S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old November 2nd, 2014, 12:53 AM   #1641
Eleone

Hi everyone!

I'm Carmen, 28, from Madrid, Spain. I had never skated before until two months ago when I bough a cheap pair of artistic quad skates and I loved it. Those skates were really crappy and they're already falling apart, so I've just bough a pair of SureGrip Boardwalk online (quad skating is not very popular in my country so I don't have many options to buy here). I can't wait for my new skates to arrive and to try them on.

I skate outside, in a fenced basketball court, mostly because I'm not confident enough in my braking ability yet but also because there aren't many good places to skate in my city (either the asphalt is a mess or the place is too crowded with people walking their dogs and children playing...). Once I get confident (and skilled) enough, I may try to skate in a bicycle lane near my house. Until then, basketball court it is. I skate just for fun, no speed or fancy tricks for me (at least not yet). Oh, and I'm a klutz, so I'll probably spend a lot of time on the "Outdoor quads" forum asking for advice. It is really a miracle that I've managed to "move" on skates without falling all the time

Nice meeting you all!
Eleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 09:49 AM   #1642
Flyer5.Paul

Red face G'day fellow rollers

I'm Paul, the newest member here.

I'm 46 and reside in Victoria, Australia. I roll at Caribbean Rollerama near where I live.

I've been quad skating for over 30 years and just love it.

I have a set of Flyer5's (hence the nic), with a newish set of 97a Shaman's running hybrib ceramics.

See you 'round....
Flyer5.Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2014, 03:10 AM   #1643
Furai

@ Kgendron71
where you from?
what skates are you using with the dogs?

You will find you go through a lot of wheels.
Furai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 02:53 PM   #1644
Indy rhythm

Hey all, I'm Robert, I'm 44 years young, and I was born and raised in Munich/Germany.
I used to roller skate at our local rink, the ROLLPALAST bitd which is now a bowling place .
Since then it was quiet around skating. I went to San Francisco (Golden Gate Park) in 2001 and saw a group of roller skaters dancing beside a ghettoblaster. This was so much fun watching that I decided to build dance skates for myself based on a pair of Independent skate plates. Right now I own two pairs of Indy skate plates with different axles and axle diameter so I might ask some stupid questions in the next days.

Have fun
Rob
Indy rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 07:18 PM   #1645
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Welcome Rob!
Old December 11th, 2014, 05:01 AM   #1646
Ms_Tex

Hi everyone!

I haven't skated in about 10 years when I skated in-line often. This past weekend, my friend took me to the roller derby world cup in Dallas, which got me thinking about taking up skating for fitness, and maybe getting involved with roller derby as a ref next year. I haven't gotten skates yet because of finances and because I'm not sure what exactly what I want in a pair of quad skates. I know I should get the best skates possible, but I feel guilty buying more expensive skates that will just get beat up while I'm "learning to quad skate again" (mainly outdoors). Plus, I'm not sure if I want more "derby" skates or more "speed" skates. In the mean time, I've dusted off my old in-line skates. Fort Worth has so many great paved trails that I can't wait to explore, even though it's winter (which isn't too bad here in Texas).
Ms_Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2014, 10:00 PM   #1647
oldspeedskater67
"Old school style"

Default NewB

Hey everyone, my name is Roy, I'm 47. I use to be a speed skater in the late 70's, and early 80's. Getting back into skating for exercise mostly. I workout weights, ride a bike, skate slide. I thought I would try skating again. I have twin boys that are 12, and I have them going again. They play a lot of sports, but in the winter it is just one day week. My old speed skates were stolen a few years ago. :-(.
I just ordered a new set, nothing what I had tho. I Figure great times with my boys, and another way to stay in shape. Skates should be here in the next couple of days. I went skating Sunday for the first time in prolly 7 years. It didn't take long, and I was getting it done. Lol I got whistled at to slow down, and I was skating backwards.. Lol anyway looking forward to reading some great new things. I did a lot of research before buying my new skates.. I ended up buying the riedell 265 vandal probe or plus. Has the sure grip probe plate, and fugitive wheels with red bone bearings. I also found a deal on atom lowboy 3.0 wheels, also ordered the red bone bearings for them. Should be good for the skating I'm going to be doing..

Roy
oldspeedskater67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 11:04 PM   #1648
Kittywolf13
Skating Newb

figured this was a good place to start!

