S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old September 24th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #1
NatalieBreaux

Exclamation New Riedell 965 Minx! Derby!

Hello All,
I have recently joined a roller derby team (a really good one at that!), and I am looking at new quads to purchase. My skating ability is fairly decent even though I haven't skated in years. I can already tell the difference between a nice pair of skates and a not so nice pair since I previously used to inline speed skate when I was younger. I want good quality. I want a boot that will not kill my feet. I want a skates that will allow me to play to the best of my ability.
My main concern right now is figuring out which brand and style of boot to go with. I have noticed that Riedell has come out with a new boot made specifically for derby girls. It's called the 965 Minx. Has anyone skated on this boot yet, and if so, what are your thoughts about this boot??? Also, to all derby and quad skaters, what are your recommendations on all of the Riedell and Bont Boots??? I have checked all of them out and I am really interested in the Riedell Model 911 and 811 (not sure about how low it is on the ankle, but really interested that it might allow me to get more speed). I'm fairly interested in Riedell's 695, 595, 395, and 265. As for as bont goes, I am interested in all of their boots (derby, black widow, quad racer carbon, quad racer and quad racer leather.)
Other information that might be relevant to your reply:
1. Don't include price into your consideration.
2. I have an extremely small foot. (4.5 size boot?)
3. I like to skate fast.
4. I have no clue what position am I going to play in derby.

ANY information is GREATLY appreciated!!!
Thanks for your time and replies,
Natalie
NatalieBreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #2
Svusch

I don't have a lot to offer in boot input, but there are these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Riedell-595-Kang...d=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/Riedell-295-Kang...d=p3286.c0.m14
Svusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 04:55 PM   #3
FanJet8
Shadow Sk8r

Default Boot choice

I currently skate the vintage 595 kango that I've had since 1985. Great feel very soft and it has held up for years. I just sold a 395 that felt good as well. My preference is Riedell 395, 595 and 911. These three meet my criteria, no heels, boot for ankle support and made to last if you take care of them. The only other boot I would consider would be a Oberhamer which are not made any more. I hopr this helps.
FanJet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 04:55 PM   #4
A-Town Sk8er
theultimateskatesupply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svusch View Post
And those are both VERY good boots and should hold up pretty well for derby! And at that price.... you CANT go wrong!!
A-Town Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 04:55 PM   #5
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svusch View Post
Those 595's are sweet! With the money you save you can invest in better plates, too.
Fresh Eddie Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 04:58 PM   #6
NatalieBreaux

Talking

Thanks so much for your reply Fresh Eddie, but I am looking to buy new boots! I will definitely pass this information on if needed though!

To FanJet8: what is the difference in skating with heels vs. no heels and why do you prefer to skate with no heals?

Last edited by NatalieBreaux; September 24th, 2008 at 05:01 PM. Reason: updated
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:01 PM   #7
Gle8
I'm Contrary. Moo.

The first question you should ask yourself: counters or no counters. If you want counters, go with a Riedell and pick the model that is most appealing to you. 595/395 being the stiffest, then the 911, then the 195/811. If you don't want counters, go with the Bont Quad Racer. And if you want the ultimate in heel support, go with the Bont Derby.

Most people that recommend a riedell haven't skated anything else and are just used to having to break in a stiff stiff stiff counter. Keep that in mind
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #8
A-Town Sk8er
theultimateskatesupply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gle8 View Post
The first question you should ask yourself: counters or no counters. If you want counters, go with a Riedell and pick the model that is most appealing to you. 595/395 being the stiffest, then the 911, then the 195/811. If you don't want counters, go with the Bont Quad Racer. And if you want the ultimate in heel support, go with the Bont Derby.

Most people that recommend a riedell haven't skated anything else and are just used to having to break in a stiff stiff stiff counter. Keep that in mind
Why would anyone wanna go counterless in derby? I mean im no expert and hardly know anything about derby but i assume with the sharp turns and quick start/stops.... you would like your foot to be held in place by a counter...
A-Town Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #9
Gle8
I'm Contrary. Moo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Town Sk8er View Post
Why would anyone wanna go counterless in derby? I mean im no expert and hardly know anything about derby but i assume with the sharp turns and quick start/stops.... you would like your foot to be held in place by a counter...
Ever skated a counterless boot?

And let me clarify as well: there is a difference between a tall stiff counter (595) and a short comfy counter (Bont Quad Racer). You don't need to go fully counterless (though I prefer to). I can't skate a 595 because the counter kills my foot on a derby track, even with loose loose trucks.

Counters don't always hold your foot in place, they more provide a "stopping point" that your foot can't go past. This is easily created with the right suspension, negating the need for counters. And a tight fitting boot with no counters is much more comfy for derby than one with. You get better efficiency riding the plates than from the restrictiveness of a high stiff counter.

At least, in my experience.

I've also had girls that I've put in a 595 complain about it as well. Grented, they were coming from inferior boots, and had to break em in. My biggest gripe being the break in period. My gf is still having issues with the counter, and it's been about 6 months.
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #10
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieBreaux View Post
Thanks so much for your reply Fresh Eddie, but I am looking to buy new boots! I will definitely pass this information on if needed though!
You are so very welcome... if you are looking for new-new boots, I would still recommend the current production 595 for derby. People say the leather on the old ones is pretty awesome, though!

