S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old January 17th, 2017, 09:23 PM   #1801
g29guy

Default Newbie, hello to all

Hello,
First post here. Got the 2 little ones(5 and 6)their first starter skates. Found the wife almost new rock gt-50 with claws wheels for 17 bucks at play it again sports. She wants moxie outdoor lollys for in the future.

I'm building skates for fun at the rink.
mounted dress shoes to some competitor plates, bones reds bearings and bones 101a wheels. pic in avatar.

I live in Ga and enjoy hunting and fishing and pretty much all outdoor activities
Old January 17th, 2017, 11:29 PM   #1802
bigred875

Quote:
Originally Posted by g29guy View Post
Hello,
First post here. Got the 2 little ones(5 and 6)their first starter skates. Found the wife almost new rock gt-50 with claws wheels for 17 bucks at play it again sports. She wants moxie outdoor lollys for in the future.

I'm building skates for fun at the rink.
mounted dress shoes to some competitor plates, bones reds bearings and bones 101a wheels. pic in avatar.

I live in Ga and enjoy hunting and fishing and pretty much all outdoor activities
welcome from a fellow noob.. do you have any pics of your skates? I didn't realize you could do that (don't laugh...I'm a noob) ..i've gone down a could youtube wormholes and have seen people with what looked like dress shoes (gators?) ....what kind of skating do you do with them?
bigred875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 12:46 AM   #1803
Cadillac59

Roll em like you stole em! It's Will here. I'm new to the forum. Just wanted to say hi and to thank yall for having me here. Stay loose stay young live happy
Cadillac59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 04:33 AM   #1804
g29guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred875 View Post
welcome from a fellow noob.. do you have any pics of your skates? I didn't realize you could do that (don't laugh...I'm a noob) ..i've gone down a could youtube wormholes and have seen people with what looked like dress shoes (gators?) ....what kind of skating do you do with them?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/150933...7679144174975/

I haven't skated them yet. hope to next day or two.
Old January 19th, 2017, 10:38 PM   #1805
Sloperut

Hi, my name is Jeff and I am turning 60 in March. I have flirted with skates (ice and inline) all my life but never have been consistent; however, I am giving it a shot. So, as a victory roll, of sorts, for reaching 60 (I also have survived two open heart surgeries and 3 x stage 4 bouts of leukemia) I am going to participate in the Salt Lake Marathon 10K skate this April. I have no intent to be fast but am looking forward to having a lot of fun.

I am a pretty avid runner with a number of half marathons completed and a Ragnar so I only have to change my fitness to skate focused. I have been doing squats, single leg squats, and low walks, plus a few other things, at least 3 days a week to strengthen skate vs. running muscles. And of course, skating when I can when it is not snowing. We are fortunate to have the 2002 Winter Games ice oval here in Salt lake so I hope to be doing some training on ice when the weather is crappy.

My skates are some older Rollerblade Lightning 05's on 84mm wheels.

Anyways, I'll be poking around and might be asking a few questions here and there.

Cheers, Jeff
Sloperut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2017, 01:04 AM   #1806
bigred875

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloperut View Post
Hi, my name is Jeff and I am turning 60 in March. I have flirted with skates (ice and inline) all my life but never have been consistent; however, I am giving it a shot. So, as a victory roll, of sorts, for reaching 60 (I also have survived two open heart surgeries and 3 x stage 4 bouts of leukemia) I am going to participate in the Salt Lake Marathon 10K skate this April. I have no intent to be fast but am looking forward to having a lot of fun.

I am a pretty avid runner with a number of half marathons completed and a Ragnar so I only have to change my fitness to skate focused. I have been doing squats, single leg squats, and low walks, plus a few other things, at least 3 days a week to strengthen skate vs. running muscles. And of course, skating when I can when it is not snowing. We are fortunate to have the 2002 Winter Games ice oval here in Salt lake so I hope to be doing some training on ice when the weather is crappy.

My skates are some older Rollerblade Lightning 05's on 84mm wheels.

Anyways, I'll be poking around and might be asking a few questions here and there.