Hi everyone! The names Irene and im a skating newb! It started a few weeks ago because my hubby mentioned wanting to do a new hobby and i forget how skating came up. we went that night to sports authority and bought some roller blades... within a week we were skating every day, but something was wrong with my blades... or me and i ended up hating the blades. a friend of mine who used to do derby invited me to the roller rink and i had a blast on quads! So now im in the process of trying to find the perfect quads for me. We skate mostly outdoors because the nearest rink is 30-40mins away, but id love either two sets of wheels or two sets of skates. one for each use! either way i need a pair of quads stat because im obsessed and going crazy not being able to skate!
Kittywolf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 01:24 AM   #1649
darrenm6

My name is Darren McKinnon, and I am the father of 4 kids (Age 8,8,6,3), 3 of which are currently learning to speed skate in Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada. We are moving to Raleigh, NC this spring (I'm here now scoping things out) and we are hoping to find someplace local that wants to start up an ice speed skating program.

All of my kids love racing, and I'd like to see if I can get other kids involved. I have had some interest from a couple of rinks, but nothing definitive yet.

would need:
coaches
skates
padding
ice (lol)

Anyone on here from Raleigh area interested in participating or helping out?
darrenm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 03:01 PM   #1650
Heather_J

Smile Hi :-)

Hi all, I'm Heather. I am from Orlando, FL and I've been skating recreationally for probably 20 years or so. In the few years I have been skating more and more and I absolutely love it! I feel like there is never enough time in a day to skate and work, LOL! I enjoy long distance skates of 20+ miles or so, and I am eager to sign up for skating events and marathons this summer.
Heather_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 03:17 PM   #1651
WJCIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenm6 View Post
Anyone on here from Raleigh area interested in participating or helping out?
Darren, there is already a USARS speed club registered in Raleigh for 2015. That seems to be a good place to start. The team is Interskate, and the primary address is INTERSKATE 530O FAYETTEVILLE, RALEIGH NC 27603. Ron Gammon is the point of contact. The team name doesn't ring any bells for me, but if they are registered for this year there must be some drive behind them.

Good luck competing in the same region as High Point, Piedmont, and Fast Forward.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 03:27 PM   #1652
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJCIV View Post
Darren, there is already a USARS speed club registered in Raleigh for 2015. That seems to be a good place to start. The team is Interskate, and the primary address is INTERSKATE 530O FAYETTEVILLE, RALEIGH NC 27603. Ron Gammon is the point of contact. The team name doesn't ring any bells for me, but if they are registered for this year there must be some drive behind them.

Good luck competing in the same region as High Point, Piedmont, and Fast Forward.
Did you miss the part about him wanting to start an ICE club?
slowsk8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 03:34 PM   #1653
WJCIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsk8 View Post
Did you miss the part about him wanting to start an ICE club?
Yes. Yes, I did. For some reason I read ice on the list as possible cross training and completely missed it in the description.

Well, if there are no coaches then starting with the inline club may give some ideas for technique, some skate time, and drylands until an acceptable ice coach can be found. The team might also be a source of new kids willing to try cross training.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 04:19 AM   #1654
hilary5687

Talking Hello Everyone!

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Hilary. I have just recently gotten back into skating. I grew up skating around my neighborhood, and eventually did aggressive inline skating and played ice hockey (I was a bit of a tomboy ). I got sucked into long distance running in high school, and stopped skating altogether. Then, in college I got in a really bad wreck. I shattered my pelvis and nearly lost my right leg.

That was five years ago. 16 surgeries later and I walk normally. I say all of that because I just went skating for the first time in about a decade 2 weeks ago! Of course I was wearing every form of protection available, but nothing hurt, and I just fell back into the fluidity of skating. I can no longer run, but I can skate! I can't put into words how happy that makes me. Anyway, I'm glad to be back in this sport. I hope I can get to know some of you guys!
hilary5687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 10:27 PM   #1655
Jubbly

Hi

I am Judith, living since a few years in the UK (stunning Cornwall at the moment).
Originally from Holland, where I started skating with pretty rainbow rollerskates and iceskating on the kanals. Ideal country for skating!
I bought inline skates when I was a bit older and enjoyed that a lot on the foot/cyclepaths in Holland. I Haven't been skating for a few years until a friend took me to a rollerdisco a few weeks ago. I've missed i! So my parents sent my inline skates to the UK
Old January 30th, 2015, 08:42 PM   #1656
Mohawk Roller Ranch

Thumbs up

Hello skaters, my name is Chris I am 30 years young and live in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I started skating as a kid, on quad skates and just started again this year. I just bought a home that had an old roller rink on the property. It was called " The Wheel" and to my understanding was open from 1945 -1978. Me and my family have been getting good use out of the maple floors since we moved in. Both my daughters had their birthday parties out here. We have also branched out and visited some of our local area rinks too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Mohawk Roller Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 03:14 AM   #1657
davidb1986

Default Back into skating.....