In response to the above, I have a couple of pairs of the 811s and I love them. I know the lower boots do not suit everyone, so if you can try them out before buying, it might be a safer bet.
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:24 PM   #11
FanJet8
Shadow Sk8r

Default No heels vs. heels

I tried a pair of 265's years ago and it's like someone else posted I felt like I was on my toes and it felt odd leaning in a corner on my toes. When I'm skating and my feet are almost flat I feel more balanced and in control, but it's what you like and prefer. I thought about a boot with a smaller heel like the 122's but I n ever got around to trying one. It's just what I like, you have to make your own decision because it's your money and feet. A good boot can make a big difference on how you skate especially after 2 to 3 hours skating.
FanJet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #12
NatalieBreaux

Question To Gle8

First off, what is a counter? I am assuming that it is the lip around the top of the boot that you have to break in. Tell me if I'm right or wrong. Also, I don't mind having to break in the boot considering that I will have some time since "test ups" aren't offered until Jan/Feb. And, I'm sure heel support is a great thing, but what does it actually do and how much should I look for this in a boot? Lastly, why the bont derby over the bont carbon?
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #13
NatalieBreaux

Default Counter vs. counterless

Gle8, I'm glad you mentioned something about having a counterless boot. This is one of my main concerns. I don't want to go with anything too high because I believe that it will inhibit my ability to skate faster. I see that the 395 and the 811 that Riedell are very similar except that the 811 is counterless...And to answer your question...I've never skated in a counterless boot nor do I think anyone on the team has any! This could be diffucult.

Last edited by NatalieBreaux; September 24th, 2008 at 05:34 PM. Reason: updated
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #14
Gle8
I'm Contrary. Moo.

Quote:
First off, what is a counter? I am assuming that it is the lip around the top of the boot that you have to break in. Tell me if I'm right or wrong. Also, I don't mind having to break in the boot considering that I will have some time since "test ups" aren't offered until Jan/Feb. And, I'm sure heel support is a great thing, but what does it actually do and how much should I look for this in a boot? Lastly, why the bont derby over the bont carbon?
the counter is the stiff part of the boot that goes from the middle of the side of your foot, around the back of the heel, and back down the other side. It usually goes all the way up to just below the ankle.

I prefer the Bont Quad Racer Carbon, but the Bont Derby Carbon will provide more support. Personally, I'd try them both on before making a purchase.
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #15
Gle8
I'm Contrary. Moo.

Quote:
Gle8, I'm glad you mentioned something about having a counterless boot. This is one of my main concerns. I don't want to go with anything too high because I believe that it will inhibit my ability to skate faster. I see that the 395 and the 811 that Riedell are very similar except that the 811 is counterless...And to answer your question...I've never skated in a counterless boot nor do I think anyone on the team has any! This could be diffucult.
the 195 and 811 will have a significantly faster break in time, and (IMO) are much more confortable.
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:36 PM   #16
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Quote:
Gle8, I'm glad you mentioned something about having a counterless boot. This is one of my main concerns. I don't want to go with anything too high because I believe that it will inhibit my ability to skate faster. I see that the 395 and the 811 that Riedell are very similar except that the 811 is counterless...
My 811s have a counter, but it is only in the heel area... my 395s have a larger counter that goes along the side of the right boot, too (for going fast and to the left.)

Different people like different things, but I would imagine a boot with a counter in it would hold up much better to the rigors of derby. Then again, Aerobiskates do not have counters in them and I adore those....
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:38 PM   #17
Gle8
I'm Contrary. Moo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Eddie Fresh View Post
My 811s have a counter, but it is only in the heel area... my 395s have a larger counter that goes along the side of the right boot, too (for going fast and to the left.)

Different people like different things, but I would imagine a boot with a counter in it would hold up much better to the rigors of derby. Then again, Aerobiskates do not have counters in them and I adore those....
Aerobiskates don't have counters, AND they mean business......nuff said.
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:39 PM   #18
NatalieBreaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gle8 View Post
the counter is the stiff part of the boot that goes from the middle of the side of your foot, around the back of the heel, and back down the other side. It usually goes all the way up to just below the ankle.

I prefer the Bont Quad Racer Carbon, but the Bont Derby Carbon will provide more support. Personally, I'd try them both on before making a purchase.

I would if I could but I know of no one who has either of the two! I don't like feeling like I am going to make a blind purchase, but I have a feeling that that is what is going to end up happening.
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #19
sk8rmom

Quote:

2. I have an extremely small foot. (4.5 size boot?)

I don't have much to add really since I only watch derby. But with all the bigfoots on here I wanted you to know you are not the only one with a very small foot. In fact, a 4.5 would be too big for me. I wear a 4, but could probably comfortably skate a 3.5. I can fit my foot in a 3 and skate it, but my toes are a little cramped. That's a 3 with a heel though so it could be because my foot shifts forward a little. A 3 with little to no heel might be manageable.

I know you probably can't try on others skates either to see what you would like since you wear a small size. I have the same problem and it bites.

Other than that, I think the others have given you good advice. Good luck with your search.
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:42 PM   #20
Gle8
I'm Contrary. Moo.

Quote:
I would if I could but I know of no one who has either of the two! I don't like feeling like I am going to make a blind purchase, but I have a feeling that that is what is going to end up happening.
where are you located?