Cheers, Jeff
welcome and good luck!
bigred875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2017, 08:04 AM   #1807
goraman

Default New member intro

Hi my name is Jeff ,
I'm one of the old guys who skates with my family,
You know the guy who looks lost and gets in everyone's way on the rink.
When I'm not skating I sit and eat nachos and yell Hee! Hee! when people fall.
I am at a point in life where I find it fun to slip the DJ a few bucks to play a song that will annoy the teeny boppers, for no better reason than they are young and annoying me.

Hey, every one needs to have something....
goraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2017, 10:30 AM   #1808
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by goraman View Post
Hi my name is Jeff ,
I'm one of the old guys who skates with my family,
You know the guy who looks lost and gets in everyone's way on the rink.
When I'm not skating I sit and eat nachos and yell Hee! Hee! when people fall.
I am at a point in life where I find it fun to slip the DJ a few bucks to play a song that will annoy the teeny boppers, for no better reason than they are young and annoying me.

Hey, every one needs to have something....
Welcome aboard. I'm pretty sure that nacho cheese is a petroleum product. You know you are required to skate any song you request. So....... just curious. What song anoys the kids? I'm sure I'd love to skate them (I could be wrong on that, but prolly not)
Old January 21st, 2017, 02:44 AM   #1809
goraman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Welcome aboard. I'm pretty sure that nacho cheese is a petroleum product. You know you are required to skate any song you request. So....... just curious. What song anoys the kids? I'm sure I'd love to skate them (I could be wrong on that, but prolly not)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf6xE1_9hoM
goraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 07:34 PM   #1810
Derrick

Quote:
Oh thats terrible.
Old January 29th, 2017, 01:25 PM   #1811
g29guy

Default great idea!

Quote:
I'm definitely going to clear the rink with a song like this!

And Goraman, welcome to the forum!

Last edited by g29guy; January 29th, 2017 at 01:36 PM. Reason: added a welcome
g29guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 10:01 PM   #1812
4ofus

Hi, my name is Jeramy and I live in the suburbs of Pittsburgh. Turning 43 this year and have been skating on and off over the last 25 years with some long breaks in between unfortunately.

I've been on the weight loss roller coaster for the past decade or so and bloomed to a whopping 345lbs back in 2008. I've since lost about 130 lbs with diet and exercise. I love mountain biking but can't fit that into my schedule often enough so I'm getting back into skating. I much prefer outdoor fitness over my gym whenever possible so this will be great for me.

Currently I'm using a very old pair of Mission hockey skates that I've had forever. They kill my feet so I can only tolerate short sessions. Waiting on a new pair of powerslide megacruisers to arrive this week. I don't have any major goals other than to become an above intermediate level skater. We have some great parks, paved river trails and skate friendly bike lanes downtown. I hope to get my skills to a point where I can explore freely and do so safely.
4ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 11:44 PM   #1813
g29guy

Default Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ofus View Post
They kill my feet so I can only tolerate short sessions.
My feet were hurting shortly into sessions, and I found by wearing my skates an hour a day for a week weather skating or not helped the muscles in ankles and feet to work better together. Now I just have to work on my actual ankle strength but that takes skating and time.

Welcome, and congratulations on your success with weight so far.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 09:31 PM   #1814
4ofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by g29guy View Post
My feet were hurting shortly into sessions, and I found by wearing my skates an hour a day for a week weather skating or not helped the muscles in ankles and feet to work better together. Now I just have to work on my actual ankle strength but that takes skating and time.

Welcome, and congratulations on your success with weight so far.
Thanks! Oddly enough the hockey skates have always bothered me. I think I need some arch support. My ice hockey skates are the same brand but I can skate for hours with no discomfort. Guess that means a new pair might be in my future.
4ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2017, 01:43 PM   #1815
g29guy

Default new skates in the future for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ofus View Post
Thanks! Oddly enough the hockey skates have always bothered me. I think I need some arch support. My ice hockey skates are the same brand but I can skate for hours with no discomfort. Guess that means a new pair might be in my future.
Sounds like there is no choice but to go buy those skates you have always dreamed of.
Old March 6th, 2017, 02:17 PM   #1816
Vampyre

New here!

The wife and I recently went to a fundraising event at a skating rink, and I had forgotten how much fun it was when I was younger. We have both since bought skates and have a group of about 6 of us that have been doing a bi-weekly adult skate night. We also seem to be gaining interest from our other friends with kids, so we may be going a lot more in the future. Beats the gym, and I haven't fallen since the first event. Enjoying reading all the info on the forum that I never knew before.
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 07:30 PM   #1817
nickajshelden
Blades

Talking

Not my first post just quite, but I only just noticed the encouragement to introduce ourselves....

Nick "Blades" Shelden, North Tacoma, WA. I started skating March 7th, 2015 (almost exactly 2 years ago). I found it quite natural and played a season of hockey with the Chattanooga Hockey League. I bought a pair of Bonts in December, and have been thouroughly enjoying being able to out skate everyone I meet . I keep a wide selection of skates and try to keep in practice with many different styles and techniques.

I skate for leg toning and cardio and mainly for fun
me:

Skating trail: I like to commute around Tacoma, but the Ruston Way trail is conveniently close to my house, and I sometimes skate/bike down there and cruise along it.
These are my skates, excluding my beat-up rec skates (Roller Derby Europas....the older kind), my size-adjustable skates, and the detachable boot skates:

Feet (Yes, I have viteligo, but also almost no tan, so I can get away with it ):

I know this is a joke, but no particular reason not to...

I don't tend to crash, and when I do, I roll, and when I do, I tend to get minor non-visible injuries, and when I do, I don't take pictures.
Bikes (Not pictured are my 3-speed raligh from 1957 and my heavily modified Motebecane mirage 1972...and the 4 bikes that were stolen this year):

Last edited by nickajshelden; March 8th, 2017 at 06:22 PM. Reason: uploaded the rest of the pics
nickajshelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 08:06 PM   #1818
g29guy

Default Welcome

Nick and vampyre, Welcome!

Last edited by g29guy; March 6th, 2017 at 08:07 PM. Reason: typo
g29guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2017, 02:21 AM   #1819
MikeyG90

Default Hi :)

Hi, I'm Mike! I'm from Mission, Texas and I'm just getting back into skating after about 22yrs. I recently bought a pair of Powerslide Imperial Super Cruisers. I immediately swapped the 110mm wheels to 125mm. I skate for fun and fitness about 3 times a week. I'm married with a beautiful wife who is a competitive CrossFit athlete, a 4yr old daughter and 1 month old son. I'm happy to find a skating forum to be able to talk to fellow skate enthusiasts like me.
MikeyG90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2017, 07:21 PM   #1820
Coldyboy

Default The New One

Hello y'all, my name is Todd and I live just outside Kansas City.

I used to race mountain bikes, competitive trail running and adventure racing - but in actuality, I hate running on smooth Tarmac, just seems zombie-esque to me but I know plenty of people need it.

Anyhow, when living in North Carolina years ago, I rented a pair of inline skates and had a couple of nasty falls, so I viewed any type of skate as tools of the devil.

Beginning of March, exactly one year ago, I came up with idea to skate with my 7-yr old daughter, as she loves it. I started researching and found the benefits of skating, mainly cardio/all over body workout, etc and that had same benefits as running, without the impact.

Well this time I padded up and started slow in unfinished basement, after about three weeks, I ventured outside and needless to say, I am hooked. I have since bought three additional pairs of inline skates, each more costly than the previous pair. I'm also enthralled by wheels, constantly searching them out, looking for the next good deal, as I go through them.

I find skating entirely intoxicating, a blend of balance, speed, skills and maneuvers. In the past year, I've rarely ridden mountain bike, am probably going to sell my two motorcycles and haven't ran a lick. I very much enjoy the speed I myself generate more than the mototcycle, crazy for me.

I've had some tremendous wipeouts and crashes in the past year, from getting a bit too exuberant at times but aside from bloody wounds and being a few millimeters from needing skin grafts, it hasn't been any type of deterrent.

I have been to many parks, neighborhoods, city streets in area and have never seen another inline skater - I have at the three indoor roller rinks I've been to.

I appreciate the info I've found so far, skate often.
Coldyboy is offline   Reply With Quote