My name is David from Texas. I'm 28 and work as an EMT on an ambulance. I started inline skating at age 8. At age 13 I got a pair of Variflex X Game Edition Agressive inline skates and started learning tricks. At 14 someone gave me a used pair of 90s K2 Fatties. I stopped aggressive inline skating a couple of years later due to chasing other hobbies.

Fast forward to a month ago. My wife comes home with some Airwalk Recreational Inline skates, and asked me to teach her. Well since I sold the K2 Fatties I dug out my Variflex Skates. Since I hadn't used them since before my K2s I forgot how awful the Variflex were. I now have a used pair of 2014 K2 Fatty pros, and have a set of 2015 Rollerblade Swindlers on the way to try a set of Anti-rockers. I'm about to go to a skate park and relearn some stuff.

I wanted a skate community to support both of our endeavors in skating.
davidb1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 06:09 PM   #1658
HoneyBeeoftheValley
Return beginner

Default Return skater mom near Boston, MA

Hi, all!

I posted earlier in the beginner skating section. Oops!

I'm 38, a homeschool mom of 3 kids ages 13, 11, and 8. I'm in Attleboro, MA, which is an hour south of Boston. Just recently got back into skating (quads) after taking my kids. Used to skate as a teen because that's what everybody here did then. I never really got that good at it besides being able to skate a session without crashing lol. Just discovered the existence of jam skating and roller dancing and I'm dying to get to a point to start learning that. Not the break dancing stuff, but the footwork looks fun! Bought myself a set of Riedell Darts. Plus they're PURPLE!!! <3 I know they're not the best, but they seem to be a good beginner skate. I didn't want to spend all kinds of money while I was just relearning. I can't even really do crossovers well yet or skate backwards, but I hope to practice every week at our local rink. Maybe even get some pointers from the derby girls. The rink I skate at has a team. Been learning a ton from just reading here, but I'm glad I can post now and pick all your brains!
HoneyBeeoftheValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 10:47 PM   #1659
Oicusk82huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilary5687 View Post
I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Hilary. I have just recently gotten back into skating. I grew up skating around my neighborhood, and eventually did aggressive inline skating and played ice hockey (I was a bit of a tomboy ). I got sucked into long distance running in high school, and stopped skating altogether. Then, in college I got in a really bad wreck. I shattered my pelvis and nearly lost my right leg.

That was five years ago. 16 surgeries later and I walk normally. I say all of that because I just went skating for the first time in about a decade 2 weeks ago! Of course I was wearing every form of protection available, but nothing hurt, and I just fell back into the fluidity of skating. I can no longer run, but I can skate! I can't put into words how happy that makes me. Anyway, I'm glad to be back in this sport. I hope I can get to know some of you guys!
Wow, this is truely inspirational. Congrats on surviving, and welcome back skating is the best sport in the world because it is low impact and so much fun, you would never even know you were doing something healthy, there are so many choices too...speed, agressive, slalom, dance, hockey, recreational, I know guys that play skate soccer

Also welcome to everyone else...
-Heather, you'll definitely want to check ou the Great ESkate coming up next week in Miami.

-Jubbly, good thing your parents sent you those skates! Roller Disco! I'm thinking of traveling Europe this summer and will definitely bring my skates.

-David, thanks for bringing back memories of my first great pair of skates in the 90's the Fatties! Had some of the best times in my life on those skates. Much support.

-HoneyBee, awesome! If you really get into it and ever travel to NY, check out Central Park Dance Skate Association some weekend in the summer. If you have fun skating, nothing beats it.

-Mohawk....What??????? You have a freakin old skating rink on your property??? That's my dream!!! Check out some slalom inline skating videos on youtube and see if any of the kids take to it. I seriously think having my own roller rink would make my life complete. SO JEALOUS!!!

Good lock all, and welcome
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2015, 05:13 PM   #1660
1FastT2

Default Hi

Hey Everyone.

Just wanted to introduce myself. Names Brian, I'm from South East Pa, Berks to be exact. I've been skating since I was 13, im now 36 and would like to get back into skating again because its really the only form of exercise that I enjoy. Hahaha. As many of you I was in alot better shape when I was younger and I contribute that all to skating. I use to speed skate back in the day at Jr Skateaway, in fact I use to practice with former Olympic speed skater Allison Baver. Jeff Foster was my coach and a great coach he was. Use to kick out butts every practice!!! Anyways, just wanted to say hi!!!
1FastT2 is offline   Reply With Quote