just a thought.

As for the other 45 degree plates with the jump bar. It just reminded me of the old Wallaby plates, which were a cheap option before I discovered and could afford Boens.

Guess I just was on in a stirring frame of mind. Sometimes I can be a real prick. Guess that is why I am single again, lol.

So once again sorry for any feather ruffling.
Old March 21st, 2010, 09:58 AM   #39
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Sorry, went a bit over the top with the cheap and nasty comment.

Was not whining, or trying to derail a thread. If taken that way I am sorry.

I suppose I have been spoilt by skating plates that are not only beautiful performing but also beautiful looking. Boen and Galaxy.

It is just a shame those Magnums don't come NTS. Perhaps someone in the know over there should contact the manufacturers and suggest that they could possibly be cutting their market down by only offering stoppered versions. But hey just a thought.

As for the other 45 degree plates with the jump bar. It just reminded me of the old Wallaby plates, which were a cheap option before I discovered and could afford Boens.

Guess I just was on in a stirring frame of mind. Sometimes I can be a real prick. Guess that is why I am single again, lol.

So once again sorry for any feather ruffling.
No problem here. The aluminum jump bar version reminded you of something you did not like. I do that with certain female names. (won't say which. I just find some excuse to be somewhere else if I run into one ) I am new to better skate equipment myself. What I see when I look at any of the 45 family is performance, and performance is beautiful.
Old March 21st, 2010, 10:03 AM   #40
cass38a

Somebody should tell sure grip to start making Magnesium plates again, the toe stops can always be ground off if they don't comply. Whilst they are at it they can resurect some other cool old plates in Mag and cast up some of these DA trucks.

By the way Colin I liked your review. Perhaps you could start a thread of one line reviews for all your equipment.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote